The THIRD GRADE Times
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
This week in Third Grade...May 2, 2016
May is indeed a busy month for third grade! Essentially, it is the Month of Mary and we will be learning about praying the rosary, making rosaries at home and celebrating our class mass. It is also the month in which we will culminate the third grade service learning recycling project as part of our outreach curriculum. Creativity abounds in our classrooms!
We are also excited to participate in the St. Rita Elementary Speech and Debate Tournament on Thursday, May 5, at St. Rita's Catholic School. The tournament begins at 3:30 PM and finishes at approximately 7:45 PM. We've stretched our oratory skills to include poetry recitation, duo interpretation (poetry and storytelling) and storytelling. Come and support our team! MJS Poets Rock! Also be sure to check in to our third grade resource page for updated information and resources.
Mrs. Adanto, Mrs. Sears and Mrs. Garcia
STUDIO MJS! MJS Benefit 2016 - Saturday, May 7, 2016
Please check out the link below for exciting information and updates regarding our school's annual benefit event, STUDIO MJS!
Third Grade Speech Team Practices and Tournament Logistics at St. Rita Catholic School, Sierra Madre, CA (91024)
Thursday, May 5, 2016 is the St. Rita's Elementary Speech and Debate Tournament. We will have after school practices from 3:30 - 4:45 PM (allowing a few minutes of cushion for carpool duty!) on the following dates:
Monday, May 2
Tuesday, May 3
Wednesday, May 4
Tournament Logistics for Thursday, May 5, 2016: Parents with children participating in the Elementary Speech Tournament at St. Rita's Catholic School this week may pick up their child at 2:00 PM. Please be sure to sign them out at the front desk. Our team needs to be at St. Rita's Catholic School, 322 N. Baldwin Ave., Sierra Madre, CA (91024) by 3:00 PM to register and be ready to participate promptly at 3:30 PM.
Speech team coach, Cathy Lin, will be there by 3:00 PM to help with our team's registration and to organize our groups for competition beginning at 3:30 PM. Both Mrs. Adanto and Mrs. Garcia will also be there pending the end of day carpool duties at MJS.
MJS Sixth Grade PSA's For Earthquake Preparedness 2016!
Sixth Grade's Final Shake Posts! Please click and read for tips on staying safe during earthquakes.
Earthquake PSA: Are You Prepared? https://youtu.be/CJvnKkAwJ8k
Earthquake PSA: Even Zombies Need Supplies https://youtu.be/DXBVc0YiAhg
Earthquake PSA: Drop, Cover, & Hold! https://youtu.be/5JZhd7NbJhg
Earthquake PSA: Escape Route https://youtu.be/zqocE-_9BTQ
Earthquake PSA: Secure your Structure https://youtu.be/IZV0y7T-fEo
Learning To Pray The Rosary...
This month third graders will be learning about the history of the Rosary and how to pray the Rosary. The Rosary is not only a mental prayer, but also a vocal prayer in which we meditate on the virtues of the Life, Death, Passion and Glory of Jesus Christ and His Blessed Mother, the Virgin Mary. The rosary owes its origin to St. Dominic.
Our Rosary project is a family project for third graders at MJS. We look forward to seeing all the beautiful and creative hand-made rosaries which will be displayed on our hallway board the week of May 24, 2016.
Spelling City...Front Row...Online Resources for Math and Spelling Practice...
Coming Soon...MJS' 8th Annual Recycle & Read Week May 2016! Time to Recycle & Read!
The 8th Annual Recycle & Read Week will be held in mid-May, in the Library. The Library Committee organizes the event, inviting parents, students, faculty and staff to stop by and pick up books to take home, free of charge. Here are Recycle & Read dates to remember:
- Now through May 12: drop off your gently used books at the Library
- May 10 & 11: Recycle & Read Curbside Drop-Off on Euclid Avenue, 7:40-8:00 am (you can drop off your bags/boxes of books with the Girl Scouts during morning carpool)
- May 13: Grand Opening of 8th Annual Recycle & Read Week, 7:30-2:30, Library
- May 16-19: 8th Annual Recycle & Read Week, 7:30-3:30, Library
If you are interested in volunteering to help sort donated Recycle & Read book donations please sign up at www.signupgenius.com or contact Stacy Sartor, 2016 Recycle & Read Coordinator!
A Digital Request From The MJS Yearbook Staff...
The students in the yearbook elective are planning on putting together a digital album and need photos from the MJS community!
If you have any photos taken on a camera or smart phone, please click on this link http://tinyurl.com/mjscommunityphotos
You'll be taken to a page where you can upload photos to our MJS yearbook gallery and help us capture all events from April until June.
The Yearbook Elective
Deepening Our Learning...
*Science - Recycle Reach Out Project...Students continue to collect and analyze data related to paper recycling at MJS and Animal Habitats...Students research food chains and webs. Recycling Impact On Our Communities and World...Our actions affect the world at large and recycling reminds us how we can make a difference. Students will take a deeper look at how recycling can have a positive impact on the world in which we live and how important it is to both the natural environment and us.
* Social Studies - Our Community, Our World - Pasadena! Students will be learning about Pasadena history, researching iconic landmarks, and visiting the Pasadena Museum of History.
* Math - Topic Nine - Fractions! Students are introduced to fractions as equal parts of a whole using hands on applications, problem solving and homework practice.
Six Traits of Writing - Students continue apply writing conventions for sentence types, word choice and voice in classroom writing assignments.
MJS Lower School Talent Show: Mayfield’s Got Talent! Tuesday, June 7 K-2 Performance 9-10am 3-4 Performance 11-12pm
Run thru for all performers on Monday, June 6 11-2pm
• 1st -4th graders are invited to participate.
• Each student may only participate in one act.
• Acts can be no longer than two minutes.
• Please note that acts are to rehearse outside of school only.
• Karaoke tracks only, no lip syncing.
• Only 4th graders are allowed to perform with a group, grades 1-3 solo acts only.
Upcoming Third Grade Events
- May 5, 2016 - Rescheduled from April 28th! Elementary Speech and Debate Invitational at St. Rita Catholic School, Sierra Madre (91024), 3:00 PM (Registration) - 3:30 (Start Time) to approximately 7:00 PM. MJS Third Grade Poets Rock!
- May 11, 2016 - Field Trip to Pasadena History Museum, Pasadena, CA 9:30 AM - 12:00 Noon.
- May 16-20, Annual Recycle and Read at MJS!
- May 16-20, MJS Arts Week!
- May 20, 2016 - Third Grade Class Mass, MJS Chapel @ 11:00 - 11:45 AM. Note: Time change due to conflict with Spring Concert.
- May 20, 2016, MJS Spring Concert
- May 25, 2016, Reach Out Assembly, Greg Smith Memorial Gym
- May 27, 2016, Service Learning Showcase Exhibits
- May 27, 2016, Half Day - Dismissal at 12:00 Noon
- May 30, 2016, NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
- May 31, 2016, Lower School "Moving Up!" Day