Kolb Eagle Flyer
Message from Principal Clara Lee
Dear Kolb Families,
Thank you to all our wonderful parent volunteers who made October a truly exciting month for our students with Trunk or Treat, all the classroom activities during Red Ribbon Week, and First Grade Science. (I hope you were able to see some of the great learning on our IG Kolbeagles.) Great schools always have great parents behind the scenes providing the manpower behind the programs that make learning engaging and exciting for our students.
The holiday season is also a time when many of our families travel for extended periods to home countries. If you are planning to do so, please be sure to follow our guidelines for Independent Study Contracts, which must be approved 10 days before you leave by an administrator. (For more information, see below)
This is a great time for families to think about and give to others in need. We have some collection bins in the front of our school to collect canned goods for families who do not have as much as many of us do. Please consider donating items for these families.
Along with the cold weather, students are often leaving their clothing behind as the day gets warmer. Please be sure to label all clothing in permanent ink for a better chance of retrieval. We collect the lost items in the Lost and Found, but when this bin becomes very full and items have not been claimed for over a number of weeks, they do get donated.
Thank you for your partnership in making Kolb great every day!
Calendar of Events for November 2019
11/2 - MINIMUM DAY 12:42pm dismissal Gr 1 - 5
11/3 - Daylight Savings Time ENDS – Fall Back 1 hour
11/7 - Breakfast Book Club 7:00am
11/11 - NO SCHOOL – Veteran’s Day Observed
11/12 - New Toy Drive starts at Kolb
11/12 - DUSD Board Meeting 5:30pm at District Office
11/13 - Kona Ice sold after school
11/14 - Parent-Faculty Club Mtg 6:00 pm
11/15 - Spirit Day – Dress like a celebrity
11/20 - Early Release 2pm Dismissal for conferences
11/21 - Character assemblies
11/22 - NO SCHOOL – Teacher Work Day
11/25-29 - NO SCHOOL – Thanksgiving Break
A huge Thank you to Kolb PFC for our Trunk or Treat event!
Thank to all our parents for coming out to watch the parade!
No school Monday, November 11th
Is your child going to miss 5 - 10 consecutive days of school??
It is imperative that your student attends school daily. Lost classroom time is difficult to replace. However, if you find that you need an extended absence during the school year, you will need to request an Independent Study Contract. Independent Study is limited to once per school year and for a minimum of 5 school days / maximum of 10 school days. Requests should be made in the Kolb Office at least 10 school days prior to the absence. For more details please see the link below!
Lunch At Kolb!
Menus changes when we come back from Thanksgiving Break!
Check out the link below for information!
Reminder: If you are bringing your child a lunch, it must be delivered by:
11:10am - Grades 1 - 3
12:10pm - Grades 4 - 5
- Students are not allowed on campus before 8:10am as there is no supervision
- All Volunteer Forms must be submitted to your child's teacher (not the office)
- There is an "I FORGOT" table by the office. You may leave items your child forgets on the table and email the teacher to inform her what has been left. District policy prohibits us from interrupting instruction to make classroom delivers.
- A DUSD Parent Handbook is available for your review.
2019-20 Student Council Representatives
Keeping our School Healthy!
We wanted to share information to help keep our students healthy as we have seen a rise in cases of viral gastroenteritis (stomach flu) and as flu season is upon us.
Viral gastroenteritis (stomach flu) is highly contagious. Please read the following guidance from our partners at the Alameda County Public Health Department to help protect yourself and your student(s) in staying healthy:
- Please encourage your child to wash their hands thoroughly with warm water and soap after using the toilet and prior to eating.
- If your child has ‘stomach flu-like’ symptoms, including upset stomach, vomiting and/or diarrhea, or a fever, please keep your child home from school.
- If your child has vomiting and/or diarrhea, it is important that your child DOES NOT return to school until at least 2 full days (48 hours) AFTER the symptoms have ended AND your child feels better.
- It is also recommended that your child not attend any group events such as birthday parties, clubs or sports teams, etc. until at least 48 hours after symptoms have ended.
- If your child is absent due to illness, please provide the details of symptoms that your child is experiencing to your school attendance office.
Additionally with flu season upon us, we urge families to follow the recommendation of the County Public Health Department and CDC in getting an annual flu vaccination. We also recommend avoiding close contact with individuals who are sick; avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth; cover your coughs and sneezes; and washing your hands often.
Please find the attached fact sheets and flyers on viral gastroenteritis including norovirus as well as the flu to educate yourselves and students.
Thank you for your continued support and cooperation in keeping our students healthy and ready to learn,