May 1, 2020
The Weaverville Elementary staff has tried to think of various ways to stay connected with our students and families.
- We have invited instructional assistants to partner with some classroom teachers to provide more support in various ways including small group 'Zooming'.
- We have mailed postcards, letters, and even some work materials to students. We have provided opportunities for families to come to school to pick up free books and school supplies (of course while following social distancing guidelines). We just ordered more postcards so we can reach every student!
- We have had staff and Officer Ray complete home visits to check on some students.
- We have weekly check-ins with all staff to discuss student concerns and then we compile those concerns during a meeting with the principal, social worker and school counselor.
- We used PTO funds to purchase a school-wide subscription to the Seesaw platform which will allow more staff members to 'join' a teacher's class so our second-grade students will receive more personalized feedback from specialists and support teachers. (Thank you PTO!).
- We have secured additional funding from PTO to purchase a yearbook for every student so there is no financial burden on our families to have this keepsake. (Our PTO rocks!)
- Classroom teachers are working tirelessly to respond to student questions, give feedback on work, and maintain relationships with their students. We Zoom, You Zoom, They Zoom! We are all 'Zooming' along!
- We have highlighted student work on Facebook and Instagram to highlight the awesome things our students are doing while learning at home!
Please reach out to us if you have a need that hasn't been met and we will see what we can do. We appreciate you completing the recent survey regarding Virtual Days instruction and we appreciate your support of your child's learning.
With the news that we will finish the school year in a Virtual learning format, there has been a sense of loss among staff. I think that is true for most students as well. In partnership with WPS, we have planned a Weaverville Schools Spirit Drive-Through Parade event that will allow us to 'connect' with one another. Please see the details below.
We are currently planning ways to celebrate our students at the end of the school year and coordinate a time for you to pick up your child's personal belongings as well as return anything that needs to be returned to campus. We will share those plans soon.
I hope you stay safe and connected!
Need emotional help for your child? Please reach out! Mrs. Benfield is available to talk with your child and we can direct you to resources for adults!
Virtual Days phone number 828-484-1202
Office Hours: 9am-1pm
Digital Platform: Teacher's Google Classroom (grades 3-4), Teacher's Seesaw (grade 2)
If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, please contact Mobile Crisis at 1-888-573-1006, call 911, or go to the nearest emergency room / hospital
Parade route overview
Detailed parade images
We hope you can join us on Thursday, May 7 between 5-6 PM! We can't wait to wave at you!
Frequently Asked Questions END OF YEAR GRADING AND STUDENT PROMOTION Approved-NC State Board of Education-April 23, 2020
Why did the NC State Board of Education create this grading policy?
• State leaders believe it is important that grading policies positively impact as many students as possible, validate the efforts of students and all those supporting remote learning, and address issues of equity and excellence.
• It is the intention of this policy to ensure no students receive a failing grade and that students’ grades as of March 13 serve as a minimum or a hold harmless point.
Will my child receive final grades for this school year?
Elementary Students-Grades K-5
• Grades K-5 students will not receive a final grade.
• Teachers will provide year-end written feedback for students/families based on their learning this school year.
• School district leaders will decide the format for this feedback.
• Academic and social/emotional feedback will be used to help transition students into the new school year.
Will my child be promoted to the next grade?
• Student promotion and retention will remain the decision of the school principal and staff.
• Schools will primarily focus on those retention cases that were already well underway prior to March 13 for reasons other than the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic issues.
Please see the attached PDF from NCDPI for the entire document (below).
Virtual Field Day is Coming! Mark your calendars!
Imagine Math and Imagine Language & Literacy (aka Imagine Learning)
Students are familiar with the online reading program that we use - Imagine Language & Literacy which we commonly refer to as Imagine Learning. This is a wonderful reading resource that tailors literacy instruction to your child's needs. Thank you for having your child continue to complete this program at home. The weekly goal is to work for at least 100 minutes in this program. We have just learned that this program will be available for students through the end of July.
Imagine Math is a new program that only a few of our students are familiar with. Last year we had a subscription for all fourth-grade students. There are two versions of the program - a K-2 version and a grade 3 and up version. To get started in this program, students participate in an introduction, complete a simple lesson and then take a placement assessment. The placement assessment may seem very easy depending on your child's ability level and it may take a few days to complete. Once this is completed the program will tailor the activities to meet your child's needs. At this point, if we find that the program is too easy or too difficult for your child we can make manual adjustments. We hope that your child has been able to get started with this online resource.
For those who have already started using Imagine Math, we have had reports that the platform may be glitchy at times. We shared that with the company and this is the response:
As parents run into these lag times, we can encourage them to reach out to customer care so that maybe we can find a pattern. Our tech team has been continually monitoring our system’s resources to make sure we can handle the increased load of at-home users, and those have all still been good to go.
Customer Care: 1.866.457.8776
Thanks for your patience!
Please let us know if you have questions about either of these meaningful resources!
Congratulations to a new group of students who were recognized today on Facebook for completing Imagine Language & Literacy! We are so proud of you!
May 1 - 2nd Grade Teachers Book and School Supply Giveaway - 11:30 - 1:30
May 7 - Weaverville Schools Spirit Drive Through Parade - 5-6 PMMay 19 - 2nd Grade Virtual Field Day 10:00 - 11:30
May 20 - 3rd Grade Virtual Field Day 10:00 - 11:30
May 21 - 4th Grade Virtual Field Day 10:00 - 11:30
June 3 - Last Day for the 2019-2020 School Year and Virtual Learning
August 17 - Planned 1st Day of School for the 2020-2021 School Year