ISTEP+ Math Grades 6-8
Addressing the Need to Raise Scores
Across the state we continue to see low ISTEP Math scores in grades 6-8. You and your school may have tried a variety of strategies, curriculum maps or instructional realignments to address these low scores. In this session, we will discuss why traditional test preparation doesn't work for next generation assessments such as ISTEP. We will address the solution to ‘why do students forget content once they get to ISTEP?’. We will talk about how depth of knowledge and surface, deep and transfer learning take place and how we accomplish transfer learning. You will walk away with research-based strategies that engage students in deep learning so they have a conceptual understanding of mathematics.
- Examine the strategies for surface, deep & transfer learning.
- Engage in planning & developing lessons with depth of knowledge in mind.
- Examine the research behind how we get students to retain and understand the math.
- Engage in planning and implementing mathematical discourse in the classroom to reach deep learning.
Please plan on joining us on November 27, 2017 for a session designed specifically for grades 6 through 8 math teachers and instructional coaches. See below for more information!
Laurie Ferry, CIESC Director of Professional Learning
- Former Math Teacher, MS & HS Principal.
- Prior to CIESC served as a K-12/STEM Specialist for IDOE.
- Served on national & state level instructional standards and next generation assessment organizations.
- Presented at state, national and international conferences.
- 27+ years of educational experience and provided PD to over 20,000 educators.
Monday, Nov. 27th, 9am-3pm
Southern Indiana Education Center 1102 Tree Lane Drive, Jasper (47546)
*A Professional Growth Certificate worth 6 points will be provided.
*Workshop fee is $120 per participant for ESC members. ($170 non-members)
*Participants should bring a laptop to access online resources.
*See below to complete the embedded registration form.