Happenings @ the Hill
Volume 2 Issue 26 (Week of February 10-14)
February 17th is our scheduled make-up day.
Hello Fort Mill Parents and Staff,
The district will use Monday, February 17 to make-up for the time missed due to weather conditions on Friday, February 7. All schools and district offices will operate on a normal school schedule on Monday, February 17. Thank you for your patience as we worked through the impacts of the severe weather last week.
The Fort Mill School District
Friday is Valentine's Day!
Thank you for waiting to celebrate Valentine's Day at home with your Bulldogs!
New Yearbook Order Deadline is February 28th!
Be sure to order your yearbook in time!
February is Love the Bus Month and this week is Bus Driver Appreciation Week!
WEB day is Wednesday (6th Graders and Our 8th Grade WEB leaders only.) Remember to wear your WEB shirts!
Congratulations to our Teacher of the Year and our Support Staff Member of the Year!
Mrs. Angie Harms with our previous Teacher of the Year, Ms. Megan McNinch
| || |
Mrs. Jill Tooper with our previous Support Staff Member of the Year, Nurse Hyde
GHMS will host a Rising Yellow Jacket Night this Thursday, February 13th, starting at 6pm in our gym.
Congratulations to our Battle of the Books team. These Bulldogs had to read at least 6 of 10 SC Junior Award Nominee books to participate in this competition. Thank you Mrs. Michael for organizing our participation in this event. Great work Bulldogs!
Thank you to everyone that has donated funds to the GHMS PTA so far. Look what we’ve been able to accomplish this year!
Fall Semester Purchases
Brain Pop $1,895 (online program for all grade levels), ELA - Study Island $5,000 (for all grade levels), Band- Short Stand Cart $345, Gateway to Technology Supplies $60, Computers - Edison $370, Angel Tree Stockings $175, Polar Plunge/Special Olympics Donation $200
Spring Semester Needs – Already Approved
Science (6th grade) - grow lamp, $140 Science (7th grade) – frogs to dissect $2,500, Science (8th grade) – eyeballs to dissect $400, Theater Arts - backdrop rental $450, Family and Consumer Science Supplies $50, IXL (Math online program for all grade levels) $5,200
BUT…there is still so much more left to do this year, so…
BRACE YOURSELVES FOR ANOTHER FUNDRAISER!
- We are $6,000 shy of our fundraising goal for this year. Unfortunately, as a result, we are having to take a step back in funding any additional wish list items at GHMS.
- It's not too late! If you have not already made your one-time donation, please consider donating so that we can all avoid another fundraiser in the spring.
- Remember - 100% of the funds raised through our one-time donation campaign go directly to the GHMS PTA. Also, other family members, friends, neighbors, and businesses can support our school with a contributing or matching donation.
- What do you need to do? Donate online or send in a check in with your student - it's that easy! No gimmicks, nothing to sell and nothing else for you to keep track of.
- Flyers will be coming home this week with more details or you can also donate online http://www.ghmspta.org. Once on the website, click on the Online Forms tab and use the One-Time Donation form to make your donation. Any amount is greatly appreciated!
UPCOMING SPIRIT EVENTS
- Cherry Blow Dry Bar - February 17-23 (see image below)
- Greek Grill - 2/18, 5-8 pm, will send a flyer out soon!
GHMS raised over $3600 for the Polar Plunge for Special Olympics. We may have come in 2nd place as a school, but we are all winners for donating to such a worthy cause!
This one of Mr. Eppes was too good not to include here! And, yes... the water was COLD!
Good luck to our spelling bee contestants as they head to the district Spelling Bee Thursday! Will we bring home the champion again this year?
Please see the attachment regarding the flu.
Student Council is hosting an after school dance on Friday, February 28th in our gym. More information to come regarding ticket sales and concessions.
Other 8th Grade News
We will reschedule our Job Shadowing day for our 8th Graders. Stay tuned.
- March 7th - Cookin' for the Kids Chili Cook Off @ NaFO - 9am-1pm $10 admission
- March 11th - 15th - 8th Band/Honors Chorus Florida Performance Trip
- April 6th - 13th - Spring Break
- April 21st - STEAM/Literacy Night with Charity Basketball game: Bulldogs v. TCPD
- April 23rd-25th - "Thoroughly Modern Millie" Performances at FMHS
- April 29th - Spring HOUSE Games (Wear HOUSE shirt!)
- April 30th - YEARBOOK ORDER DEADLINE
- May 1st - 8th Grade Dance (7pm-10pm)
- May 7th - Spring Band Concerts
- May 8th - SC Ready and PASS Testing Window Opens & Rising 6th grade students visit GHMS during school day.
- May 15th - Our 8th graders go to FMHS for tour.
- May 26th - 30th - 0ptional 8th Grade D.C. Experience
Links to Fun Friday Jokes & Weekly Quotes
https://forms.gle/UxP8N7JeNzPF7ZJs5 Fun Friday Joke Link
https://forms.gle/UMezZXdxH9dmSMX67 Quotes Link
Need Athletics Information?
Jackson Orthodontics - LEADER OF THE PACK SPONSOR!
The Hill - We are Family
At GHMS, we pride ourselves on taking a family/collaborative approach to educating our students. Our teaching teams plan together to meet the needs of the students because we believe “they are ALL our students.” We work collaboratively with our Support Staff, Related Arts teachers, Special Services providers and parents to ensure the academic, social, and emotional needs of our students are being met. However, as with all families, we know that sometimes everyone may not see eye to eye. Should you ever have concerns regarding your student, I strongly encourage you to contact the teacher to discuss. Please do not go to your neighbors, friends, or social media to air your grievances or address something that the teacher or staff member has not had an opportunity to discuss directly with you. We teach our students that everyone has a voice and that everyone deserves to be treated with respect, even if you disagree with them. It is the Bulldog Way! This is the same behavior we expect from our parents when dealing with a concern. As principal, my blanket statement is and will always be, the doors of GHMS are open and we want to hear from you. Don’t hesitate to communicate with us. We are a family. We are a team. And, the only way we will be successful and the students will receive the education they deserve is if we work together.
Gold Hill Middle School will be a school where all students learn as a result of our teaching talent and the positive human connection that leaves us feeling safe, loved, valued, heard, and respected. #BulldogsLEAD
· Love to learn
· Engage our minds and hearts
· Achieve our goals together
· Do what we say we are
Let’s all be #differencemakers this year!