The Downing Dispatch
Attention 6th Grade Boy Parents
EXTERNAL PE REGISTRATION FOR NEXT SCHOOL YEAR
External PE registration for the next school year is now open!!
It is best to get your registration completed before the end of May to help ensure approvals get to the schools before schedule assignments/summer break.
Last day to register for Fall 2023-24 is August 11th, 2023 by 4pm.
- Online Application for the 2023-24 school year (must submit first in order to begin the admission process)
- Online fee payment here
- Approved Facilities
- Facility Approval Instructions
All of this information is available on the External PE website as well.
Spring Testing Dates
Here is a list of dates that we will be testing this Spring:
- March 28th Reading Interim Test (all grades)
- March 29th Science Interim Test (8th only)
- March 30th SS Interim Test (8th only)
- April 6th Math/Algebra Interim Test (all grades)
- April 26th STAAR Reading (all grades)
- May 2nd STAAR Social Studies (8th only)
- May 4th STAAR Science (8th only)
- May 9th STAAR Math/Algebra EOC (all grades)
All students need to have their iPad charged and the keyboard working for each day of testing!!
If your child(ren) have lost/misplaced/damaged their keyboard, they can get a replacement for $40. The keyboard is HIGHLY recommended by TEA for all STAAR/EOC test. Feel free to have your child reach out to Mr. Hilliard with questions regarding a replacement iPad keyboard.
SPRING FOOD DRIVE
Please drop off these items to the front office. Thank you for your support!
Please Join Us!
April is National Volunteer Month! We are so thankful for our community! Anyone who has volunteered during this school year is welcome to attend our Appreciation Luncheon on April 18th at 11:30 a.m.
Officer Buck spoke with Ms. Leverett's Contemporary World classes about Middle Eastern law systems and how they compare to US Law.
Attention 8th Grade Parents
Please note that ALL 8th grade students will be going to Pinstack for an end-of-year party to celebrate the completion of Downing Middle School on May 17.
We will be there for about 3 ½ hours and then will come back to a field day for the remainder of the day! Please be on the lookout for volunteer opportunities and chaperone opportunities.
We are very proud of our students! Thank you!
📚DOWNING LIBRARY INFORMATION📚
A repeat of last month’s Newsletter but it bears repeating:
- Next year’s 7th Grade Girls Scoliosis Screening
- Next year’s 8th grade Boys Scoliosis Screening
- Next year’s 7th grade Immunizations- Tdap less than 5 years and Meningococcal vaccines
As we approach the end of this school year, I would like to put the proverbial “Bug” in your ear.
All incoming 7th grade girls and 8th grade boys have to have a scoliosis screening next year, according to Texas State Law. For girls, it is when they are 12 and for boys, it is when they are 13.
There are several ways we can get this done:
- If you take your “soon to be” 7th grade daughter or 8th grade son to the Doctor this summer, the scoli screening will likely be done during the visit. Here is the Scoli Form for the physician to fill out. I will also attach it to this newsletter.
- If your child is planning to do athletics, next year, the Marcus Physical night is being held on May 10th. Please save this date! Page 1 Physical Form , Page 2 Physical Form. Scoliosis screening is part of that physical. Please copy (screen shot or physical copy) the Physical Form and send me a copy. You could also give the examiner this Scoli Form or print the one that has been attached. They would sign that form as well. This form is much, more, clear and the examiners name is on it. We need to know who did the examination. Your child can bring it or you can email it to me. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Finally, I will be conducting a screening in the fall. I promise, your student would much rather get this done one of the other two ways, above. Not sure why, but this screening they find to be embarrassing. I do all I can to eliminate any reason for that, but it still remains “dreaded”.
Finally, all incoming 7th graders need their Tdap booster and Meningitis vaccinations. Your child will not be able to receive their schedule next year without these. You can send the vaccine form to me and I will update their record, as they come in. If for some reason you have any questions about this, please call or email and I will look into it.
Happy Spring. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Please send an email to DMSattendance@lisd.net every time your child will not be in school.
If they are visiting a medical provider that note must be sent within three days, but it is very helpful when received the same day via email.
Thank you for your help!
Angela Borisch Staples
Downing Middle School Attendance Clerk/Registrar