Chemistry of Life
BY KYLE G. AND BASIL W.
Water is a colorless and tasteless liquid found in basic organisms.
- water freezes at 32 degrees and boils at 212 degrees Fahreinheit.
- it has surface tention: when water molecules acttract to other water molecules (hydrogen bonds) and allow some small organisms to walk on water.
- Water is less dense when frozen
- not polar substances do not dissolve well in water.
- water is polar
- water bonds to itself (Cohesion)
- Water bonds to other substances
- Water pH is neutral at 7
- Solutions with a pH less than 7 are acidic and solutions with a pH bigger than 7 are basic.
- Carbohydrates are macromolecules and are a key source of energy.
- They can be found in bread, fruits, Vegetables, and food with added sugar.
- They give us a source of energy and helps us with working the brain, heart and nervous, digestive and immune systems.
- If you dont eat enough you can become fatigue or poor mental functions
- The different types are monosaccharides, polysaccharides, oligosaccharides, and disaccharides
- Proteins come in many types.
- They are made up of high amino acids.
- They are macromolecules.
- Protein can be found in meat, poultry, seafood, dairy, eggs and many plant-based foods.
- Proteins are labeled building blocks because they repair damaged tissue
- Hair, skin, eyes, muscles and organs are all made from protein
- protein is a major source of energy
- Protein is involved in the creation of some hormones.
- Enzymes are proteins that increase the rate of chemical reactions in the body.
- Protein is a major element in transportation of certain molecules.
- Protein forms antibodies that help prevent infection.