Chapel of the Cross Faith & Family
Family Bible time for the week of August 23-29
Welcome to Chapel's Faith & Family!
Jesus' First Miracle
Why are signs important? What do they do?
Early in His ministry, Jesus was invited to a wedding. Jesus’ mother, Mary, was there too. Jesus brought along His disciples. Wedding celebrations at that time lasted several days. But early in this party, the wine ran out. This would have been very embarrassing to the family. So Mary asked Jesus to help—and then told the servants to do whatever He said. When Jesus told
the servants to fill up six large jars with water, they must have wondered at Him. But they did it. What happened next was a sign to Jesus' followers--a sign that pointed to who Jesus really is!
Dear Jesus, You want all people to come to know You as their Savior. Help us see and understand the signs in Your Word that tell us about You, and help us share the truth about You with others. Amen.
Bible Lesson: Jesus' First Miracle
- Open your family Bible or a Children's Bible storybook and read this account together OR
- Read this account using an online Bible (Biblegateway.com) OR John 2:1-11
- Listen to the Bible account being read using the video below.
Talk about it
- What was the problem at the wedding?
- How did Jesus help?
- What happened as a result of Jesus’ miracle?
- God often uses ordinary things (water, wine, bread) to show His extraordinary power. How does God use water, bread, and wine in the church service today?
The bride and groom ran out of wine. Jesus turned water into the best wine.
Not only were the bride and groom saved from embarrassment but, through this miracle, this sign, Jesus’ disciples also believed in Him as the Son of God.
God uses ordinary water combined with His Word in Baptism to wash away sins and make us His children. God uses ordinary bread and wine in Holy Communion to give us forgiveness of sins and to strengthen our faith.
Jesus . . . manifested His glory. John 2:11
Things To Do Together
The Lord's Prayer
Dear Jesus, we know that You love us and that You provide all good things for us here on earth. Thank You providing the most important thing of all, forgiveness of sins through Your death and resurrection. Help us to share this good news with everyone. In Your name we pray. Amen.
Bible Lesson: Concordia Publishing House
Chapel of the Cross--Lutheran
Our Core Values:
- Empowered by the cross of Christ
- People working together
- Opening the Word to all people
- Showing the love of Jesus
- Warm and supportive environment