The Wonderful Whales
*******Miss Vananzo's One of a Kind Team Jan. 11*******
News from Room 25.
Swimming Through a Great Week!
In reading/spelling we...
- identifed the silent letters when seeing: wr, mb, sc, gn and kn. We pratice reading words with this sounds using our automoticity list and we played several games.
- began our new year off by listening to the story: The Snow Globe Family. The students loved the story and them wrote about what they would do if they lived in a snowglobe. The students them created a paper snowglobe decorated with glitter to represent the snow.
- Read the story Eagles and Eaglets from our anthology and then research eagles in the PebbleGo program.
- identified singular possessives and reviewed prefixes and suffixes.
- enjoyed another wonderful Book Muncher activity. We had 8 parent volunteers who read an story about a Penguin and the students read to perform a task to create their own penguin.
In math we:
- solved addition and subtraction story problems using various strategies. We did focus on these two strategies: Break apart a number: using tens and ones and drew tens and ones to represent the numbers.
- completed number sentences by solving for the unknown number: 36 + ? = 39
- began to tell stories for a given number sentence
Ocean of Events
- School Store Thursdays - 2nd & 3rd grade:
Clubs/Enrichment at JES:
· **Young Rembrandts drawing classes for Grades 1-5 on Mondays, 4-5pm, starting Jan. 25th – registration links/info coming this week* (Sponsored by JES PTA)
**Bricks4Kidz Lego classes for Kindergarten to Gr. 3 on Fridays, 4-5pm, starting Jan. 22nd –registration links/info coming this week* (Sponsored by JES PTA)
Contact: Whitney Leber – WEPLeber@comcast.net
- Jan. 15, 9:30am – PTA Monthly Meeting – all welcome (WEPLeber@comcast.net
- Jan. 18 – Schools and Offices Closed – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr’s. Birthday Observed
- Jan. 19 – Schools Closed for Students – Professional Development for Staff
- Jan. 20 – BOOK DRIVE begins for gently used or new children’s and young adult/YA books (PTA Outreach)
- By Jan. 31: Order your 2015-16 YEARBOOK ($25) at www.jostensyearbooks.com - search for Jacksonville Elementary in Phoenix, MD. Contact: Amy Bachran -abachran@gmail.
- Jan. 12, 6:30pm: BCPS Board of Educ. Public Hearing on FY17 Operating Budget, Heat Policy, and Superintendent’s Contract @ Greenwood Campus (snow date 1/20)
- Jan. 13, 10am-12pm: Understanding Anxiety and How to Help Your Anxious Child (at White Oak School - 8401 Leefield Road, Baltimore, MD 21234) – free workshop sponsored by BCPS Special Education Resource Center – to register, email@example.com or call 410-887-5443
Catch of the Week
- We did learn all the new strokes needed for cursive writing. This week we will begin our letters. I encourage The Whales to use the formations I model to write the letters. These are the lower case letters I will begin with: i, t, u, w, e, l, b, h, s, k, r, f,
- Eventhough the weather is colder... when possible I do take the team outside for recess. Please be sure your child is dressed warmly.
- Thanks for the wipes and tissues... they are so helpful
It's a Whale of a Word
Our word of the week is:
Definition: what you know and what you learn
Sentence: My science teacher loves sharing her knowledge of nature with us.
**If you bring the word of the week into class written on a piece of paper and tell what sound the "dge" makes in the word, you will receive a special shell.
Gym: Monday and Friday
If your child wears any type of boots to school, please be sure they bring tennis shoes on gym days.
Library Books are Due Each Wednesday
Let's see if we can get 100% of our class to return their books on Wednesday. We can do it.
Dive Into Reading Program
January forms have been added to your child's folder. Please encourage your child to continue to read and count their minutes even if they have reached the 1,000 minutes goal. Thank you