SARANAC LAKE HIGH SCHOOL
August 2020 Newsletter
New/ Updated Procedures
- Hand sanitizer and cleaning supplies will be in each classroom
- Physical distancing and good hygiene reminders are posted and will be enforced throughout the building
- Directional traffic flow through the building will reduce person to person contact
- Parents will be required to fill out a home screening form, which will be provided by the district before students can board the bus each day. Students will need to provide the form to a staff member before their child can enter the building.
- In order to maintain social distancing in classrooms, students have been placed in cohort groups ("homeroom" on your schedule) that they will remain with throughout the day. Staff will move to the students, and student movement throughout the building will be limited.
- Students and staff are required to wear masks AND maintain social distancing while on the bus, in class, and on school grounds.
- Students will be in school from 10:15-4:30
- High School Campus/ Building opens @ 10:05
- Transition to a 4 Block schedule:
-> Block 1: 10:25-11:40
-> Block 2: 11:45-1:00
-> Lunch: 1:05-1:45
-> Block 3: 1:50-3:05
-> Block 4: 3:10-4:25
- Arrival: Drivers, walkers and bikers will line up on the walkway in front of the high school, six feet apart and go into the building using Door 2. Busers and parent drop offs will be met by and then released by a staff member. When released, students will line up on the walkway, six feet apart and go into the building using Door 20, which is the door under the connector bridge. Students without parent screening forms will go to Door 1. There will a staff member at all three doors who will take each student's temperature. If they are too high, they will be asked to enter the building at Door 1, manned by the school nurse (the nurse will be able to re-screen and make a determination/isolate the student at that location). If a rescreened student temperature is under 100, they are good to go (temp under 100), they will be permitted to enter the building and report to their cohort location (homeroom on schedule). At all three doors, the sidewalks will be marked showing students where to stand.
- Dismissal: The PA will be used to dismiss students, and staff members will assist students out of the building. When all the buses have arrived on campus (4:20ish), we will dismiss cohorts a few rooms at at a time with a staff member. Once all the buses have left the campus (4:30ish), we will dismiss walkers, drivers and students being picked up.
- We will have a closed campus until further notice. Students will not be allowed to leave for lunch and we are not allowing guests in the building.
News from the Guidance Office
- Mr. Tim Simmons works with students with last names (A-K) and Mrs. Christine Bell works with students (L-Z). You will notice this on the schedules.
- All Students: The Guidance Office website will have important information for all students. To access the website, please visit: https://sites.google.com/a/slcs.org/slhs-counseling-office/
- Freshmen: Mrs. Bell and Mr. Simmons will be reaching out to you all in September. We're excited to meet all of you!
- Sophomores: Make sure you have everything in your schedule (core classes, PE, health). If you are missing something, please let the Guidance Office know ASAP.
- Juniors: The PSATs will be held at the High School in October. If you are interested in taking the exam, please let the Guidance Office know.
- Seniors: We will be reaching out to you to talk about SAT/ACT testing, college, and financial aid in the weeks to come. If you would like to take the SAT at Saranac Lake, the test will be available in October and November. The ACT will also be available to you in December. Also, Mrs. Bell and Mr. Simmons will be reaching out to all of you to talk about college or your future plans. Please be checking your email frequently for updates and important information regarding these topics.
Your 2020-2021 schedule is enclosed and is also accessible through the SchoolTool portal. The scheduling process began last January. Counselors met with students, selection sheets or Google Forms were completed and course selections were mailed home with a message encouraging families to review. Please understand that elective courses originally selected may not appear on the final schedule. Every effort was made to keep the original student requests, however, courses may have been replaced with an alternate course. The homeroom listed at the top of the schedule will be where students will report when they are in school. Please ignore the period numbers that are listed as we will follow our 4 block instruction schedule until further notice.
Changes to student schedules may only be made for the following reason(s):
- FAILURE OF A GRADUATION REQUIREMENT WHICH MUST BE MADE UP
- LESS THAN THE MINIMUM 6.5 CREDIT/ YEAR REQUIREMENT IS MET
- SUCCESS OR FAILURE OF A SUMMER SCHOOL COURSE NOT FACTORED INTO THE SCHEDULE AND NEEDS TO BE UPDATED
- ADDING A COURSE
On the first day of school, all students will receive a copy of their schedule.
Instruction Schedule & Expectations
- The SLHS 2020-2021 Instruction Schedule is below.
- In person instruction for 9th & 11th graders will be on Mondays and Thursdays and 10th & 12th graders will be in school on Tuesdays and Fridays. Remote instruction for 9th & 11th graders will be on Tuesdays and Fridays and 10th & 12th graders will be on Mondays and Thursdays. Wednesdays are a remote instruction day for all students.
- Instruction will be delivered utilizing a variety of techniques, but will rely heavily on Google Classroom & Google Meets. Utilizing these platforms allows students and staff to transition to remote learning much easier in the event that we are required to do so.
- Attendance will be taken every day, including days when students learn remotely. Wednesdays' remote instruction will consist of a Google Classroom assignment or some other work that students must complete in order to receive credit and be marked as present for Wednesday.
- Chromebooks will be provided to students on the first day of school. If you aren't expected on the first day of school or have chosen remote instruction, the district will deliver your chromebook to your house.
- Students will need to bring a pair of headphones/ earbuds to school everyday they are in the building. We have purchased a pair or earbuds for all HS students, but unsure if they will arrive in time.
- Students will need a TI 84 Plus calculator for all math classes. Students who are in need of a loaner, please reach out to your teacher.
AEC (BOCES) & New Vision Schedule
- Seniors will attend AEC on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday from 8:25 to 10:55. They will attend SLHS on Friday from 10:15-4:30. The BOCES bus will leave the SLHS at 8:25 and return at 10:55. We are working with the transportation department to pick seniors up at their house in the a.m. if needed and bring them to the SLHS. Seniors are dismissed on their AEC days at 10:55 and can leave campus. If students need to stay on campus, they will need to make arrangements with the main office.
- Juniors will attend AEC on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday from 11:30-2:15. They will attend SLHS on Thursday from 10:15-4:30. Juniors can come to the SLHS as early as 10:15 and the the bus will leave the SLHS at 11:30 and return at 2:15. Juniors are dismissed on their AEC days at 2:30 and can leave campus. If Juniors need to stay on campus, they will need to make arrangements with the main office.
- Students may drive alone to AEC and parents can also drop students off.
- On Wednesdays, we are working with the transportation department to bring students home after they are dismissed from AEC.
Paperwork that needs to be returned ASAP
- Chromebook Acknowledgement Form (after you receive it)
- Student Information Sheet (Please add Student's Cell Number at the top of the sheet)
- Free/ Reduced Meals Paperwork (If applicable)
- Handbook Policy Form (Handbook was emailed to all families and is available on the SLHS website under forms and documents)
- Photo Release Form (Only for 9th Grade and New Students)
- Military Opt Out Form (Only for 11th & 12th graders)
- Thursday, August 27th - Freshman Virtual Open House @ 6:00pm (Click HERE to Join)
- Monday, August 31st - Grade Level Google Class Meetings (Invites will be emailed to students)
-> 10th Grade @ 10:00am
-> 11th Grade @ 11:30am
-> 12th Grade @ 1:00pm
- Tuesday, September 8th - First Day of School!
Joshua Dann, Principal