The Hawks Nest News!
Huntington Middle School September 2022
Calendar of Events
9 - Grits with Gramps
13 - Lunch and Learn: How to Help Your Child Be Successful and Organized in School
23 - Parent Action Team Meeting
How to Help Your Child Be Organized
* Label books, notebooks, file folders but less is more.
* Get in the habit of making lists
* Use agenda book, monthly calendar
* Create a schedule at home to organize notebooks and backpacks
* Have a study place at home
* Use time management
* Ask your teachers for help if needed
* Keep lockers organized and clean
How to Support Student Learning at Home
10 Tips for Parents
As a parent, you can do your part at home to reinforce this important family-school partnership. To help prepare your children for school readiness to stay on track and expand their learning opportunities:
- Set up a daily family routine, including healthy eating and sleeping habits
- Provide a place and time at home for homework
- Check on assignments, homework and projects
- Talk each day with your child about his/her activities
- Promote literacy by reading to your child and by reading yourself
- Limit and monitor TV watching, gaming, social media and computer time
- Express high expectations and standards for your child’s learning
- Attend parent-teacher conferences, Open House and Back-To-School events
- Participate in decisions that affect your child’s education
- Tap into community resources with visits to a library, museum, zoo or theater and encourage participation in after-school clubs, sports and art activities.
Engaged parents are a key factor in helping students and schools succeed. With families, schools and communities working together as partners, student achievement is enhanced and children are better prepared to do well in school.
Free Books for the Love of Reading!
Behavior expectations: Huntington Hawks will SOAR:
We will Show Respect, Observe and Follow Procedures, Act Responsibly and Be Safe, and Rise above Expectations
Behavior matrix: a matrix with settings, events, or classroom routines along the top with the behavioral expectations in the left column. Each matrix junction (Box) contains the behavior indicators, or what the behavior expectation looks like in that particular setting or event.
Behavior indicators: what the behavioral expectations look like in a particular school-wide setting, event, or classroom routine.
Procedures: specific ways for students to complete tasks. An example of this is how to behave responsibly during transitions: 1. Clean up your area, 2. Stand and push in your chair, 3. Eyes are on me.
SOAR Pledge: I will SOAR as a HAWK by showing Respect and Being Safe, Observing Procedures, Acting Responsibly, and Rising Above Expectations. I will make better decisions today to be a better me tomorrow. I will not waste my day!
2022 Football Schedule
Date Day Home Visitor Location
8/12 Fri MCM HMS MCMS
8/18 Th HMS BMS MAC
8/25 Th HMS FMMS MAC
8/31 Wed PMS HMS PHS
9/8 Th HMS NSM MAC
9/14 Wed TMS HMS NMS
9/21 Wed WRMS HMS NMS
9/28 or 9/29 W/Th Playoff Rnd 1 TBA
10/5 or 10/6 W/Th Playoff Rnd 2 TBA
10/20 Th County Championship TBA
7th Grade Games Begin @ 3:45pm, 8th Grade Games Follow Immediately
Admission: $7 Regular Season $10 Playoff & Championship Games
7th Grade: Blake Edwards (HC), Tavan Harvey, Rashee Ragin, Wesley Hancock
8th Grade: Otis Covington (HC), Juanson Pitt, Lawrence Middleton, Desmond King
2022 Softball Schedule
Date Day Home Away Location
8/12 F HMS FMMS HMS
8/16 Tu MCMS HMS MCMS
8/19 F HMS BMS HMS
8/23 Tu PMS HMS PMS
8/26 F HMS NMS HMS
8/30 Tu TMS HMS TMS
9/9 F WRMS HMS WRMS
9/13 Tu NMS HMS NMS
9/16 F HMS TMS HMS
9/20 Tu HMS WRMS HMS
Playoffs 1st Round 7th 9/22 1st Round 8th 9/23
Semi's 1st Round 7th 9/26 1st Round 8th 9/23
Championship 7th 10/3 8th 10/4
Graham Dykes and Quebec Jacobs