Oct. 15, 2021
I hope everyone enjoyed their long weekend. I know the staff was rejuvenated with their new learning and ready to implement it. We have several events coming up so continue to read through the newsletter so you don't miss out. We are excited to host these events and can't wait to have families on campus.
Together in Learning,
After School Enrichment
Afterschool enrichment session 2 registration is open through October 18th! Sign up today! https://sites.google.com/leanderisd.org/leander-isd/click-here-session-2-registration/tarvin
Reminders for Tarvin newsletter and/or website:
Orientation Date: October 19 @ 6pm.
Zoom meeting ID: 231 431 1189
Password: Tarvin (case sensitive)
Program start date: Nov 1
A google doc will be sent out for volunteers to select a date in advance.
Reminder that all volunteers MUST be an approved LISD volunteer.
If interested in volunteering please email: Michelle Tate
Admin contact: Erin Uhlaender
All report cards will be electronic. You can access it through Home Access Center. The Report Card page displays your student's most recent report card, if available. The report includes the student's courses and descriptions, class periods, teachers, rooms, credits attempted and earned, attendance, grades, and comment codes. A grading scale is provided to explain certain marks, while the legend at the bottom of the page provides a key to the comments your student has received.
To display the Report Card page, click Grades on the HAC menu, then click the Report Card tab. View report card details
• To view additional details on a course, click its description link to display the Home Access Course window.
• If a mark displays as a link, click the link to display the Classwork window. The window lists
assignment dates, scores, points for classwork, and classwork average information.
Red Ribbon Week: October 25th-29th
Monday the 25th – Red Ribbon Day. Wear something red to kick off Red Ribbon Week.
Tuesday the 26th – Rocking healthy choices! Dress like a rockstar.
Wednesday the 27th – Brave choices to the rescue! Dress like a superhero.
Thursday the 28th – Character Counts! Dress as your favorite storybook character.
Friday the 29th – Follow your Dreams! Wear your pajamas.
Veterans Day Celebration: Nov. 11th at 8:00AM
We would also like to honor our Veterans by showcasing them at school and during the program. If you have a veteran you would like to honor, please complete this form and email it to Leigh.firstname.lastname@example.org or you can print it and bring it to school. Please send it in by Nov. 3rd so we can add it to the slideshow.
Turkey Trot: Nov. 12th
We are so excited to invite you to “trot” along with your student(s) in Tarvin’s First Annual
Turkey Trot on November 12th! Come take on the obstacles together or cheer your student(s)
on from the sideline. We are looking forward to bringing the community together and celebrating
our health going into the holiday season.
Turkey Trot T-shirts will be for sale for $15 each plus tax (+$2.00 for XXL), and can be
purchased online. Both adult sizes and youth sizes are available. Our wonderful art teacher, Ms. Dufeau, created the design and she did such an amazing job! Each shirt purchased will allow the PE department to get new equipment to enhance our program. The online shop will open on October 11th and close on October 25th. You can order your shirt here. Students will receive their shirts in PE during the week of November 8th.
In addition, volunteers will be needed to help our race run smoothly. We will need race monitors and people to run the water stand. If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out this Google Form. ALL volunteers and spectators will need to check into the office on the day of the Turkey Trot for a visitors pass. Please fill out this Google Form to RSVP for a visitor pass.
Run times for all grade levels will be during their regular Innovation times:
Early Childhood: 8:00-8:40 am
All t-shirt orders MUST be submitted by October 25th! Thank you so much for your support of
Tarvin Elementary. We are excited to see you soon!
Coach Roberts and Coach Kubiszyn
Reflection Contest Deadline is Oct. 31st!
The Battle of the Texas Bluebonnets contest has officially started! All Bluebonnet books will be available for check out starting tomorrow morning. Students may have ONE Bluebonnet book at a time.
1) These are the top 20 books selected by the Texas Bluebonnet Committee that were chosen from thousands of books nominated by parents, teachers, and librarians.
2) The 20 books represent a diverse variety of genres, themes, grade levels, and lengths. There are short picture books (Everybody), Biographies, Non-Fiction, Poetry, and quite of few different chapter book genres (Realistic Fiction, Historical Fiction, Humor, Adventure, etc.)
3) These books are written for 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students.
**Since there are some higher level books, no one is expected to read all 20. I emphasized that they should start with the shorter books, and work their way up to the longer chapter books. They are ALWAYS welcome to return a book if it turns out it is too difficult or just not interesting. They can always switch it out for a different book.
4) After a student finishes a book, he/she can take a quick 5-question quiz over the book through my LibGuide.
**(We are going to practice reading one of the Bluebonnets (The Honeybee) and actually logging in to take the test together this week and next week during their library class).
**They will need to log into their Google Chrome account if they take the test at home. If they are taking it on their chromebook at school, it should already show that they are logged in and take them right to the quiz.
5) I encourage students to HAVE THE BOOK WITH THEM when they take the quiz. This is NOT a memory test..it's a READING test. I told them that just like when they take the STAAR test, it's okay to go back and look through the story to make sure they select the correct answer.
**If they get 4 out of 5 (80%) or higher, the book counts. Their name will appear on our Book Wall underneath the book they read. I will put a "GREEN" square paper in your box to hand out to them. They can keep these in their Reading Journal/Folder or wherever they want to keep track of the books they have completed
6) Once they have their name under 5 books on the Book Wall, I will ask them to come down so I can take their picture for our WALL OF FAME! They will also be invited down to my special Voting Ceremony at the end of January. I will enter their votes into the Texas Database, and the winning book will be announced in February!
7) Students can read the book by themselves, with a buddy, with their parents, and even with you in class. Students are able to take quizzes on any books that you read to them as well. MANY of the Bluebonnet books are also found on our SORA. I will be going over SORA on their next library rotation if they don't know how to use it yet.
Oct. 16th: WATCH D.O.G. Night 6:00 PM
Oct. 20th: Unity Day, wear orange
- Early Release Day 1:25PM
Oct. 25th: Red Ribbon Week
Oct. 27th: Early Release Day 1:25 PM
Oct. 28th: Trunk or Treat 5PM to 7PM
Nov. 2nd: No School
Nov. 8th-12th: Book Fair
Nov. 10th: Picture Retakes
- Early Release Day 1:25 PM
Nov. 11th: Veterans Day Program 8:00 AM
- Literacy Night: 5 PM to 7 PM
Nov. 12th: Turkey Trot: During Innovation Times
Nov. 17th: Early Release
Nov. 19th: Thanksgiving Lunch
- Career Day: 8:00-9:30 AM
Nov. 22nd-26th: Thankgiving Break
If you want to highlight a staff member to let them know you appreciate their great work or support, complete this form and they will receive a certificate with your kind words.