Freshman Center Free Press
September 16, 2016
Quote of the Week
"Teaching is like driving a car 100MPH and trying to change the oil at the same time!"
- Carolyn McKanders
Three weeks down!!
The quote above is VERY true in our profession. Whether it is an "oil change", "head light replacement" or "front end alignment", working with students will challenge us in many ways. That is the beauty of our profession! We get to make positive, lasting impacts on the young men and women we interact with everyday. We can help them "run more efficient" while teaching them skills in critical thinking, problem solving, time management, etc. In our world, we cannot just sell "the car" and buy a new one. We have to figure out ways to improve "the cars" that we have and, the BEST part is, we can do this together. Lean on each other for professional input (I'm told that experts call this collaboration). Utilize the resources of the SAT Team, Counseling Office, Media Center and Main Office (I'm told that experts call this distributed leadership).
Through hard work, collaboration, trying new things and with a little TLC, we will most certainly take some "jalopy's" and rebuild them into "classics!!"
Thank you for your efforts this week. Enjoy the weather this weekend!
The Good Stuff!
New Staff Members
Susan Witte, Brent Willmer and Tom Kowalski
Susan will be working in the Media Center from 7:00am - 8:00am.
Brent is a cleaner and will be working 11:00am - 7:00pm.
Tom will be taking over for Sean O'Rourke in our PE Department.
I look forward to positive impact these awesome individuals will make with our students and staff!!
Thanks you for helping them have smooth transition to the Freshman Center!
Student Success Story
Below is a PERFECT example of why we continue to work with all students and support them through their negative life circumstances.
What a journey Maddie Tomasko (junior at RHS) has been on!! We didn't know if she would ever come to school again her Freshman year and now she is thriving just a couple years later.
Such a special story! Enjoy!
Tragedy to Triumph!
Schoology, OneDrive, HDMI...OH MY!!
Thank you for taking advantage of these numerous trainings which are listed below:
OneDrive and Office 365 training: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rps-onedriveoffice365-training-tickets-27607174803
Very good starter training! I went to one yesterday afternoon at it was worth it.
Sessions will start with the basics and then progress into topics of quizzes, grading, and other areas. I'm signed up to go on Monday.
A/V Equipment Videos: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2pSYegUQzSoZUsyUHBTRnd2SjA
These will help you navigate your upgraded A/V equipment in your classrooms.
If you haven't done so, please register for the half day DPPD dates that fit into your schedule. Final PD options will be available to choose from soon once total participants for that specific day is finalized.
September 19 - Parent Advisory Council - 9:00am in RFC LGI
September 21 - Wacky Wednesday - Neon/Tie Die Day
September 23 - Friday Breakfast - Math Department
September 26 - Lock Down Drill - 11:10am
September 27 - Late Start DPPD
September 28 - Wacky Wednesday - Athletic Jersey Day
September 30 - Friday Breakfast - Science Department
September 30 - Picture Re-Takes
September 30 - Homecoming Court Assembly - Adjusted Schedule
October 3-8 - Homecoming Spirit Week
October 5 - Tornado Drill - 7:41am
October 7 - Friday Breakfast - World Studies Department
October 8 - RFC Homecoming Dance
October 12 - Wacky Wednesday - Ugly Sweater Day
October 12 - Parent/Teacher Conferences - 3:30pm - 6:30pm
October 13 - Parent/Teacher Conferences - 5:00pm - 8:00pm
October 14 - Half Day (Potential DPPD)
October 19 - Wacky Wednesday - Woke Up Like This Day
October 21 - Shelter in Place Drill - 2:00pm
October 26 - Wack Wednesday - UofM vs. MSU Day
November 2 - Wacky Wednesday - Mustache Day
November 9 - Wacky Wednesday - Red vs. Blue Day
November 16 - Wacky Wednesday - Camo Day
Enjoy these! The answers are below...
1. Johnny's mother had three children.. The first child was named April.. The second child was named May....What was the third child's name?
2. There is a clerk at the butcher shop, he is five feet ten inches tall and he wears size 13 sneakers...What does he weigh?
3. Before Mt.. Everest was discovered... what was the highest mountain in the world?
4. How much dirt is there in a hole...that measures two feet by three feet by four feet?
5. What word in the English language...is always spelled incorrectly?
6. Billy was born on December 28th, yet his birthday is always in the summer. How is this possible?
7. In California , you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg. Why not?
8. What was the President's name.... in 1975?
9. If you were running a race...and you passed the person in 2nd place, what place would you be in now?
10. Which is correct to say,
"The yolk of the egg are white" or "The yolk of the egg is white"?
11. If a farmer has 5 haystacks in one field and 4 haystacks in the other field,
how many haystacks would he have if he combined them all in another field?
Here are the Answers
1. Johnny's mother had three children.. The first child was named April The second child was named May.. What was the third child's name?
Answer: Johnny, of course
2.There is a clerk at the butcher shop, he is five feet ten inches tall, and he wears size 13 sneakers.. What does he weigh?
3. Before Mt.. Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain in the world?
Answer: Mt. Everest; it just wasn't discovered yet.. [You're not very good at this are you?]
4. How much dirt is there in a hole that measures two feet by three feet by four feet?
Answer: There is no dirt in a hole.
5. What word in the English language is always spelled incorrectly?
6. Billy was born on December 28th, yet his birthday is always in the summer.. How is this possible?
Answer: Billy lives in the Southern Hemisphere
7. In California , you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg.. Why not?
Answer: You can 't take pictures with a wooden leg.. You need a camera to take pictures.
8. What was the President's name in 1975?
Answer: Same as is it now - Barack Obama [Oh, come on.....]
9. If you were running a race, and you passed the person in 2nd place, what place would you be in now?
Answer: You would be in 2nd.. Well, you passed the person in second place, not first.
10. Which is correct to say, "The yolk of the egg are white" or "The yolk of the egg is white"?
Answer: Neither, the yolk of the egg is yellow [duh!]
Answer: One.. If he combines all of his haystacks, they all become one big one.
11. If a farmer has 5 haystacks in one field and 4 haystacks in the other field, how many haystacks would he have if he combined them all in another field?