Road to becoming a psychiatrist
What is becoming a psychiatrist and what do you need to do to qualify
Psychiatrist is a career to pursue the ability to be able to help others with mental instabilities. They prescribe certain types of treatments for people, such as counseling individual or in group counseling. They are also able to write them off to take medicine to control their instability. To become a psychiatrist in your pursuit of an well formed education and training: a bachelors degree is required, medical school, an average of eight years in undergraduate study, and four years of residency. Attempting for this job will not come with ease, but will need a lot of dedication and hard work. With the right kind of attitude and desire to help others this career will pay off in the future
Although the requirement is a bachelors degree to increase your chance on obtaining this career choice is to received your masters degree.
An average salary for a psychiatrist is $167,610.00 per year, but the salary varies on the psychiatrist's specialty in their field of work.
Questions you may be asked in the interview to be hired for this career
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why are you interested in working for this company?
- Tell me about your education.
- Why have you chosen this particular field?
- Describe your best/worst boss.
- In a job, what interests you most/least?
- What is your major weakness?
- Give an example of how you solved a problem in the past.
- What are your strengths?
- How do others describe you?
- What do you consider the most important idea you contributed or your most noteworthy accomplishment in your last job?
- Where do you see yourself in three years?
- Think about something you consider a failure in your life, and tell me why you think it happened.
- How do you think you will fit into this operation?
- If you were hired, what ideas/talents could you contribute to the position or our company?
- Give an example where you showed leadership and initiative.
- Give an example of when you were able to contribute to a team project.
- What have you done to develop or change in the last few years?
- Do you have any questions for me?
Skills needed for this career
- Listen to others
- Be able to comprehend reading
- Ability to negotiate
- Able to solve complex problems
- Able to write very well
- And etc.
Classes to take in college towards becoming a psychiatrist (a few choices)
- Basically keep your mind focused on getting a degree in a science related subject even though most colleges say to keep a well rounded education. Depending on what you choose to specialize in will determine which part you take during your education road.
You mainly focus on what you want your speciality to be such as, if you want to work with elderly, adults, children, or even teenagers.
Steps to becoming a psychiatrist
- Graduate high school
- Complete four years undergraduate
- Complete four years of medical school
- 1 year of rotating internship
- 4-6 years of residency
- Apply for job(s)