SMCHS News Update
Wednesday, December 2, 2020
"In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love." Saint Teresa of Calcutta
Friday, December 4: No School
Tuesday, December 8: School Mass--Feast of the Immaculate Conception @10:52am
Friday, December 11: Chapel Mass @7:15am / First Friday Adoration
Monday, December 14-Friday, December 18: Christmas Spirit Week
Wednesday, December 16: School Mass @10:52am
Thursday, December 17: SMCS Music Christmas Special @6:30pm (livestream)
Monday, December 21: Christmas Break Begins
Monday, January 4: School Resumes
For a complete calendar listing, view our Google calendar online.
Emergency Notification System
Winter Sports Update
Boys and girls basketball: Big East site
Boys Hockey: Fox Cities Stars
VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED!
Parent volunteers are necessary for our program. Families are required to help fill five volunteer spots per student, per co-curricular activity (to a maximum of 20 spots per family annually). Parents do not have to use one of their two student-athlete passes for a volunteer position. Unfortunately, there will will not be a student section or general admission for any of our events. If you do not have a student-athlete playing in a sport you would like to watch, this is your only opportunity to watch a team play.
SMCS Booster Club has more than 2,000 volunteer slots to fill each year. Because every co-curricular athletic activity and club benefits from Booster Club funds, families of participants in every activity are required to help.
Please continue to call the school office with any absences. If you are concerned about symptoms, positive cases or exposure, please call our Covid Screener at 920-716-7139 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support St. Patrick's Parish!
SCHOOL COUNSELING NEWS
Fox Valley Technical College (FVTC) Admissions Fast Start
Students may apply for admission free of charge and talk with an Admissions Specialist by joining FVTC’s virtual Fast Start event on Wednesday, December 9, between 8am – 6pm.
ZAPS ACT Test Prep Seminar
SMCHS is hosting the ZAPS ACT Test-Prep Seminar on Saturday, February 27 from 9:00am-3:00pm.
If you are not familiar with ZAPS, the ACT seminar includes:
- Five hours of focused strategy instruction by a highly trained instructor
- 24 practice tests for the ACT and ZAPPING the ACT Study Guide
- Specific strategies for each type of question on the ACT
- General test-taking methods for lifelong success
- Test-specific time-management techniques
- Explanations for each question and answer on the practice tests
- Unique system for analyzing errors to identify strengths and weaknesses
- Instruction for writing a high-scoring Essay
- Much more!
Students who would like to attend may register here.
UW HELP One-on-One Sessions
UW HELP is offering one-on-one sessions for students wanting assistance completing the online application for admissions, looking for general information about a specific UW campus, or seeking guidance with the admissions process. Students can go online and schedule a 15-minute session with one of UW HELP’s Outreach Specialists. To schedule a one-on-one session, please click here.
Youth Apprenticeship (YA) Information Night
Current sophomores, juniors and their parents/guardians are invited to attend a virtual Youth Apprenticeship Information Night on December 7 at 5:30pm. Please click here to register. If you are unable to attend, you may register online and information will be emailed to you after the event. YA programs include Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources; Architecture & Construction; Arts/ A/V Technology & Communications; Finance; Health Science; Hospitality, Tourism & Lodging; Information Technology; Manufacturing; Marketing; Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM); Transportation, Distribution & Logistics.
University of Wisconsin Madison Information
- UW-Madison Virtual Open House is on December 4 from 8:30am-5:00pm.
- Seniors - February 1st is the Regular Decision Deadline (click here for information about required application materials and here for information on deadlines)
ALL high school students can learn more about UW-Madison:
- Talk to current students.
- Find out more about what we look for in our applicants to UW-Madison.
- View the UW-Madison virtual tour available 24/7
- Schedule a “Chat with a current UW-Madison student tour guide”
- Join other live information sessions from academic programs, majors, and campus resources at Visit Bucky
- Watch pre-recorded information sessions at Visit Bucky
Counselors will begin meeting with juniors and their parents on December 8 to discuss academics, post high school planning, testing (ACT/SAT/PSAT), transcripts, career and college resources and graduation requirements. Information will be emailed to parents this week.
Badger Boys State (BBS) & Badger Girls State (BGS)
BBS and BGS are summer programs that help students who have completed their junior year of high school become better informed citizens on how our government functions. For more information visit the Badger Girls State and Badger Boys State websites. Opportunities will be discussed during junior conferences.
Understanding the Financial Aid Process--Virtual Presentations
Ripon College Office of Financial Aid is happy to share a virtual step-by-step guide to filing the FAFSA and the financial aid process for all students planning to attend private, public or technical schools after graduation. This is the same financial aid evening program offered at SMCHS in the past. Click on the links below for each topic:
FVTC FAFSA Help
Fox Valley Technical Institute is hosting virtual FAFSA workshops on Thursdays (except when the college is closed). The next event is scheduled for November 19 at 9:00am. Students and their families can log in and get assistance completing the FAFSA from start to finish here. Chrome is the recommended browser.
Senior Transcripts & Applications
- Students request transcripts in Naviance for electronic delivery to colleges and universities.
- Requests for hard copies should be emailed directly to email@example.com.
- Students interested in pursuing a Certificate of Global Competence, must work with their World Language teacher to complete the forms and requirements.
Scholarships can be found on the Naviance home page under Colleges/Scholarships & Money. Seniors should check Naviance weekly for updates.
- Scholarship list = current active list of scholarships with due dates and link to the application
- National Scholarship Search = comprehensive, safe database. Over 3.5 million scholarships with total awards over $18 billion