The Panther Post
January 23, 2023 Volume 39
- Welcome to week 22 everyone!
- Please follow us on Twitter - @DMSPanthers1
- See "upcoming events" on our DMS calendar below DMS news and DMS Quicklinks.
- Please see the PTA link in the newsletter for more info on how to join!
- Week of Jan 23 - Jan 27…DECAB schedule with Advisory on Tuesday: Perseverance is the topic!
- PLEASE encourage your students to get to school by 8:15 am and follow each class transition on time (5 minutes between classes) or receive AM or PM detention.
- Please remember that students are allowed 5 parent notes per semester (5 - fall; 5 - spring).
- January is School Board Appreciation month!! DMS "Thanks!" our MCS School Board for a job well done!!
- Congrats to the DMS Scholar's Bowl team for qualifying for state during districts over the weekend.
- Congrats to our Junior High / BJ 7-9th wrestlers in winning the North Alabama Championship in back to back years!
- DMS Panther Racing out performed the competition at The Oxford Green Prix. Car 305 placed 2nd and car 304 placed 3rd in the race this past Friday. Congratulations DMS Greenpower Teams!
January Lunch Menu
Technology Student Association
Parents and Students,
Beginning in January, we will be starting a club at Discovery called TSA (Technology Student Association) where we will be competing against Liberty in February in various events. We need as many participants as we can get. Students should look over the attached TSA flyer to learn more about the club and further details. If interested, please fill out the application attached!
Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns! Thank you!!!
Washington D.C. Trip
All payments are made through www.academicexpeditions.com.
We have 12 spots available if anyone would like to join the trip. Travel dates are April 28-30. The trip information slideshow can be found on the DMS website (teacher Sara Baragona).This slideshow has the link and trip code that will be needed to join.
We will have a parent/student meeting towards the end of February or early March to gather room requests and answer questions. I hope to have an updated itinerary at that meeting.
Everyone is welcome! 7:30-8:05 in the Media Center! See Mrs. Cooper if you have any questions!
2023 MBL-Madison Basketball League
Girls and Boys Basketball League Sign-Ups- Current 4th, 5th, and 6th grade boy or girl Madison Basketball League 5 weeks of Basketball instruction. We will be working alongside Liberty Middle School basketball coaches and players utilizing practice instructional times and playdates. March 20, 2023 through April 24, 2023. Information & Sign-ups:
Questions; email Coach Burks- firstname.lastname@example.org
Discovery Middle School has partnered with S2 Pass, a new innovative digital ticketing provider. In order to attend sporting events at Discovery Middle School, you must purchase your ticket from the S2 Pass app. While our ticketing system has become electronic, our concessions will remain cash only until we can make that transition.
You will need to download the S2 Pass from the App Store or Google Play (links below). Once you have downloaded the app, you may purchase your ticket(s), and it will be scanned upon entry from your smartphone. An instructional video is below. Please be sure to purchase your ticket(s) prior to arrival. Please share this information with other students and fans!
If you don't have a smartphone, you can also purchase your tickets from the S2 Pass fan website (for computers only) and print out your tickets to present at the game through this link here.
• App download links
- Google App Store - Google Play Store - Android
- Apple Store - App Store - iPhone
• Instructional Videos
- Please ensure that your students adhere to the dress code. All clothing must meet appropriate guidelines as noted in the DMS Student Handbook and MCS Code of Conduct. Also, students may bring a jacket or sweater if they are cold; however, blankets and stuffed animals are not allowed as a cover at school.
- Attendance is very important. Please be sure to send absence notes to email@example.com whenever your student is absent from school.
- Students should arrive to class on time and be in their seats when the tardy bell rings.
- For morning drop off and afternoon dismissal, parking in the front northeast lot or in the loop at the front office will soon require a clearly marked parking pass. Those without this pass are asked to use the car line. Thanks to everyone for using the car line unless you have an "approved reason" from the DMS administration. Approved reasons are for SRO, medical/emergency, special needs, late arrival, etc. We are working for the safety of all of our students and staff at DMS. Thank you for your continued support!
Lost and Found
- Please encourage your students to check the DMS Lost & Found near the front office if they have misplaced any items.
- The Lost and Found will be cleared out on the first day of each month and unclaimed items will be donated to a worthy cause.
The current working date is 3/31 in the evening, so it's best if you are available that afternoon/evening.