Lighthouse School Newsletter
See translation information below / Consulte la información de traducción a continuación.
SEPTEMBER 21, 2022 - NEWSLETTER
Dear Lighthouse families,
Tomorrow is the first day of fall and students are settled in with routines of school. Watching our students work together as a learning community is always a highlight. I enjoy connecting with our students about their learning, hearing about the weekend soccer game, updates on Vikings football, and being quizzed on math puzzles.
Reminders and Updates:
- Lighthouse PTO Meeting: We will be having our first Lighthouse PTO meeting for the year on Thursday, September 22 at 6:30 p.m. at Lighthouse School. It is a wonderful opportunity to meet families, support Lighthouse students and be an active member of our community.
- Extended Learning Day: Our first Extended Learning Day will be on Friday, September 30. These days are designed for students to do work related to their inquiry project which cannot easily be done in the classroom such as library research, talking with an expert, conducting experiments, or a field trip. Students that are taking courses at Spring Lake Park High School should still check in at the Lighthouse prior to their class. To be dismissed at the end of the school day, students will need a written note from their guardian or a guardian to pick them up.
- Theater opportunity: Is your child interested in theater? Check out this link to find out when auditions for the middle school plays will take place.
- MCA results from spring: This week, students who took one of the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments (MCAs) last spring will receive their results at home. You are getting results now in the fall for assessments that took place last spring. Results are sent to us from the Minnesota Department of Education in late August. If you have questions, please reach out.
- Homecoming: Next week, September 26-30, we will be celebrating homecoming with a spirit week! We will be showing our Panther Pride that week with fun dress up days and the Panther Pride Sweepstakes.
- Monday - pajama day
- Tuesday – sports day – represent your favorite team or sport
- Wednesday - 80s day
- Thursday – Panther Spirit day
- Friday – Extended Learning day
In October, families will be invited to learn more about the learning taking place at Lighthouse. We will communicate more details about this gathering in the coming weeks.
Have a great week!
Update immunizations by November 1
Minnesota School Immunization Laws currently require all students enrolled in school to be immunized against diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis (DTap/Td/Tdap), polio, measles, mumps, rubella (MMR), Hepatitis B, and varicella (chickenpox). One dose of the meningococcal (MCV) vaccine is due in 7th grade, and a booster dose at age 16.
The only exceptions are:
1. A student has had the chickenpox virus
2. Medical exemption with paperwork from your provider
3. Conscientious exemption with notarized exemption form
Students whose immunizations are not up to date by Tuesday, November 1 will be excluded from school until their immunizations are current.
If you have questions about whether or not your child is due for immunizations, please contact their healthcare provider. If you are interested in access to low-income options for vaccines, please reach out to Anoka County Public Health at 763-324-4240.
Ready, Set, FAFSA - Upcoming Virtual Financial Aid Events
Free college and financial aid events are available to Minnesota students and families via Zoom! The series, running Tuesday evenings September 27 through October 25, will cover general college and financial aid information, details on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the Minnesota Dream Act for undocumented students, and other ways to pay for college. Learn more and register.
¿Habla usted español?
¡Está invitad@ al grupo de padres y personal hispanohablantes de SLP! Somos de todas las escuelas de SLP y el propósito del grupo es formar comunidad y apoyo durante el año escolar. Entre todos, resolvemos dudas, intercambiamos ideas y nos lo pasamos bien.
Nos juntamos cada primer y tercer lunes del mes en la sala de Piña en la escuela Woodcrest Spanish Immersion, dirección 880 Osborne Road NE, Fridley, MN 55432. Las reuniones empiezan a las 5:00 p.m. con una cena para toda la familia y la junta va de 5:30-6:30 p.m. Ofrecemos cuido de niños.
Por favor, mande un texto a 612-486-2208 para confirmar su asistencia (nombre, número de personas y edades de los niños).
Fechas de las próximas cuatro reuniones:
- 3 de octubre
- 17 de octubre
- 7 de noviembre
- 21 de noviembre
Escanea este código con la cámera de su celular o visite la página https://www.springlakeparkschools.org/parents/parent-groups a menudo para ver actualizaciones sobre el grupo y las juntas. ¡Los esperamos!
Award winning, again
For the 16th year running, Spring Lake Park Schools has received the Association of School Business Officials (ASBO) International’s Certificate of Excellence in Financial Reporting award. Less than 10 percent of districts in Minnesota receive this award, which was announced and presented at the September 13 school board meeting.
“We don’t take this recognition for granted. It is meaningful each year because it acknowledges our district’s commitment to solid financial stewardship,” says Superintendent Jeff Ronneberg. “I hope it instills pride and confidence in how we manage our financial resources at a time when school districts are under significant financial strain.”
Read the full story.
Lighthouse School students have been enjoying disc golf during Phy-Ed.
The Back a Bus fundraiser has begun!
Good luck to students in their Back a Bus fundraising efforts! Envelopes are due back next Thursday (September 29) - which is also the day of the celebration! Parents are welcome at 1:30 p.m. for prizes/games and 2:30 p.m. treats on the front lawn. Thank you in advance for your support!
PTO Meeting September 22
Our first PTO meeting is tomorrow, September 22, 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Lighthouse. All parents welcome - come find out more about what's going on at Lighthouse!
Panther Pride Sweepstakes is back, starting September 26
Win $500 for your school and $50 Panther Store gift card for you! Starting Monday, September 26, visit the sweepstakes page to enter the daily Panther Pride Sweepstakes. Show your Panther Pride and Spirit by answering a trivia question daily, September 26 – September 29. Families can enter one time each day and can include all students in the family. A student winner and a staff winner for each school will be drawn on Thursday, September 29 and winners will be acknowledged at the Spring Lake Park High School Homecoming game on Friday, September 30. Good luck!
Space still available for fun, fall programming
There is still time to enroll in engaging fall activities for your student! Register today - the deadline for some youth programming is September 28.
Youth program highlights of the week:
- Kidcreate Studio - Game On! (grades K-4)
- NSCA - Manjuro: Watercolor and Literary Discussion (grades K-4)
- STEM Builders - LEGO Robotics - Toy Land (grades 1-4)
- September 22 - PTO Meeting, 6:30 p.m.
- September 26-30 - Homecoming Week
- September 30 - Extended Learning Day
- September 30 - Homecoming Football Game, Panther Stadium, 7 p.m.
Translate This Message / Traducir Este Mensaje
To translate this information to another language, please click anywhere on the message to open it in a web browser and at the top of the page, select your language from the dropdown menu.
Para traducir la información a otro idioma, por favor presionen en cualquier lugar del mensaje para abrirlo en un navegador web y en la parte superior de la página seleccione su idioma del menú.