December 19, 2016
A Note to Staff
Well, we have reached the home stretch! The break is near, and you certainly deserve one. Your reprieve from the alarm clock is just three days away. However, I am sure no one is counting down:)!
As we progress through the last week and finish up finals, please take time to reflect on the wonderful things that you and your students have accomplished. You have worked very hard to help our students to continue to grow academically, socially, and emotionally. Please take a moment and...
- think about the students who have progressed since you gave your first formative or who have improved after getting off to a rocky start.
- think about the relationships you have formed with kids in your classroom and how those relationships have impacted them academically and behaviorally.
- think about how those relationships have enriched your own experience this year.
- think about how you have helped your students to see the value of effort.
I hope that you realize what good work you are doing on a daily basis. I know it is not easy. I am so thankful for all that you do to make FHN a great place to grow and learn! What you do every day matters, and it is truly impacting our kids.
Happy Holidays to you and yours!
FEATURED STAFF MEMBER OF THE WEEK--5 QUICK FACTS
- I have a fabulous husband, Sean, who is a firefighter at Community Fire Protection District in St. Ann.He also serves as a Vice President of the Firefighters Union.
- I have two amazing kids, Kori and Sam. Kori is an engineer at the Frito Lay plant in Denver and Sam is a senior at Fort Zumwalt West. Next year, he will be a Mizzou Tiger! Both my kids are awesome snowboarders.
- I love to travel! My favorite vacation spots are Mexico, Hilton Head Island, and Outerbanks of NC, basically anywhere there is a beach. I also love to shop, read and work out!
- This summer we are taking a road trip out west to visit my daughter in Denver. We plan on doing a lot of hiking, biking, and camping in the mountains.
- My very first teaching job, way back in 1996, was at an alternative school in South City. The students were allowed multiple smoke breaks during the day and weekly trips to the local pool hall. I barely survived that year!
Next up: Shelbi Dillon
FRANCIS HOWELL NORTH HIGH SCHOOL FIRST SEMESTER EXAM SCHEDULE
Monday, December 19, 2016
1st Hour Exam 7:20-8:50(90 minutes)
Passing Period8:50-8:55(5 minutes)
2nd Hour Exam 8:55-10:25 (90 minutes)
NO THIRD HOUR CLASS
4AB Class:10:30-11:20(50 minutes)
4BC Class:10:55-11:45(50 minutes)
4C5A Class:11:25-12:15(50 minutes)
5AB Class:11:50-12:45(55 minutes)
4A Lunch:10:25-10:50(25 minutes)
4C Lunch:11:20-11:45(25 minutes)
5B Lunch:12:20-12:45(25 minutes)
NO SIXTH HOUR CLASS
7th Hour Exam12:50-2:20 (90 minutes)
Tuesday, December 20, 2016
Passing Period8:15-8:20(5 minutes)
3rd Hour Exam8:20-9:50(90 minutes)
Passing Period9:50-9:55(5 minutes)
4th Hour Exam9:55-11:25(90 minutes) SCHOOL DISMISSED
Wednesday, December 21, 2016
Passing Period8:15-8:20(5 minutes)
5th Hour Exam8:20-9:50(90 minutes)
Passing Period9:50-9:55(5 minutes)
6th Hour Exam9:55-11:25(90 minutes) SCHOOL DISMISSED
MAKEUP EXAM SCHEDULE:
Tuesday, December 20, 201612:30PM-3:30PMRoom 218
Wednesday, December 21, 2016 12:30PM-3:30PMRoom 218
Tuesday, January 3, 20172:30 PM-5:00PMRoom 218
Wednesday, January 4, 20172:30 PM-5:00PMRoom 218
- Congratulations to Anne Freeman, Shelly Parks and Tim Besse on being finalists for teacher of the year.
- Numerous organizations have worked incredibly hard to provide for others who need help during the holiday season. Way to be knights for others.
- First semester is in the books.
- Shelly Parks was recognized at the December board meeting for winning the Emerson Award for Excellence in Education.
KOE will be providing Stefanina's pasta, salad, and bread sticks on Tuesday, December 20th in the commons at 11:30.
Please bring your own drink.
We will also be raffling off lots of gift cards that the KOE kids donated for you. As always, you have to be present to win.
Here is important information for when we return from break:
January 3rd: ½ Meeting and ½ Work Day:
7:00-7:30 Breakfast in the commons
7:30-9:00 Faculty Meeting in the commons
9:00-11:00 Department Meeting Time
11:00-2:30 Work Day
8:00-12:00 District PD
1:00-3:30 PLC work time
January 5th: 1st Day of 2nd Semester
The grading window for 1st semester opens Friday, December 16th at 8:00 AM. Grades will be due Tuesday, January 3rd at 4:00 PM.
Please see the e-mail from Sandy Kuhl or contact Katie Greer is you have questions.
Knights @ 90:
FHN currently has 88.07% of students attending 90% of the time.
Attendance Committee Meeting Update for 12/15/16
- Ways to turn around the downward trend of attendance this past month
- Admin increasing the numbers of Diversionary meetings being held
- How discipline numbers and attendance percentages are related
Explore these ideas for next semester:
- More random incentives
- More emails/announcements to staff like we did during Attendance Awareness Month
- Better advertising for Fun Fridays
- Possibility of increasing the sanitation schedule of desks and other items in the classroom during cold/flu season
- Better/more efficient ways to correct IC entries
- Possibility of creating a report to notify teachers when one of their students gets a certain number of absences
- Placing attendance info on StuCo's toilet talk flyers
- Speaking to teachers about tying Attendance to the Effort PD we’ve been working on
Climate Committee Meeting Update for 12/12/16
- Quarter 2 Climate Results –Only percentages were discussed at this time
- Revisiting staff commitments and format for doing so
- Incentives for hitting 80% participation on climate survey other than jeans day
- ISAP procedures and students with challenging behaviors
- Add a quick update on committee progress at faculty meetings, rotate through the different SIP areas once per month
- Recognize committee members during faculty meeting updates and invite all to attend
Behavior Team Meeting Update
- Discipline Data up to this point
- Increase in overall ISAP occurrences
- Upcoming Restorative Discipline Academy
- Get feedback from those attending the Restorative Academy in January
- Analyze ways to raise building-wide awareness of Restorative practices
- Implementing escorts for those students who continue to have tardy issues during 3rd quarter
Technology Committee Meeting Update
- Updates from ITS and IT
- Topics for 2nd semester Lunch and Learns
- Network and Mastery Connect issues
- Have staff who are attending METC lead a share out of the sessions attended
- Inform staff of ways to help network speed
- Have Chris Witthaus available during final exams to assist with any Mastery Connect issues
2016-2017 Staff Commitments to the Learning Environment
In order to improve the climate/environment at FHN, the staff commits to:
- building positive relationships with students and staff members.
- listening to the concerns of others and by helping to problem solve those issues.
- helping students to see the relationship between effort and success.
- being open-minded to new ideas.
- addressing any inappropriate behavior immediately to help set an expectation of appropriate hallway and classroom behavior.
- giving clear and consistent expectations for device use and by enforcing them.
- counting tardies consistently.
"Steve Kelly became a grandpa on Nov. 28th. Steve’s son and daughter-in-law welcomed Miss Olive Renee Kelly. :) He’s a VERY proud grandpa, as you can see from the photos posted on his Facebook page!"--Kim Coil