Plumbrook Parent Welcome Back Update
August 13, 2021
And So it Begins.
First week of School at a Glance
K-6 Half Day (Times TBD)
Wednesday and Thursday, September 1 & 2
K-6 Full Days of School 8:40 AM-3:30 PM
Friday, September 3-No School
Monday, September 6-No School
Welcome Back Newsletter
Dear Plumbrook Families:
Many of you are asking when you will know who your child's teacher is. We will be emailing that information on Thursday, August 26, 2021, after 3:00 PM using the email addresses that are in PowerSchool. Some have also been wondering if there will be some type of "Classroom Sneak Peek" day planned prior to the start of school this year. I am hoping to schedule a time for families to visit. I will know more in the next week or two and will communicate out to all families as soon as I am able.
Please take time to read and review the information below regarding the start of school, as you will find many of your questions answered. One very effective means to communicate to our families is through email. Please be certain that your email address is up to date so that you can receive valuable and timely school information.
If you require further information or have any questions, please feel free to contact the school office. Throughout the year, look for our weekly newsletter, The Knight News. This newsletter will be emailed to your inbox each week and is designed as one tool to keep you aware of what is happening here at Plumbrook.
As a part of the Utica Community Schools, we hold high expectations regarding the success and achievement of all our students. Our staff strives to provide the most positive educational climate possible for academic growth. Don’t hesitate to call if you have a question, concern, or would like to support any of the activities planned for this year. By working together as a team, we can make this school year a very successful one for your child. I am looking forward to partnering with you for a successful school year!
Mrs. Zawierucha (Pronounced Zav-Ya-Roo-Ha)
Plumbrook Spirit Wear
Late Arrival/Early Dismissal
2021-2022 Lunch Supervisors Needed
We Invite you to join our UCS Team!
Utica Community Schools will be hosting a series of pop up job fairs throughout the district for a wide variety of open positions. The job fairs will be held on the following dates:
Thursday, August 19
Utica High School
47255 Shelby Road, Shelby Township, MI 48317
Monday, August 23
Bemis Junior High School
12500 19 Mile Road, Sterling Heights, MI 48313
The job fairs will allow interested applicants to learn more about open positions, meet with supervisors and current employees and complete an application. For more information, please visit: https://www.uticak12.org/ucsjobs
2021-2022 School Meal Program Information
Free and Reduced Lunch Information
UCS is pleased to inform our families that ALL students enrolled at Havel can receive a healthy breakfast and lunch for free each day! We do, however, still need our families click on the link below and fill out the Free and Reduced- Price Meal Application.
This information is critical in determining the amount of money that our school receives from a variety of State and Federal supplemental programs. These supplemental programs help us offer supports and services to our students including, but not limited to:
- Pandemic- EBT
- Instructional Supports (staff, supplies, materials, etc..)
- Professional Learning For Staff
- Parent & Community Engagement Supplies & Activities
We are asking that you please complete and submit the application as soon as possible to ensure that additional funding for our school is available to meet the needs of our students. All information on the application is confidential. Without your assistance in completing the application, our school cannot maximize the use of available State and Federal Funds.
If you need further assistance you can contact food services at 586-797-1180 or email them at email@example.com
2021-2022 Technology Device Responsibility, Damage Fee and Optional Insurance
Student Device Responsibility & Optional Insurance - For all Assigned 1:1 UCS Students
Utica Community Schools is proud to deliver 1:1 technology to our students. Depending upon the grade level, your child has been issued either an iPad or a Dell laptop including charging cords and any applicable accessories. Your child is responsible for the device at all times.
Additionally, a separate Technology Device Use Agreement that includes an electronic sign-off must be provided to the district prior to device distribution. This agreement includes the procedures for Board Policy 6600 - Acceptable Use of the District Technology Resources, acknowledgement that the Student Device Agreement has been discussed with your child, and you have read Board Policy 5160 – Information & Communication Technology.
The Technology Device Use Agreement can be found by logging in to your Unified Classroom/PowerSchool parent account using a web-browser (found at this link), selecting “Forms” from the Quick Links menu, and then selecting “Forms” again from the navigation bar. Please note that the PowerSchool app does not contain a link to district forms. Forms are only accessible through a web-browser.
In the event of damage to an iPad or laptop, district policies and practices require a charge be assessed to cover the repair or replacement cost of the device. The fees described below are based on use of a UCS-provided device and any damage to it, whether accidental or intentional, after it has been issued to the student.
Device Insurance Plan for Accidental Damage – Annual OPTIONAL COVERAGE
An annual insurance plan has been designed to help families if there is an accident that causes damage to the school issued device. When participating in the district’s insurance plan for $15 per year, any accidental damage reported will be covered as described below.
Insurance coverage will repair/replace the device for accidental damage with no cost incurred by the student for the first incident (claim). Subsequent damage repairs during the covered year will have a deductible assessed per instance. Insurance will cover a maximum of 3 damage occurrences during the covered year. The deductible fee schedule for each damage occurrence is outlined below. Please note, if insurance is not purchased, actual repair costs (not to exceed the cost of the device) will apply.
2021-2022 INSURANCE FEES
Insurance plan purchase • $15.00 per device, per year
Device Damage/Occurrence Fees (WITH INSURANCE)
• First Occurrence - NO CHARGE
• Second Occurrence – not to exceed $75 (iPad) / $150 (laptop)
• Third Occurrence – not to exceed $150 (iPad) / $300 (laptop)
• Thereafter – full repair/replacement cost
ITEMS NOT COVERED BY THIS OPTIONAL PLAN:
ACCESSORIES ARE NOT COVERED BY INSURANCE
• Accessories include, but are not limited to, a USB power adapter, charging cable and/or protective iPad case.
• Replacement of lost or damaged accessories is the responsibility of the student. Utica Community Schools recommends Original Equipment Manufacturer replacements.
INTENTIONAL DAMAGE IS NOT COVERED BY INSURANCE
• Any damage reported due to misuse, neglect or any other form of intentional damage will result in fees up to the full cost of replacing the device, regardless of your participation in the annual insurance plan.
DAMAGE DUE TO REMOVAL OF THE PROTECTIVE IPAD CASE IS NOT COVERED BY INSURANCE
• Utica Community Schools has selected a protective iPad case for all district issued iPads. Students must NEVER remove the case.
• Any damage that occurs due to the removal of an iPad case is considered
INTENTIONAL DAMAGE and is not covered by insurance.
LOST OR STOLEN DEVICE
• Lost devices are NOT COVERED under this optional insurance policy.
• In the case of theft of an iPad or laptop, a copy of a completed police report MUST BE RETURNED to Utica Community Schools. A stolen device IS COVERED by the purchased insurance ONLY IF a police report is filed and a copy provided to the district.
How to Purchase Device Insurance -- ONLINE:
The initial fee to purchase device insurance ($15 per device) can be paid online using your checking account, debit card or credit card through PaySchools. The link to PaySchools is unique to each individual school within the district. The link can be found on the homepage of the school your student attends, under “Parents” - “My *school name*” I have included the link for you below.
FINAL DATE TO ENROLL FOR TECHNOLOGY INSURANCE (2021-2022)
In order to be considered enrolled in the optional Technology Insurance Program, payments for 2021- 2022 school year must be received no later than Friday, September 10, 2021.
IF THE DEVICE IS DAMAGED:
In the event of damage, bring the device to your building principal. Your principal will advise the next steps.
HOW TO PAY FOR DEVICE DAMAGE FEES (with or without insurance) -- ONLINE:
All damage fees associated with the school issued device can also be paid online using PaySchools.
Security at Plumbrook
We are asking for your assistance to ensure that our security procedures during the school day are effective. As many of you know, our school has a security camera, intercom, and buzzer at the front entrance for use during the school day. To help us assist you when you would like to enter the school:
1. Please press the buzzer to speak with someone in the office
2. You will be asked to state your name and reason for visiting
3. You will be asked to show your photo ID into the security camera above the outside door
4. Office staff will then be able to buzz you inside
5. All visitors must immediately register in the office
In addition, we are asking you to not let any visitors in the door as you enter (and they come up behind you) or as you exit the building.
The teachers and staff are committed to student safety and security and we would like to thank you for your assistance in helping keep the students of Plumbrook safe.
Utica Community Schools are committed to providing a healthy and safe environment for each of our students. A health plan is required to be completed at the beginning of every school year. For your child's safety, we ask that all health forms are turned in prior to the first day of school, August 31st, 2021.
Health plans should be completed for any condition that may involve special dietary considerations, activity levels, medications, or treatment of urgent problems. Completion of health plans allows our staff to take the best possible care of your child.
A physician's signature is required on all health plans. Any medications that are to be distributed by school staff or used by students at school must have an Authorization for Medication completed and signed by a physician, including any over-the-counter medications.
Health Care Plans and Authorization for Medication forms are available at https://www.uticak12.org/cms/One.aspx?portalId=578321&pageId=5042259. Two transportation forms are required for every student that rides the bus with a COLOR picture attached to each form. Depending on your child’s diagnosis, the following forms are required by the school:
· Food Allergies/Insect Allergies/Latex Allergies: FARE Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Emergency Care Plan, Michigan Department of Education Medical Statement to Request Special Meals and/or Accommodations, 2 Authorization for Medications (one for an anti-histamine and one for Epinephrine), 2 Transportation Forms (if your child is a bus rider)
· MDE Dietary Accommodations: Required for Food Services for students with Food Allergies.
· Asthma: Asthma Health Care Plan, Authorization for Medication for a rescue inhaler, 2 Transportation Forms (if your child is a bus rider)
· Seizure: Seizure Health Care Plan, Authorization for Medication for rescue medications and/or other medications, 2 Transportation Forms (if your child is a bus rider)
· Diabetes: Diabetes Health Care Plan, 2 Transportation Forms (if your child is a bus rider) and you must submit your Diabetes Medical Management Plan from your Endocrinologist
· Heart Condition: Heart Condition Health Care Plan and 2 Transportation Forms (if your child is a bus rider).
· Any other diagnosis: General Health Care Plan, Authorization for Medication (if needed), 2 Transportation Forms (if your child is a bus rider)
Please return all the necessary, completed and signed forms (dated after July 1, 2021) prior to August 31st, 2021 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your cooperation will help ensure a safe and healthy school year. Any questions can be directed to: Megan Holmes, BSN, RN email@example.com
UCS Family Night at Jimmy Johns Field
Jimmy John’s Field is hosting a Utica Community Schools Back to School Night next Thursday, August 19th. All UCS families will receive $4 off their ticket purchase on this night using the promo code in the flyer below. I have also provided information
about the “Hot Dogs for Helping” back-to-school supplies drive . Jimmy John's Field is working to collect school supplies to donate to an underprivileged classroom this fall. Anyone who brings in school supplies to donate will receive a free hot dog for helping.