February 26, 2016
In this edition, you will find:
- READ Act and English Learners Support Session Information
- Family Conference Training Slides for TPs
- READ Family Conference Resources for April 4th
- Retention Conversation Resources
- Reminder for Updating Plans
You MUST Sign up in AVATAR for the READ Support Sessions above
READ Family Conference Resources
- K-5 READ Conference Flowchart
- READ Plan Conference Protocol revised to include ELL specifics and talking points
ELL Specific Conferences:
To Share with Families: The documents below should be ordered through print services. The invitation letter on the website has not been updated yet with the correct date, but print services has these correct date when you order.
- Invitation Letter for Families
- Family Guide for Supporting Families with Reading
- READ Act brochure for families
Contact Print Services. Work orders will be paid for by DOEL.
For questions, contact Print Services Ext. 28282 or Shelia Siegert Ext. 28358.
Some children may need more than one year to catch up and meet grade level expectations. The law states that retention may be an option, but there are many other interventions and supports available. Research shows that repeating a grade level may not be the best solution in most cases.
For English Language Learners (ELLs): Appropriate instructional strategies for both language and literacy learning are determined with support from a teacher who specializes in English language learning. Colorado state law does not recommend retention for students who are on track in developing English.
Please refer to the MTSS Website to view APS Retention Guidelines and Resources