The Mighty Bear Times
Bears Bulletin: Summer Edition July 2021
In This Edition:
- Message from Principal Greer
- Important Dates
- Enrollment & Re-Opening Updates
- Summer Reminders: Uniforms, Before/Aftercare, Summer Reading
A Message From Principal Greer
Greetings Miner Families,
I hope everyone is enjoying their summer break thus far. I am humbled and excited to introduce myself as the Principal of Miner Elementary School. My first introduction to the Mighty Miner Bears was the summer of 2017 when I was invited to do face painting at Principal Jackson's first Popsicles with the Principal event. I knew then that the Miner students and families were extra special. It's amazing how things have come full circle. It is a great honor to continue the great work that has happened under Mr. Jackson's leadership. I did not step into this role lightly, I gave it much prayer and consideration, but Miner's commitment to equity and student success is what let me know I am where I belong. My journey in education started in Atlanta Public Schools and I transitioned to D.C Public Schools 9 years ago. During my time in DCPS I have served as a teacher, TLI Teacher Leader, Instructional Coach, and Assistant Principal. I lead by the core values of love, integrity, clear vision, and excellence. My motto is Excellence through Self-Efficacy. That means that when students and teachers believe in their capacity to put in the effort to reach their goals, we will meet the bar for excellence.
A little bit about me beyond school; I am very committed to my faith, family, and DIY home projects. I am also an advocate for mental health awareness and destigmatizing therapy in my community. The joy of my life is my niece Ellarie who will be turning 2 years old at the end of this month. My most recent home improvement project was a board and batten accent wall in my dining area. The book I am currently reading is How To Be An Anti-Racist by Ibram X. Kendi. I am very transparent that as a black woman I am on my own journey of learning and challenging mindsets to ensure that I and those who interact with children show up each day are actively antiracist. My personality leans more on the side of being an introvert, but I love meeting new people and building strong relationships. With that in mind, I am looking forward to meeting you and learning about your families, hopes and dreams for your child as well as Miner ES.
I know that the 21-22 SY brings quite a bit of change with returning to fully in-person and having a new principal. With change comes a myriad of thoughts, questions, and emotions. It is my goal to hear your questions and feedback as I am taking this time to learn about Miner and plan for the start of school in the fall. I will be sharing my entry plan in the coming weeks that gives more detail about my roadmap to learn and plan collaboratively around what is in the best interest of the Miner community and most importantly our students. DCPS is working tirelessly to prepare for a strong recovery while prioritizing safety, maximizing learning, and promoting equity. As guidelines and initiatives are finalized, we will begin to share more detailed plans in early August.
I am excited and welcome your conversation and positive input throughout this year. I look forward to celebrating our successes and learning from our missteps. Together we will make this a great year for our Mighty Miner Bears!
I am sending well wishes and health for you and your families throughout the remaining days of summer!
- Summer Acceleration Academy: 8:45-1:00
- Popsicles with the Principal: 1:00-3:00 (on the playground)
- Evening Enrollment & A Movie: 4:00-6:00 (a time for families to enroll or bring documents)
- National Night Out @ Lincoln Park: 5:00-8:00
- Family Engagement Event (more details to come)
- Targeted Enrollment Event (more details to come)
- ECE and New Family Orientation (more details to come)
- FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL (Kindergarten-5th)
- FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL (ECE)
We are in the process of finalizing details for upcoming family engagement events and student playdates. Please save the dates on your calendar and details of the events will be shared as soon as they are finalized.
DCPS 21-22 SY RE-OPENING UPDATES
Your child must be fully enrolled and up to date on immunizations in order to start the new school year. Please ensure you have completed the enrollment packet bit.ly/enrollatminer or https://enrolldcps.dc.gov for more information on enrollment. When completing the enrollment forms online, make sure all blanks with the red asterisk* are filled in. If you have any questions please contact the school at 202-397-3960.
- Miner Elementary School will be offering in-person enrollment during the summer on Wednesdays from 10 am - 2 pm until August 11, 2021. Please make sure to bring an updated immunization record and proof of DC residence (drivers' license/ identification & vehicle registration, current lease with payment, DC gov. financial assistance, pay stub or utility bill with payment. Enrollment is necessary every year. Additionally, this is your opportunity to provide the school with updated contact information.
Please visit https://dcpsreopenstrong.com/sy21-22/ for the most current information regarding DCPS' full reopening for the coming school year. All health and safety guidance for the 21-22 school year can be found at this site.
- Please review the DCPS updates and submit any pertinent questions you have in the form below. As answers are confirmed they will be shared widely.
- DCPS Is starting a Parent University series on returning to in-person learning. It begins this Thursday, July 22nd and goes through August 17th. See the flyer below. You can register at bit.ly/dcpsrecover
Please continue to visit coronavirus.dc.gov for the most current COVID information for DC residents.
Summer Reminders & Updates
Miner ES will remain a uniform school for the 21-22SY. The uniform colors are:
- Dark blue bottoms (everyone)
- White, light blue, or navy-blue polos (everyone)
- Navy-blue polos (suggested for ECE)
- Any Miner school gear
Before and Aftercare
- More information is coming soon as we are finalizing Before and Aftercare programming. The DCPS Out of School Time program application is open. There is currently a waitlist. If you are interested please complete the application and we will share more information as additional programming in confirmed
- OSTP Afterschool Application (must be completed on a computer): https://dcps.dc.gov/asp
Summer Reading (see graphics)
- Summer is a crucial time and students can lose up to three months of reading gains during the summer. Please help and encourage your child to read for the remainder of the summer. Some tips to help your child with their reading:
- Ensure that books are accessible to the student.
- Books that match students reading level and interest.
- The most important part of reading is for an adult to ask the students questions and guide them to better understand what they are reading.
- As the students' summer comes to an end, here is one creative way to engage with your student with a fun activity.
- Classroom assignments have not been finalized and will be shared in mid-August. There will be an opportunity to meet classroom teachers prior to the first day of school.