A newsletter for Alta Vista Staff~Week of October 30, 2017
Don't Forget! Next Week's Calendar
- Wear Pink for Breast Cancer on Monday, October 30
- Math District Support on Monday, October 30
- Boo to Bullies on Tuesday, October 31 **Wear SUPERHERO SHIRT**
- GT Nominations DUE Tuesday, October 31
- District Science Test on Wednesday, November 1
- Faculty Meeting on Wednesday, November 1 **Bring your laptop**
- 4th & 5th Grade Symphony Field Trip on Thursday, November 2
- Logan & Helton & Boggess at Training on Thursday, November 2
- Mayborn Museum Night on Thursday, November 2 **Families Invited!**
- District Math Test on Friday, November 3
- PLCs on Friday, November 3 **QUESTIONING**
- Grades Due on Friday, November 3
COMING UP! Parent Conference Week & Book Fair 11/6-11/10/17
From Your Captain
A trend that we see across the campus during walk throughs is lower level questions and lack of student-to-student discussion. Please work to purposely plan these and then execute them during the actual lesson.
The Waco ISD Super 7 Skills to focus on are: high expectations, posted objective, active word walls, weekly planning, daily writing, academic vocabulary, and advanced questioning. These should be part of your weekly routine for lesson planning with your team.
Classroom Tip: Morning Meeting is a great way to discuss the weekly school commitment. You can ask a different question each day like:
-What are the expectations for dismissal?
-How can you help keep yourself and others safe at dismissal?
-Why is it important for you to go straight to your dismissal location?
-Do you have some ideas on how we can help make dismissal safer?
PLCs on Friday, October 27
Don't forget to bring your blue PLC Binder with your questioning strategies from Mrs. York.
Here is the Google Drive Folder with Questioning Resources: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BzPtZw5xT-LdQ3FqYUtKeW9ZVEU?usp=sharing
Some examples of accommodations are:
- Indivdiualized Structured Reminders
- Math Manipulatives
- Supplemental Aides (Pictures of: math charts, graphics, science graphics, fraction bars, shapes, money, etc.)
- Extra Time
- Oral Administration
- Content & Language Supports (Online only)
- Calculation Aids
- Spelling Assistance
Online resource about accommodations: http://lead4ward.com/docs/Quick_Look_Designated_Supports_Locally_Approved_2018_REV.pdf
**SPECIAL NOTE: Accommodations as listed in a 504 or Special Education plan are required to be implemented by law. This is NOT optional. **