Tarver Character Ed Weekly Update
Character Trait Focus: Kindness
Monday, January 10th
k-2. Show the video, Color Your World with Kindness, and then ask any or all of these questions with your class:
What did Kindness look like in the video?
What was your favorite act of Kindness?
How did you see the definition of Kindness come to life in the video?
How does Kindness spread with these characters?
How can it spread in our class? Our school?
3-5: Display the quote by Maya Angelou. Discuss the following questions:
Maya Angelou was a writer, poet, and activist. She overcame many hardships in her life and in her writing and teachings, she frequently reminded us of the importance of Kindness and caring when making it through difficult times.
How would you describe a rainbow? How can you be like a rainbow with your actions?
What might it feel like to feel “cloudy?” How can you show Kindness when someone is feeling sad?
Tuesday, January 11th
Draw a bucket on the board or on chart paper. Have students share how they can be a bucket filler in class today. Write their responses on the bucket. Reference the poster throughout the month or longer.
3-5: Show the animated short, Mr. Indifferent. Have a class discussion around the following questions:
- What do you notice about the man at the beginning of the video? What does it mean to be “indifferent?” How is that different from being “mean?” How can it be unkind?
- What changes the man? Why is that important?
- The man discovers he has the ability to help. What happens next? What does this tell us about Kindness?
- How does the video bring the definition of Kindness to life?
- What does the man do at the end? What does it teach us about how Kindness can spread?