Woodcrest Spanish Immersion
January 6, 2021 Newsletter
See translation information below / Consulte la información de traducción a continuación.
Del Escritorio del Sr. Franke
Greetings Woodcrest Families,
I hope this message finds you well rested after winter break, and I wish you a very happy New Year. We here at Woodcrest are excited about what 2021 has in store for our school and your students. It has been fun to hear the excited voices of your children sharing with one another the highlights of their time during the break.
Before winter break, all Minnesota schools, including Woodcrest, received updated guidance from the state on re-opening school for grades preK-6. This week, we have been working on plans to return as many students to at-school learning as possible as soon as possible. We will have more information and an update for all SLP families before the end of the week.
As we create our plans, we are assessing the status of our staff as we come out of the long break and working through updated health and safety guidance. Our plan keeps in mind that the earliest we can begin this transition is Tuesday, January 19. Our intent is to bring students back five days per week. As we make a transition to learning at school, we also will continue to operate our Extended Flexible Learning (distance) model for those who have chosen it.
We are very excited about 2021 and look forward to deepening partnership with you and creating the best experience for your children.
Quarantine guidance updated for COVID-19 exposures
As we anticipate bringing more students back into our schools for learning, we have updated our Quarantine Guidance for COVID-19 Exposure with recent changes from Minnesota Department of Health. There are now criteria and protocols for 7-, 10- and 14-day quarantines after COVID-19 exposure. For any student exposed to COVID-19, please contact our school nurse to consult on the appropriate length of quarantine.
Kindergarten enrollment is open, register for a Kindergarten Connection virtual meeting
We are excited to welcome the Class of 2034! Kindergarten enrollment is now open for the 2021-2022 school year. Learn more and enroll today
Join us for Kindergarten Connect conversations on January 14, 19, 20 or 21. Kindergarten Connect are virtual, small group conversations with no more than 10 families and the school principal. The hour-long sessions are ideal for families new to the school experience who want to learn more about the school, meet members of the team and get answers to questions. Register online for the session that works for you and a link will be provided the day before each event.
Calendar approved for 2021-2022 school year
The calendar for the 2021-2022 school year was approved at the December 15 regular school board meeting. View the detailed calendar.
Important dates include:
- Tuesday, September 7 – First day of school for grades K-8 and Lighthouse students, orientation for grade 9 students and grades 10-12 students new to the high school
- Wednesday, September 8 – First day of school for returning grades 10-12 students who are not new to the high school
- October 18-22 – Fall break
- November 24-26 – Thanksgiving break
- December 23–December 31 – Winter break
- March 11-21 – Spring Break
- Thursday, June 9 – Last day of school
Family Game Night Activity Bags
Thank you to the Family Activity Committee for creating and distributing over 100 free family game night bags to Woodcrest Families and thanks to Bonnie Kienitz who donated all the copy paper for the bags! If you still need to pick up your bag or spirit wear order, email the PTO to arrange a time to meet at the school parking lot.
FREE Digital Logic Games Available
Free Digital Family Game Night for all via Breakout EDU! New puzzles have been released for the month of January. Complete one to be entered into the monthly prize drawing...more details on Facebook/Konstella. Sign up online with code OQXAW6. December's winner is Augustus S. Please email your address to WCSI PTO to claim your prize!
Scholastic Book Club
Woodcrest PTO offers easy to order books that ship directly to your home through Scholastic Book Club. Please visit Scholastic Book Club and enter class code NJ89V. All purchases will help earn FREE books which will be used to support children's literacy at Woodcrest. Questions about Scholastic Book Club can be emailed to PTO.
- January 18- No school for students at Woodcrest Spanish Immersion
- January 19- Kindergarten Connect from 12-1 p.m.
- January 20- Kindergarten Connect from 6-7 p.m.
- January 21- Kindergarten Connect from 4-5 p.m.
- February 8- WCSI PTO Meeting from 6-7 p.m.
Help us stock the Panther Pantry…and have some fun along the way
The Panther Foundation is kicking off Panthers for a Purpose this month with fun for all ages in service of a worthy cause - raising much-needed financial (and food) resources for the Panther Pantry and Weekend Food Pack program. These district programs supply food for children over weekends and breaks when school is not in session. They keep kids fed and ready to learn.
- Tune in to the virtual giving event February 27: In place of its annual gala, the Panther Foundation is producing a unique, first-of-its kind Panther experience on Saturday, February 27, 2021, premiering at 7 p.m. Mark your calendars and plan to participate. Everyone is invited! The event will be virtual, enjoyed from home, is FREE and 100% of the proceeds will support the Panther Pantry and Weekend Food Pack program. There will be an online auction and several surprises. Don’t miss it.
- Participate in three Panther Challenges: In the weeks leading up to the virtual giving event, students and families are encouraged to get involved in three Panther challenges. Challenge #1 kicks off today and runs through the month of January. Collect “Pennies for Packs,” monetary donations, for Weekend Food Packs or collect food to contribute to the Community Food Drive. On January 26 and 27 food and monetary donations will be collected at each school and at the District Services Center, 1415 – 81st Avenue, NE, Spring Lake Park.
As you collect food, search for pennies and engage in the Panther Challenges, we want to see your efforts. Share your photos and videos. All submissions you share will be entered into a drawing for prizes.
Find more information about all of the fun activities planned and all the ways you can support the cause on the Panthers for a Purpose event page.
In case you missed important information from last week's newsletter, check out the topics below and click to learn more.
Translate This Newsletter / Traducir Este Boletín
To translate this newsletter information to another language, please click anywhere on the newsletter to open it in a web browser and at the top of the page, select your language from the dropdown menu.
Para traducir este boletín de noticias a otro idioma, por favor presionen en cualquier lugar del boletín para abrir el boletín en un navegador web y en la parte superior de la página seleccione su idioma del menú.