Husky Happenings Newsletter
WELCOME TO THE 2023-2024 SCHOOL YEAR
MESSAGE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
It is my pleasure to welcome you to the 2023-2024 school year. We are excited for another incredible and productive school year and ready to “Dive Deep Into Learning”! Our devoted staff is planning and preparing for instruction, activities, and special events. Our office team is registering new families, ordering needed materials, and updating student files. And our hard working custodians have spent the entire summer cleaning and preparing the building for students to return. Each year brings positive change. This includes our new Metzler students and faculty and staff and new roles.
Our administrative team is honored to serve Metzler Elementary School. It is a privilege to work with a community where parents, teachers and students care for each other and strive to build positive relationships that engage in relevant and rigorous education while supporting the academic and social growth for each student.
Below are some tips to help you navigate the first weeks of school. Please be on the look-out for our campus newsletter that comes out the first Wednesday of every month. We look forward to working with you and your family as we partner to make this year even more successful. I hope that you are as excited as we are to "Dive Deep Into Learning"! Enjoy the rest of your vacation and we look forward to seeing you at Meet the Teacher. Go HUSKIES!
Take care and be well,
Danis Boone, Principal
Mrs. Trevino is going to be leading our Special Education Team as our campus ALT. We are excited to have her in this new role as she continues to have a positive impact on student growth and achievement.
Meet Our New Assistant Principal, Ms. Jada Dyson
We are excited to welcome our new faculty and staff!
Dejuanica Henry- 3rd
Jessica Tokarski- 4th
Jose Buenrostro -5th
Diana Gomez- ACCESS
Marchelle Roberson- Behavior Associate
Natalie Alcocer- Secretary
Tommie Alexander- PE Aide
Sara Laguna- EC Aide
Ashley Selman- EC Aide
Courtney Ramirez- Workroom Aide
Grace Monago- Teacher Fellow
New Student Registration
Returning Students Annual Student Update- Required By August 4th to be Assigned a Teacher prior to Meet The Teacher
Hello, Klein ISD Family!
We’re so excited about starting the 2023-2024 school year with all of our students! Please complete our required annual student information update to ensure your child is ready for this school year. A completed student information update is needed so that students can receive class schedules and assigned teachers for the first day of school.
This important process must be completed for all students by Friday, August 4. Please log into Skyward Family Access to complete the student information update. Instructions may be found on kleinisd.net/update. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance logging into your account.
As you complete the update, you will see your address listed as Klein, Texas. We are excited that all businesses and homes living within Klein ISD boundaries can use Klein, Texas, as their address. Klein, Texas, is a special place rooted in community pride and rich in history. With outstanding schools offering innovative and excellent learning experiences and thriving businesses, generations of families happily call Klein their home. Together we can define our amazing Klein community and forever keep Klein, Texas, on the map!
During the update, you will also be asked to complete our annual feedback survey so we can continue to provide excellent service to our school community.
Meet The Teacher Is August 7th
Meet The Teacher
Parents you will receive an email from your child(ren)'s teacher(s) on Friday, August 4th at 4:00 pm. Please be sure you have completed the annual student update before this time as your child(ren) can not be assigned a teacher until the update has been completed.
Our Nurse, Ms. Dawson, will be in the nurse's office during Meet the Teacher. This would be a great time to drop off medication, shot records, update paperwork, etc.
Things to do: Enter through the front doors
- Meet you child's teacher
- Drop off school supplies (if you pre ordered a school supply pack it will be delivered to your child's classroom)
- Find your bus route
- Pick up a carpool tag
- Order a School Spirit Shirt (Fridays are spirit shirt day)
- Visit with our PTO
Many of you were able to purchase your child's(ren) school supplies during our pre-sale, if you did not, here are a few other options:
-You can still purchase supplies through EPI, although you may have to pay shipping costs. Visit EPI at www.educationalproducts.com/ShopPacks and use code MET053 (three letters, three numbers). Please note your order may not be received prior to the first day of school.
-You can also purchase supplies on your own. Our supply lists can be found on our Metzler website under Family Resources (Metzler.kleinisd.net). It is also attached below.
Our school hours are 8:10-3:25. Instruction begins promptly at 8:10 am. Students not in class at 8:10 am will be marked tardy. To ensure a smooth start to your child's day, please ensure your child is at school prior to 8:10 am. Students may start arriving to school at 7:40 am. Please do
not drop your child off prior to 7:40 am, as staff members will not be on duty to supervise them. Breakfast will be available in the cafeteria starting at 7:40 am.
If you need to drop your child off prior to 7:40 am, Campus Kids Before and After School Program is available at Metzler. For information about this program please contact Campus Kids.
Campus Kids Enrollment:
Contact Campus Kids at 281-468-8013 or 281-222-4186
Visit the Campus Kids website at www.campuskidsllc.com
First Day Of School
Arrival and Dismissal
Carpool Drop off is on the south side of the building facing West Rayford Road
- Students may start entering the building at 7:40
- Families can access either of the two morning drop off lanes. We recommend that families of Pre-K and Kinder use the lane closest to the building.
- Please make sure car riders have their backpacks and exit vehicles expeditiously, on the passenger side.
- Vehicles should pull all the way up to the end of the sidewalk along the carpool porch
- Students may not be dropped off in the parking lot.
- The shortest wait times are between 7:40-7:50. You will experience longer wait times after 7:50.
- We ask that all adults stay in their car while dropping students off, when parents/guardians get out of their cars it delays drop off and can cause a back up and delay students from getting to class on time. If your child needs assistance, roll down you window and a staff member will assist.
- Please place a tag on your child's backpack that includes their first and last names and the name of their teacher.
- There will be staff members stationed in the hallways to assist them in finding their classrooms.
Carpool Pickup is on the south side of the building facing West Rayford Road
As you know traffic can be congested the first week of school especially during afternoon car dismissal. Please be patient as students learn the routine. You can help by ensuring your child knows his/her carpool number on the first day of school.
During dismissal, classrooms will be notified of car rider numbers as cars arrive and students will be dismissed to the carpool area in waves.
- We ask that all drivers follow the designated car rider route and be attentive by refraining from talking and/or texting in the school zone. The safety of our children, faculty, and staff is our upmost priority.
- Dismissal begins at 3:25
- We ask that all drivers follow the designated car rider route
- To pick up students in the car rider area, you will need a carpool tag in your windshield. Families with students in multiple grade levels will be issued a car number based on the grade of the youngest child.
- Each family must have their own carpool tag - You will need a carpool tag for your child(ren) and the carpool tag of the child(ren) that is riding with you
- Carpool tags will be issued during Meet the Teacher.
- The lane closest to the school will be reserved for Pre-K and Kinder students. The other lanes will be reserved for families of students in 1st-5th grades.
- All cars in the immediate pick-up area must be loaded before cars are allowed to move forward.
- If your child is not in the vehicle when the line moves, you will need to loop around and get back into the line.
- We ask that all adults stay in their car while picking students up, when parents/guardians get out of their cars it delays pick up and can cause a back up and delay dismissal.
- Please remove your carpool tag from your windshield once your child(ren) is in the vehicle. This will help us determine when the line can move forward to exit the pick-up area.
- Parking at other locations and walking up to the porch and crossing through the carpool lanes or in front of school buses is not safe and will not be permitted.
Please click on the attachment below to view carpool procedures and a map of the carpool route.
Carpool Procedures/Carpool Route
Locate Your Child’s Bus Route
- Complete the search form with your street address (house number and street name are both required).
- Specify a campus or grade level (without grade level you will see results for all three campus levels).
- Your child should be at their bus stop 10 minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time.
- Although every effort is made to keep the system current, some bus numbers may change.
- Students will be given wristbands and bus tags the first day of school. Please make sure that your child has the colored wristband attached to his/her backpack each day during the first week of school.
- The bus lane is on the east side of the building facing Hofius and cars are not permitted to enter this lane/lot during arrival an dismissal times. Only students riding buses are permitted to enter or leave in this area.
It is the policy of the Klein Independent School District that no pre-kindergarten student will be dropped off at the residence in the afternoon home trip unless there is a responsible caretaker there to receive the student. If a responsible caretaker is not available, your child will be returned to his/her campus and you will be notified by the school to pick your child up at that location.
We do not require, but encourage parents with children in grades kindergarten - 2nd to be at the bus stop or have a responsible adult meet the bus in the afternoon. This assures the bus driver that your child is in safe hands. If no one is available for this purpose, please notify the bus driver that your child can be dropped off unattended.
Lunch Visitor Schedule
While we know students enjoy having parents join them for lunch, we respectfully request that parents not visit the school to have lunch with their child for the first two weeks of school, as we are establishing school-wide routines during this time. We look forward to you visiting for lunch on or after August 28th. Due to limited space each grade level will have a designated day for lunch visitors. In efforts to respect the privacy of our students, please refrain from taking videos or pictures while students are having lunch.
1st Grade- Monday
2nd Grade- Tuesday
3rd Grade- Wednesday
4th Grade- Thursday
5th Grade- Thursday
**There will be exceptions for student birthdays
Welcome, parents and community members! The Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) is a fantastic way to get involved in your child's school and make a positive impact.
The PTO is a group of parents, teachers, and administrators who work together to create a positive and supportive school community. PTO provides valuable support to teachers and staff and organize fun and educational events for students. Our goal is to improve the learning environment for all students and foster a sense of community among families and staff.
Research shows that students perform better academically and have higher rates of school attendance when their parents are involved in their education and school activities. By volunteering with the PTO, you are taking an active role in your child's education and helping to create a supportive and enriching learning environment.
Joining the PTO is an excellent way to get involved in your child's education, build relationships with other families, and make a positive impact in your community.
There are volunteer opportunities available for parents with any level of availability and skillset. Whether you're interested in helping with school events, fundraising, or classroom support, we have a need for your talents and time.
How To Sign Up To Volunteer
We are excited you want to become a volunteer!
Ensuring the safety of our students is our top priority. Having our volunteers complete a background check is one of many ways that we assure safety and security in our schools. All volunteers must submit a new application each school year. Once you are approved, our Volunteer Coordinator will email you with volunteer opportunities!
Click the link below to complete your Klein ISD Volunteer Application
VAA (Verification of Address Affidavit)
Metzler Effective Learner Traits
Metzler Elementary provides an atmosphere where teachers are facilitators, providing learning intentions and success criteria that allow students to set goals and take ownership of their learning.
We are committed to evaluating our impact, creating a sustainable solution for professional learning, and improving the learning of our students as evidenced in our earning a Visible Learning+ School award from Corwin.
Our Effective Learner Traits below set the foundation for the work we do every day and are embedded in our everyday interactions.
- I set Goals
- I am Curious
- I Self-Reflect
- I Embrace Challenges
- I am Persistent
- I Collaborate