The Hour of Code - December 9 - 13
During your Computer Lab time for the week of December 9-13, instead of showing BrainPop videos or FasttMath, have your students participate in The Hour of Code. The program is actually a game that students play. It is fun and easy to use. Any student (and teacher) in grade grades 1-5 can participate.
How it works in the Computer Lab -
- Students log on to computers
- Grades 3-5 - Log on to Edmodo and look for my The Hour of Code post. All the links and directions are in my post. You will need to play the introductory video on the Promethean board since it is a YouTube video.
- Grades 1 & 2 - I've put a link to the site on the Student Portal. I recommend that you start by demonstrating what to do on the Promethean board. When you open the link a short introduction video will play that provides you with the directions. Once they've seen the video they are ready to try it on their own.
- Dropbox User - If you register as a teacher, you can get a free 10GB upgrade for your Dropbox account. Here's the link to register.
If you do participate, please let me know. I'm interested in knowing how many classes participate and how the kids liked it. If I find that our students like "code", I might want to offer an after-school program on coding for 3-5 graders.
WANTED - Kids Using iPads
Click here to see a list of the apps installed on the school iPads. The apps marked through in red are in our iTunes account, but not currently installed on the iPads.
Ways to Use iPads in Your Classroom
- small group remediation - drill one topic such as multiplication facts or main idea
- small group - Edmodo
- small group - QR activity - use QR codes to direct students to video or website
- Educreations - students record a video that demonstrates their comprehension of a topic and ability to apply the knowledge (keep video for data)
- Large group - use Infuse Learning for informal assessments - record your data
- Large group - Google Earth - explore geography of an area that you are studying (Egypt, Greece, etc.)
- Large group - iMoive Trailer - create a movie trailer that allows students to apply the knowledge that have of a certain topic
Check out the iPads using the Equipment Checkout Calendars on the Teacher Portal.
Are You an EDuTech?
Upcoming EDuTech Sessions
12/3 - Web 2.0 Tools - Remind101 & Class DoJo will be introduced.
12/17 - PhotoStory 3 - Learn how to make a movie in less than 30 minutes.