1. Are your kids ready? Minnesota state law requires that children enrolled in school are to be immunized against certain diseases, unless medically or non-medically exempt.
a. Check out the Shakopee Public Schools district website for a complete list of immunizations required.
2. If your child has any health conditions that require medication, please remember to have all the paperwork filled out prior to bringing medication to school.
Please reach out to Nichole Fleming, RN, LSN at 952-496-5804 with any questions.
Art Lines from Mr. Olson
Greetings from the Art Department!
Well, I hope everyone had a relaxing summer and is excited to start the school year! In the art room each grade level will be starting their first lessons. Kindergarten and 1st grade will be focusing on the Rainbow Order of colors: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Violet. The 2nd and 3rd graders will be reviewing the color wheel and will be learning about the intermediate colors: Yellow-Orange, Red-Orange, Yellow-Green, Blue-Green, Blue-Violet, and Red-Violet. The 4th and 5th Graders are going to be learning how to take a masterpiece artwork and create a masterpiece appropriation of the artwork they choose. Ask them to explain what this is when you see their finished creation.
Jackson Art Specialist
Music "Notes" from Mrs. Flatness and Mrs. Peoples
We are SO EXCITED to have 5th grade band this year!!! Band lessons with instruments will start September 22 (or perhaps a little later depending upon how the schedule shakes out. Be on the lookout for an email update from Mrs. Peoples with more specific dates in the next few weeks). If you have not completed the Google form that confirms your registration in band and your final instrument choice, please do so by scanning the first QR code below. That information from the Google form will help me finalize that schedule. Many thanks if you have already completed it! Included in the form is a supply list which also has a QR code below. Thanks for your help! We’re excited to start making BAND music together!
Mrs. Peoples: email@example.com
MUSIC PROGRAM DATES:
November 10th 2:00p.m. 2nd grade
December 9th 2:00p.m. 1st grade
January 20th 2:00p.m. 3rd grade
February 10th 2:00p.m. Kindergarten
March 17th 2:00p.m. 4th grade
May 19th 2:00p.m. 5th grade (Band and General Music).
Shakopee’s music curriculum is based off of the National Music Standards and can found by going to this website: https://nafme.org/wp-content/files/2014/11/2014-Music-Standards-PK-8-Strand.pdf
Please feel free to email us if you have any questions!
Mrs. Flatness, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Peoples, email@example.com
Physical Education Fun with Mr. Casey and Mrs. Tanberg
Welcome back to physical education class with Mr. Casey and Mrs. Tanberg. We are excited to see all of you back in the gym working hard and having fun! During September we go over our gym expectations. All students will need to have a pair of gym shoes for PE class. These shoes should be clean tennis shoes that can be left at school for PE class. No heels, boot, or crocs will be allowed to be worn as gym shoes.
We will begin the year with some fun games that incorporate following the gym rules before we move on to our first unit of soccer. During our soccer unit we work on improving dribbling, passing, trapping, and shooting skills before we move to some small sided soccer games. This is a very popular unit at Jackson and the kids love to use the skills they work on to play soccer at recess.
After our soccer unit, we move on to our next fall sport, football. We teach the kids how to hold a football, throw a football, catch a football, and even how to punt and kick a football off a tee! We play fun throwing and catching games with the younger kids, and football related games such as capture the football with the older kids.
Mr. Casey and Mrs. Tanberg
Mr. Jeff Casey (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mrs. Susan Tanberg (email@example.com)
Greetings from the Learning Commons!
Library Update and Media Classes
WELCOME BACK FROM THE LEARNING COMMONS STAFF!
Mrs. Gigi Hilgers is our library media specialist! She is excited to be returning to Shakopee Public Schools. She has been an eighth grade English teacher for 11 years, and she has been a media specialist at the middle, high school and elementary levels for 18 years!. She loves reading and learning new technologies and sharing that with students! She loves to show students how to find our ebooks online! Mrs. Hilgers enjoys spending time with her family, especially her two grandsons, Knox and Karter. She also loves to walk, swim, bike and go boating!
Students in Grades K and 1 will be checking out one book to start this year. Grades 2 and 3 will check out 2 books to start out the school year. Grades 4 and 5 will be able to check out 2 books to start. Mrs. Hilgers will encourage students to check out more books as long as they demonstrate that they can keep up with their books that they borrow throughout the school year. Students will start out learning about how to find books and take care of books in our learning commons and how to find our ebooks online, as well as how to use their Virtual Student Library Card. After that, students will be using Strawbees for building challenges.
The Learning Commons is showcasing its second year of the totally revamped Shakopee Public Schools hand-on curriculum Learning Commons Curriculum, featuring the use of coding and maker space items as well as team-building and teamwork activities. We still are all about the books as well!
Mrs. Hilgers wants to thank all students and families for attending the Book Fair on September 6 and 7 during Connect and Assess days. If you are interested in volunteering in our media center, please see this information here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RugeUfbTXnpobXNIw_syhxk6uAqgeCxnQfOJQRvHPVk/edit?usp=sharing
Some of the tasks volunteers can do: help to shelve books, repair books that need repair, organize book displays, help to organize materials, help students with book selection, collect returned books from teachers who are visiting the Learning Commons for book checkout.
September PTO Jackson Jottings
Hi Jackson Families! It’s a pleasure to “meet” you all! I’m Crystal Nellermoe and I’m your new PTO President! This year will be FULL of many fun things, and we’re ready to get back to a “normal” year of celebrating our children, staff, and parents!
First, I’d like to introduce you to your new Board for the PTO. Amanda Hanson: Vice President, Sjanna Boe: Secretary, Sonja Keltgen: Treasurer, Corrie Mendenhall, Carly Schroeder, Jenna Lange and Heather Haavisto-Muir: Members at Large, and Becky Keller and Lexi Schilling: Teacher Representatives. We are a strong team that is here to make this year the best one yet!
Here are a few upcoming events:
- The first Parent PTO meeting will be Tuesday, September 13th in the Gifford Cluster (top floor) at Jackson. This first meeting will be school security focused with a presentation from Mr. Bjerken. All are welcome to join us and learn about how our school keeps our kids safe. There will be a flier coming home during the first week of school with all the details!
- The Fall Webstore will be launching on Tuesday, September 6th and will run through the end of the month. There are many new fun designs, including a Mr. Bjerken t-shirt, and items that will make great holiday gifts or gear for your children! We will have fliers available at Connect and Assess meetings and post a link on our Facebook page as soon as it launches! Be sure to check that out!
- Our School Picnic will be Thursday, September 15th from 5:30 – 7:30 at the School Playground. Your child should be coming home with a flier during the first week of school. PTO will be selling pizza and water during this event, and a DJ will be there for the kids to get their dance on!
- Our one and only Jackson Fundraiser is right around the corner and will run from October 3rd-14th. This year we’ll be doing a color run, the Jackson Splash Dash, which will be held at school on Tuesday, October 18th. Keep an eye out for fliers and Facebook posts full of information! We can do so much for our children, staff, and parents because of this event. Thank you all for your support every year!
- Our first Jackson Meal Night will be Monday, October 10th. Eat in or dine out from Pablo’s and PTO will get 15% of the profits that evening! Plus, it’s so much fun for the kids to see their friends and meet their families too!
- Grandparents/Special Friends day will be held on Friday, October 14th. The kids LOVE to bring their grandparents or special friends and show off Jackson! Be on the lookout for a flier with all the details!
As always, if you have questions or concerns that you believe we can help with, please don’t hesitate to ask! Also, if you want to get involved with the PTO and any of our events, we’d LOVE to have you! Please send a message to us on Facebook or our email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you haven’t joined our Facebook group, please do – it’s where we post many updates and information on our events. Search Jackson Parents on Facebook to be added as a member as it’s a private group.
Again, looking forward to an exciting year – Crystal Nellermoe, PTO President
Info and Reminders
Important Meal Reminders
Free meals are no longer provided by COVID federal funds. Student meal accounts will need to be funded in Infinite Campus. Free or reduced meals can be offered to families that qualify. Applications also impact school funding. Digital applications can be completed in Infinite Campus. Printed applications are also available in our main office and at the district office. For tips on how to fund meal accounts in Infinite Campus, click here.
For additional details on free and reduced meals, click here.
Health Services Resources
Parents/guardians should call the attendance line when a student will be late or absent 952-496-5803.
All visitors are required to check-in at the front office and must be screened through the Raptor system during normal school hours.
Now Hiring Part-Time/Full-Time Paraprofessional Positions, Food Services and More
Training provided, job share responsibilities and weekend/summer/school breaks off. Click here for a list of positions and to apply.
We encourage families to download the Seesaw app on your smartphone or bookmark on a computer to gain access to important school communications and teacher messages.