Francis Howell Golf Weekly Notes
Week of April 4th 2016
Schedule Change -- FHN Match Moves From April 12th to April 20th
- The home match against FHN has moved from 4/12 to 4/20
- The change was made to allow for the varsity team to leave after school on 4/12 for the Laker Invitational in Camdenton the next day.
- April 20th will now have BOTH the FHN match and the Elsberry Tournament.
- We will send five golfers to Elsberry and play ten golfers in the FHN match.
Missing School and Tournaments
We are hitting the busy schedule for tournaments. It is important that golfers remain proactive in getting work for days that they miss school for tournaments. We have 20 golfers in the program and will be more than happy to have tournament lineups made up of student athletes who can balance academics and golf.
Birdie Fire Stats
The link above contains my DropBox folder of individual golfer, team, match, and tournament stats entered in Birdie Fire. Golfers can access some of these things in the web version of Birdie Fire if they log in. Some things to keep in mind:
- These stats are only as accurate as how the golfers enter them. I don't make any evaluation of lineups by the stats. I mainly use it to get an idea of what each golfer's strengths and weaknesses are, as well as what we need to work on as a team.
- GET YOUR STATS IN! It takes you five to ten minutes to put stats in after a round. It takes me significantly more time to go in, check to see who hasn't entered stats, and then contact the offenders. Make my life easier, please. ALL BIRDIE FIRE STATS FOR MATCH AND TOURNAMENT ROUNDS NEED TO BE ENTERED AT THE COURSE. I pull these reports the night of the event.
- Make sure you are tracking Up & Down correctly. You should make sure you enter Up & Down if you had the CHANCE for an Up & Down for par/birdie. You then would enter YES or NO. If you only enter Up & Down when you are successful, the stats are thrown off.
- Take a look at your stats to see what areas you need to improve in!
Team Stat Rankings
Are you interested in ordering extra hats?
We have had quite a few people indicate an interest in purchasing golf hats. The cost of a hat would be $30, with proceeds going to the Booster Club. Checks would be made payable to "FH Boys Golf Booster Club".
I have a limited supply right now of extras, but will put in an extra order if there is more interest. I will fulfill requests from the current supply on a first come, first serve basis based on when the interest form below was submitted.
I will put in an extra order to fulfill requests beyond current supply. The Google Form to put in a request is below. You may have to click on it, if viewing in email. Here is a direct link in case you have problems with the form (Link).
Francis Howell Golf Team Fundraiser Tournament -- July 21st
Please mark your calendar!
- This is a crucial part to funding our program.
- Our program goes above and beyond compared to others in the area. We have range finders, practice rounds, extra equipment, etc.
- Much of this has to do with having the money raised from our annual tournament. In addition, Whitmoor is very kind to us because we provide them with consistent business through our tournament.
- We don't do five hundred different fundraisers. The tournament is our main focal point for fundraising.
- We will be seeking your help in obtaining golfers, hole sponsors (great source of money), and raffle/basket donation items.
- In addition, we will also be looking for volunteers to help in planning and helping on the day of the tournament.
Bogey Hills Tournament
2nd Place finish at Bogey Hills
Bogey Hills Stats
Washington JV Tournament
2nd Place Finish at Washington JV Tournament
Washington Tournament Stats
Varsity and JV Sweep Match Against FHC
- Varsity shot a 161 total to FHC's 214 and secured 6 points in stroke play. They also won 4.5 out of 5 match points to secure a 10.5-0.5 overall victory. Blake Porter was the match medalist with a 38. All five Howell golfers secured individual points for the end of season All-Conference and Golfer of Year awards.
- JV shot a 177 total to FHC's 247 and secured 6 points in stroke play. All five JV golfers won their respective matches to give the team an 11-0 win. Andrew Smith was match medalist with a 41.
FHC Match Scoresheets
FHC Match Stats
1. Eliminate Penalty Shots
2. Eliminate Three Putts
3. Eliminate Two Chips
4. Improve Up and Down %
Course Management/Strategy -- 70% Rule
- It is an extremely tight golf hole with OB left and right.
- We are flirting with the right side where the OB comes into play. It really is deceiving optically.
- We are bringing big scores into play with club selection. Depending on wind conditions, an iron, hybrid, or wood off the tee down the left-hand side of the fairway can take a big score out of the equation.
This video gives a simple strategy on making any decision on the course (club selection, aiming for middle of green or pin, etc.).
A question to ask yourself: Can I execute this shot 70% of the time with success?
Schedule for Week of 4/4
- Lake Forest lineup is Porter, Marcelle, Hunt, and Dallas. Our tee times start at 8am on the back and then proceed every ten minutes until the 8:30 time slot. Golfers will drive themselves and will meet Coach Henley at Mario's at 6am.
- Union lineup is Boczkiewicz, Smith, Nelson, Wuest, and Diesfeld. Tee times at Birch Creek start at 8am (don't know our times). All golfers should meet Coach Storts at the Howell back parking lot at 6am SHARP!
There will be no practice for those not participating in tournaments. Golfers are encouraged to get work in on their own.
Tuesday 4/5: Varsity and JV Match at Troy (Woods Fort). WEAR BLACK. This is a five person JV and five person Varsity match at Woods Fort. We will leave from school via vans. We may have space for a couple extras if Troy allows it.
Wednesday 4/6: Practice at Whitmoor after school.
Thursday 4/7: Varsity and JV Match against FZW at Whitmoor.
Friday 4/8: Practice at Whitmoor.
Preliminary Schedule for Week of 4/11
Monday 4/11: The top eight golfers via PAvg on 4/8 will practice at Winghaven for the Bulldog Battle (Thursday). Practice for rest of the team is To Be Determined.
Tuesday 4/12: Varsity has a tournament on Wednesday at Old Kinderhook in the Lake of the Ozarks. Those five golfers who will be going (would like to have lineup finalized by end of previous week) will be leaving with Coach Wayne right after school in the van to go down to the Lake to stay at one of the houses at Kinderhook. We may get a few holes in for practice before sunset, eat dinner, and get a good night’s rest for the tournament. Practice for the rest of the team at Whitmoor.
Wednesday 4/13: Tournament for Varsity at Old Kinderhook. We will return to Howell immediately following the tournament. Practice for everyone else at Whitmoor.
Thursday 4/14: We have two tournaments.
- Bulldog Battle (Top 4 Golfers)
- Warrenton Tournament (We will send JV)
- Everyone else will have day off
Friday 4/15: Picture day at Whitmoor (more information to follow)
Saturday 4/16: Hannibal Varsity Tournament. We will send JV. I will confirm golfers this week.
Important Save the Dates
1. Golf End of Season BBQ -- Tuesday, May 31st
We will celebrate the season and honor our seniors. Time and location TBA. We would love 100% attendance from golfers and families.
2. Golf Camp -- June 20th - June 23rd
We are tentatively scheduled to hold golf camp June 20th - June 23rd from 8am-12pm. We do not expect current team members to register, but we do ask for any help we can get from them as counselors during the week. This helps grow the game of golf for younger kids in the area and helps develop the future of our program. Many of our current program members are camp alumni.
3. Francis Howell Boys Golf Tournament -- Thursday, July 21st
This is a crucial part to funding our program. Our program goes above and beyond compared to others in the area. We have range finders, practice rounds, extra equipment, etc. Much of this has to do with having the money raised from our annual tournament. In addition, Whitmoor is very kind to us because we provide them with consistent business through our tournament. We don't do five hundred different fundraisers. The tournament is our main focal point for fundraising. We will be seeking your help in obtaining golfers, hole sponsors (great source of money), and raffle/basket donation items. In addition, we will also be looking for volunteers to help in planning and helping on the day of the tournament.
Season PAvg Spreadsheet:
Howell Golf Website:
Activities Department Howell Golf site:
Follow Howell Golf on Twitter:
Remind -- I tend to send out quick updates via this method: