By: Larissa Unseth
Warning Signs of Suicide
• Insomnia or excessive sleeping
• Poor concentration
• Anorexia or excessive eating
• Apathy in young, hyperactivity is also a possible symptom of depression
• Poor personal hygiene
• Isolation - either real or perceived
• Feeling of worthlessness - which can exist in those who appear to "have it made"
• Preoccupation with death - can be expressed in poems, drawings, or school themes
2. Verbal Clues
• "I wish I were dead
• "If (such and such) happens, I'll kill myself"
• "I'm going to kill myself"
• "Nobody needs me"
• "My family would be better off without me"
• "I just can't go on any longer"
• A previous suicide attempt
• A suicide not - which is left in advance by 30%
• A poor adjustment to a recent loss
• Drug and alcohol abuse
• Unexplained crying
• Running away
• Aggressive behavior
• Giving away possessions
The World Health Organization estimates that approximately 1 million people die each year from suicide. It's difficult to understand what drives so many individuals to take their own lives. But a suicidal person is in so much pain that he or she can see no other option.
Suicide is a desperate attempt to escape suffering that has become unbearable. Blinded by feelings,hopelessness, and isolation, a suicidal person can't see any way of finding relief except through death. But despite their desire for the pain to stop, most suicidal people are deeply conflicted about ending their own lives. They wish there was an alternative to committing suicide, but they just can't see one.