The Kids are Home... Now What?
Advice for Parents
Making the most of school closure
Although your children are working remotely from home, the days are long when Stetson is closed. We wanted to put together some suggested resources for you to help the days pass more productively.
Good luck! and stay #StetsonStrong
A Sample Day with Ideas to Help Fill the Time
*disclaimer: what follows is a pretty packed day with a lot of transitions. The purpose here is not to impose a structure but to offer ideas for how to break up the time. Think of it as a menu of options; pick and choose what works for your children and your family.
NONE OF THESE ACTIVITIES ARE REQUIRED
- Make breakfast together, see Dr. C's recipe at the end.
- DIY Science project
- Exercise! Here are some Indoor suggestions
- Creative lunch-making
- Second session of schoolwork
- Round 2 of physical activity - we all need it...
- Healthy snack & DIY Crafts project
- Write, rehearse, and perform a play or mock commercial, or dress up time.
- Movie or TV break
- Prepare, eat, and clean up dinner; everyone helps.
- Board Games/showers/read aloud before bed
Baking = great STEM learning
After you've done all the measuring, then you can think about the chemistry of cooking. At what temperature does butter melt? Or water boil? You and your child can generate hundreds of questions and answers about math and science by the simple act of making cookies.
Then, once those cookies are made, there are all kinds of story problems! If everyone in the family gets an equal number of cookies, how many cookies does each person get? What about the ethical dimensions of cookie-making? Who should get the most? The person who cooks? Who cleans? Who buys the groceries? Or should everyone get an equal amount?
Great topics for studying together
1) 6th Grade Science - The Plant Kingdom
2) 7th Grade English - "The Charge of the Light Brigade"
3) 8th Grade History - Ken Burns Civil War - Episode Five: The Universe of Battle
Dr. C's One-Eyed Jack Recipe for Breakfast!
Heat a pan with some butter and begin to brown the bread.
Drop a whole egg in the hole. Salt and Pepper.
After a minute or two, flip the bread/egg over and cover with a slice of American cheese.
Cook until the other side is done and the cheese is barely melted.
Enjoy with a glass of ice cold milk!