Modern Day Slavery Awareness
It's a thing, and it's everywhere
What is Modern Day Slavery?
- There are more slaves today than every before
- There are currently about 27 million people enslaved
- The average cost of a slave is $90 but can be lower or higher depending on where you are
- The majority of slaves are in Africa and Asia, however there are still a high amount in more developed countries, such as the United States
- Trafficking is estimated to be a 32 billion dollar industry
- Over 1 million children enter the sex trade industry each year
- Every single minute, 2 or more children are forced into slavery
- Many people are scammed into becoming slaves after being offered "a job", which in reality is hard labor and constant debt.
- Many slaves nowadays are sex slaves
- Slaves are found in every country in the world
- An estimated 100,000 American citizens are trafficked each year as well as 18,00 to 20,000 foreigners trafficked INTO the U.S. each year
Rahman, Matiur. "35.8 Million People Trapped in Modern-Day Slavery." Prothom Alo International. N.p., n.d. Web. Nov.-Dec. 2015. <http://www.en.prothom-alo.com/international/news/56357/35.8-million-people-trapped-in-modern-day-slavery>.
"Modern Day & Histori..." Emaze Presentations. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Nov. 2015. <https://www.emaze.com/@AIIOQQRL/Modern-Day-&-Historical-Slavery>.
Kelly, Annie. "The Faces of Modern-day Slavery – in Pictures." The Guardian. N.p., n.d. Web. Nov.-Dec. 2015. <http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/gallery/2013/apr/03/faces-modern-day-slavery-in-pictures>.
"Polaris." Polaris. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Nov. 2015. <http://polarisproject.org/>.