JMI Monthly Newsletter
Week of Respect - October 5 - October 9
From Mrs. Abatemarco, Principal
- The daily schedule has dedicated periods for each subject area, including related arts, which has brought more structure to the day for our students.
- Teachers are using Google Classroom, Google Meet, Zoom and a plethora of other online platforms to deliver live lessons to students and then provide additional support during small group periods.
- We are proud to continue our Morning Announcement messages where students recite the Pledge of Allegiance, our PBSIS (Positive Behavior Support in Schools) pledge and we share a reason to celebrate every day!
- Our efforts to incorporate Social Emotional Learning continues with dedicated time for student interaction during Morning Meetings and Closing Circle.
- Teachers and families started building strong partnerships through the Meet and Greet that took place during the first days of school.
On behalf of the entire staff, I would like to express our gratitude for all your patience and support. We could not do what we do without you. Thank you for making sure your child is up and ready for each day of learning. Thank you for establishing an area in your home where your child can focus on their schoolwork. Thank you for checking your child's Google Classroom and Parent Portal to make sure their assignments are completed. Thank you for communicating with your child's teacher about their progress. Thank you for the numerous emails of appreciation and support of our staff and teachers. We look forward to strengthening our partnership as we move into the second month of the school year.
On October 19, the district plans to move into our hybrid model. In this model, teachers will be in the classrooms teaching students who are in-person and students who are remote simultaneously. The rosters for in-person and remote learning were based on the survey that families completed during the summer.
- In-person students can change to remote learning at any time. Please email your child's homeroom teacher or me to change your child from in-person to remote.
- Remote students cannot change to in-person.
A JMI Hybrid Family Handbook will be shared with all families who are coming for in-person instruction.
As always, please do not hesitate to reach out to me or our Assistant Principal, Mr. Mirfield, with any questions or concerns and we will do our absolute best to help you any way possible.
Click the title above to access all the Back to School Night presentations.
Mr. Mirfield has been hosting our annual PBSIS Kick-Off Assembly with each homeroom. During these mini-assemblies, students learn what it means to be a "JMI Knight" by discussing the four letters on our mascot's shield:
R = Respect
R = Responsible
S = Safe
K = Kind
At JMI, we encourage students to "Let Their KNIGHT Light Shine" by demonstrating these pillars on a daily basis.
The week of October 19, Mr. Ford will be doing classroom lessons with each homeroom about the importance of treating everyone with respect. Mr. Ford will also review important anti-bullying lessons like the definition of bullying, what it means to be an up-stander, and how to handle conflict with a peer.
If your child's device is not working, please complete a Tech Help Desk Ticket. The Edison Tech Department will reach out to you once the ticket has been processed with further guidance.
Students will have an opportunity to participate in co-curricular clubs virtually. Some of our most popular clubs like Art Club, Drama Club, and Newspaper Club are back for the 2020 - 2021 school year. We've also added some new clubs this year like the JMI Podcast Club, Homework Club, and Book Clubs.
JMI has also partnered with Code Nijas, Mad Science, and Edison Steamworks to provide additional after-school enrichment opportunities.
More information regarding all clubs is coming soon.
Our JMI Family Handbook contains a lot of important information regarding our school's policies and procedures. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your child's teacher or the main office at 732-452-2960.