STEAM with fairy tales Newsletter
Our Special Summer Edition
A few words about our eTwinning Project 'Steam with Fairy Tales'
This project was meant to develop children’s creativity through analyzing well-known fairy tales using STEAM methods.Students were exposed to activities related to Maths, Engineering, Art, Science and Technology.
OUR PROJECT GOALS
- to develop children's creativity
- to strengthen their vocabulary by analyzing stories
- to learn how to express their thoughts and ideas through art
- and creative works
- to improve and expand with the help of scientific teaching methods children's mathematical abilities
- to learn to use ICT tools designed for drawing and more
- for teachers to share experiences on how to apply the STEAM method in their teaching
OUR PROJECT PLAN
- collection of parental consents
- the introductions of teachers, schools
- online meeting (project plan, activities, responsibilities)
- Europe Code Week partIcipation
- students draw scenes of their favorite fairy tales
- students introductions
- each partner will select one fairy tale (preferably related to counting, numbers), find partners for collaboration in small groups and organize activities related to STEAM method in his classroom.
- all partners will suggest classic fairy tale related to magic and students choose one of them by voting. STEAM activities will be organized and shared;
- collaborative online drawings for students (about the chosen fairy tale).
December - January
- challenge for students (can you guess the fairy tale, we have performed to you?)
- online meetings in small groups.
- collaborative work for students:Our collaborative e-book. Time to create our own fairy tale!
- evaluation of the project
- final online meetings for teachers, students
- playing a kahoot game related to what we have learnt in the project
- spreading the word about the project
- final works with project results.
WEB TOOLS USED
ACTIVITIES PERFORMED BY STUDENTS:
Drawings of students' favourite tales
All students were invited to choose their favourite fairy tale and draw one of its scenes in order for the rest of the students to guess the fairy tale. This activity was completed by the creation of an ebook/album of all students' drawings that you may see below!
It was a very exciting activity for all students!
Can you guess the tale?
STEAM with fairy tales: Participation in the "Programming Week for All" challenge
Finally, schools created a team and took part in the "Programming Week for All" challenge where we managed to win the Certificate of Excellence of the Programming Week!
LET'S FOCUS ON FAIRY TALES WITH NUMBERS!
FAIRY TALES WITH NUMBERS ACTIVITY
Our small group collaboration!
- Arsakeio Kindergarten of Thessaloniki
- ScInf San Michele, Terni-Italy
- 145 Kindergarten of Athens
- 5th Kindergarten of Kilkis
We decided to work on the tale 'The 3 Little pigs'
Here is the link to the activities that our students performed related to the fairy tale 'The 3 Little Pigs':
The challenges were given by animals students love!
Kitty the cat
Alex the dog
Linda the bee
These challenges strongly engaged all students who wanted to help the cat, the dog and the bee fulfill their goal!
DRAMA SKILLS CHALLENGE
Act it out! Break a leg!
'WOOLF' Our school's dramatization of the well-known fairy tale
WOOLF Our tale
The story our school chose:
A wolf and a sheep fall in love. They have a son that they call Woolf – he's half wolf, half woolly sheep! This is Woolf's story.
Its about friendship and identity. Wolf friends stick to the appearance of the wolf, and their friends stick to the sheeps figure, so Wolf WOOLF has problems when contacting other animals. It is a very interesting story conveying a strong message!
STEAM ACTIVITIES FOR HANSEL & GRETEL
steAm with HANSEL AND GRETEL
MATHS, ENGINEERING, ART, SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
The bad witch's hat
Let's write a different ending to the tale!
OUR E-BOOK OF STEAM ACTIVITIES FOR HANSEL & GRETEL
Our collaborative Drawing Hansel & Gretel tale
Our collaborative Kahoot game!
So the founders of the project arranged for all schools to meet in groups and play a kahoot game that included questions related to activities that our students performed throughout the year! The result was unbelievable! All schools had so much fun playing this game!