Lion's Mane (Parent Edition)
Your home for MHS news & events. Volume 18
What a week!
Thank you again for your concern regarding last week's safety issue at MHS. I appreciate the number of parents that reached out to our staff demonstrating their concern and notifying us of any new developments. What a great community we have.
I look forward to a smooth week of learning this week. I hope you had a chance to catch the musical that our students put on, Once Upon a Mattress, this past weekend. It showed me again how talented our students are at MHS.
Did you Know?
Lyndon Baines Johnson's (Rebekah) mother was born right here in McKinney, Texas.
The McKinney High School
- 2/1 Yoga Club @ 2:45 K100
- 2/1 softball vs. Celina @ 5:00 (Home)
- 2/1 Girls Soccer vs. Sherman @ 5:30 (Away)
- 2/1 Boys Soccer vs. Sherman @ 7:30 (Away)
- 2/2 Girls Basketball vs. Wylie East @ 6:15 (Away)
- 2/2 Boys Basketball vs. Wylie East @ 7:30 (Away)
- 2/2 Student Outdoor Experience Club
- 2/3 Key Club DS Flex Space
- 2/4 Wrestling District 9-5A Lovejoy HS @ 12:00 (Away)
- 2/4 Powerlifting Frisco Centennial Meet @ 3:00 (Away)
- 2/4 Jesus Christ Movement Club
- 2/4 - 2/6 Swim/Dive Region 3 Diving Frisco Natatorium @ 3:00 (Away)
- 2/4 Track & Field Allen Practice Meet @ 4:00 (Away)
- 2/5 Tennis Ennis Varsity Tournament @ 8:00 am (Away)
- 2/5 Girls Basketball vs. Prosper @ 6:15 (Home)
- 2/5 Boys Basketball vs. Prosper @ 7:30 (Home)
- 2/5 Girls Soccer vs. North @ 5:30 (Home)
- 2/5 Boys Soccer vs. North @ 7:30 (Away)
MORP tickets are on sale again this week. Tickets are $45. Parents, we are in need of chaperones to assist us with making MORP a safe and exciting event for our students. Please visit the sign-up link below if you are interested in chaperoning, or contact Ms. Amanda Gorman, our student council sponsor, at email@example.com
Lost and Found
Interdisciplinary Study and Mentorship (ISM) informational meeting
ISM is a course offered to all MISD 11th and 12th graders. In this course, students conduct in-depth research over a chosen career field and spend second semester mentoring with a professional in that field. Hard-working, high-achieving students who are intrinsically motivated and work well independently thrive in this class. For more information, please attend the informational meeting at McKinney North High School.
McKinney North High School Auditorium
The traditions committee is now accepting applications for their MEF scholarship. The committee will offer one $2,000 scholarship and two $1,500 scholarships. Visit the MHS website to apply.
Does your student want to make the news
Applications for MHS1, Manestream News and the Lion Yearbook are now available at Manestreamnews.com/apply.
An easy way to support MHS
United Supermarkets, parent company of Market Street, Albertsons and others has recently implemented a contest to give back to communities. The Shop to Support Schools contest will run through October 8, 2016. During that time any guest that shops in a United Supermarkets, Market Street, Amigos or Albertsons will be given the opportunity to link their Rewards account to McKinney High School. For more information, visit http://www.shoptosupportschools.com/.
Safety and Security
- Parents, as a reminder, please be prepared to show your ID when entering the building (even for those we recognize).
- We will only release your child to who is listed in eSchool & Hall Pass, this includes having lunch with your child.
McKinney Education Foundation Information (MEF)
The MEF Scholarship will open on January 5th. The application is open to all MISD Seniors and can be found on MEF’s website (www.mmeeff.com). The deadline to have all materials turned in is February 12th at 4:00pm. It is highly recommended that ALL seniors apply for to this scholarship. If you or your student have any questions, please sign up for an appointment with Ms. Ribble here: http://goo.gl/forms/0nSkd2mvbP.
Cheerleading and Mascot Information
Friday, 2/19 @ 5:00 p.m. Online forms are due
Monday, 2/29 @ 3:00 p.m-5:00 p.m.--JV and Varsity clinic
@ 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m.--Freshmen clinic
Tuesday 3/1 @ 3:00 p.m-5:00 p.m.--JV and Varsity clinic
@ 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m.--Freshmen clinic
Wednesday 3/2 Final evaluations @ 3:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m.
Friday 3/4 Tryout results posted after 4:00 p.m.
Monday, March 21st - Wednesday, March 23rd 4:30-6:30
Dance Clinics will be held at MHS in the gym. Candidates will learn a dance routine, kick routine and complete flexibility training during these clinics.
Thursday, March 24th
4:30 pm – 8:00 pm
Auditions will be held at the campus that you are auditioning for in the gym.
Results will be posted on the team website after the conclusion of team tryouts.
McKinney HS students doing great things
Congratulations to our UIL Academic team for taking 2nd place at the Cardinal Classic this weekend.
Some of the big winners were as follows:
- Udani Satarasinghe wins 1st in headline writing. Nicole Stuessy wins 3rd.
- In congressional debate: Mickey Bilyeu 6th, Miranda Cassidy 5th, Noah Jeffries 3rd, Andrew Bellah 2nd, Justin Burch 1st
- Lamaje Colson places 2nd in dramatic interpretation
- In original oratory: Hannah Couch 6th, Paxton Bliven 5th, Paul Castle 4th
- Bridget Dunsmore places 4th in prose
- Noah Jeffries places 5th in poetry
- Justin Burch places 2nd in persuasive extemporaneous
- Humorous interp: Matt Sullivan 6th, Jordan Baird 5th, Jack Bilyeu 3rd
- Justin Burch places 3rd in LD Debate
- Jakob Chow places 5th in science
- In Editorial Writing: 1st Nicole Stuessy, 2nd Johnny Millar, 6th Alicia Stokes
- Udani Satarasinghe places 1st in Feature Writing
- Nicole Stuessy places 4th in News Writing
- Therese Camaligan places 4th in Ready Writing
Articles of Note
Did you know next year 75% of MHS students will have a school issued digital device? This article is one of many that shows how digital learning can enhance the learning experience.
How to stay connected
- Lion's Mane (Parent Edition) every Monday
- MHS Facebook page
- MHS Twitter page
- Remind 101 (text @themck to 81010)
- MHS Webpage (although this is not updated as quickly as other methods)
- Phone Callouts
If for some reason you are not receiving MHS information in your preferred medium, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I want you to be informed in a timely manner about all things MHS.