News from Room 15
January 6-22, 2016
Welcome back! I hope everyone enjoyed the holiday season and had a relaxing break. We are ready to get back in the groove here at school. We will be starting off the new year with another one of my favorite units - winter and arctic animals. Some highlights will be making snow pictures, playing winter sports charades, searching for lost mittens, telling stories about snowmen, writing pages for a class book, and building igloos. We will be starting a new math unit about measurement and continuing with our letters of the week.
- I learned some great new tips for communication at Professional Development this week. Please look for a text or email invite to join our Remind group. Downloading the free Remind app will make communication even easier and grow our classroom community.
- If your child receives progress notes as part of an IEP, updates will be coming home this week. Please let me know if you have any questions after reviewing them.
- We do go outside for recess whenever weather permits (the cut off for outdoor recess is 15 degrees/wind chill). Please make sure your students have appropriate outdoor clothing. It is helpful to staff if items are marked with names. Thank you!
- If you requested online only newsletters, you will no longer be receiving paper copies in the folder this quarter. Please email me if you would like to change that option.
Have a great week!
~ Ms. Jackie, Mrs. Joyce, Mrs. Patrice
Theme and Stories We Will Share
Winter by Siam Smith
A Snowy Day by Melvin and Gilda Berger
Snowmen at Night by Carolyn Buehner
The Snowy Day by Jack Ezra Keats
The Jacket I Wear in the Snow by ShirleyNeitzel
The Mitten by Jan Brett
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin, Jr.
Cool Penguins! by Jeff Bauer
Powerful Polar Bears by Elizabeth Bennett
We will know the name and sound for the letters Jj, Dd, and Pp. (literacy)
We will be able to write the letters Jj, Dd, and Pp. (literacy)
We will be able to segment the sounds in a word. (literacy)
We will be able to complete a writing prompt. (literacy)
We will be able to follow the rules for writing (left to right, spaces). (literacy)
We will be able to retell and sequence a story. (literacy)
We will know corresponding sounds for letters. (literacy)
We will know lower case letters. (literacy)
We will be able to recite the alphabet and put letters in order. (literacy)
We will be able to select words that rhyme. (literacy)
We will be able to sort, classify, and order items by size. (math)
We will know the attributes of length and weight. (math)
We will know circle time expectations. (PBS)
We will understand how to keep our bodies safe. (PBS)
We will know activities, items, and clothing related to winter.
We will be able to compare penguins and polar bears.
Activities for Home
- Talk about ways the weather changes and how the temperature affects weather. You can even do your own ice/water experiments at home.
- Practice reciting the alphabet or writing letters in order. If you have flashcards you can pt them in order as a game.
- Compare items based on length and weight.
- Wednesday, January 6th - Classes Resume
- Wednesday, January 6th - Parent Meeting for Child Center Presentations
- January 11th-15th - Duckling Days - wear duckling shirts or blue and yellow
- January 14th & 15th - Child Center Presentations Part 1
- January 18th - NO School - MLK, Jr Day
- January 21st & 22nd - Child Center Presentations Part 2
- February 1st-5th - Duckling Days - wear duckling shirts or blue and yellow
- Wednesday, February 10th - Valentine's Day Parties
- Friday, February 12th - NO School - Professional Development Day
- Monday, February 15th - NO School - President's Day
- Friday, February 19th - Duckling Dance sponsored by the Hackmann Action Team (more info to come)
Child Center Presentations
In January, we will be having lessons from The Child Center in our classrooms. The lessons focus on the rights of a child’s body. A letter/permission slip came home before break with more information. We do need a signed permission slip giving or denying permission for every student. Please return the permission slip as soon as possible. There is also a parent information meeting hosted by The Child Center to present more information about the lessons. This meeting will be at Hackmann on January 7th at 6:30. Parents are encouraged to attend. There are also parent meetings schedule at the two other Early Childhood locations in the district. If you need those dates and times, please let me know.
Preschool Enrollment for 2016-17
Re-enrollment for current preschool families will be on Monday, January 25th at Hackmann (and our other early childhood sites) from 6:00-7:30 pm. Re-enrollment will continue during school hours after that evening, but will be open to the community on February 1st. Please plan to enroll early so you have a spot for next year. Re-enrollment is for current students, their siblings, and employees of Francis Howell.