Notes from the Nest
Roebuck Elementary School Parent Newsletter
RES 2020 Science Fair Winners
Congratulations to the following students for winning at the 2020 RES Annual Science Fair! These projects will go on to compete at the Piedmont Region III Science Fair! Good luck!
RES 5 News Show
100th Day of School
Congratulations to all of our participants in the RES Spelling Bee! Isaac Childs will represent RES as our Spelling Bee winner! Shout out to Mackenzie Kiser, our runner-up!
3rd Graders Spartanburg Animal Shelter Project!
· The fundraiser for the Spartanburg Animal Shelter begins this Monday, January 13th and will continue until the end of January.
· During our PBL we learned how changes in a habitat can affect animals that live there.
· Our driving question was: how can we assist or protect stray animals in our community when changes in their habitat occur?
· Students had a choice of creating a public service announcement, making a stray cat shelter or conducting a fundraiser.
· Groups who chose fundraiser created posters to hang around the school and a brochure to send home to students. Their goal was to collect supplies for the Spartanburg Animal Shelter.
· Other groups created stray cat shelters to put at the dumpsters at RES.
How Does Your Garden Grow?
The Garden Club is seeing the fruits of our labor as we were able to pick our first crops from our garden. Some of our broccoli was ready and the rest continues to flourish. As our cabbage continues to grow, we are seeing the first cabbage heads beginning to form. As we finish out the winter months, we are looking forward to our spring planting.
SOAR Student Expectations
The latest update to the Powerschool parent app for Android devices is not working. While PowerSchool is working to resolve this issue, parents can still access the Parent Portal through a web browser on a tablet, computer, or your mobile device. The link to the Parent Portal is available at spart6.org under Parents & Students. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Morning Learning Lab
School Wide Rules
RES Essential 15
*School begins promptly at 7:45 am (the first bell rings at 7:40 & the tardy bell rings at 7:45). After 7:45, a parent or guardian must sign their child in at the front office.
*All car riders must be picked up by 2:45 each day. We do have a paid After School Care Program. Information can be provided by the front office.
*Please use the car lines to drop off and pick up your child.
Week of February 17
Make-up Day for Inclement Weather
PTO Chocolate Sales begin (Feb. 17-March 2)
Fun Run at Veterans Park 3:30-4:30
Drama Club 2:30-3:30
D6 Horizons Social 4:00-7:45
Lego Robotics 2:30-3:20
Girls on the Run 2:30-3:30
Drama Club 2:30-4:30
3rd Grade STEAM Program 8:30
2nd Grade (Ms. Berry, Mrs. Bobo, & Mrs. Eidson) to FMS Lincoln Science Center
Chess Club 2:30-3:20
Sign Language Club 2:30-3:20
Garden Club 2:30-3:20
Girls on the Run 2:30-3:30
RES Spirit Day
2nd Grade (Mrs. Fortenberry, Mrs. Harris, & Mrs. Barrientos) to FMS Lincoln Science Center
Math Explorers begins 7:00-7:30
Good News Club 2:30-4:00
- February 25 Girls Who Code 2:45-3:30
- February 25 Pet Pals 2:45-3:30
- February 26 Terrific Kid Breakfast 8:30
- February 28 Jr. Beta Club Induction 9:00
Prescriptions from Nurse Beth
All students are required to have an up-to-date immunization certificate on file in order to stay in school. If you have been contacted about this, please make sure this is taken care of no later than Friday, September 14th.
If your child has been ill, remember the 24 Hour Rule of Thumb:
· 24 hours fever free without any fever reducing medications (Tylenol, Motrin) for 24 hours before returning to school
· 24 hours without nausea, vomiting, & diarrhea (and tolerating a normal diet)
· 24 hours of receiving medication such as antibiotics, eye ointment/drops
Remember students may not transport medications to and from school. A parent/guardian must bring in all medications.
Let’s stay healthy! Studies have shown that school absenteeism due to illness is reduced when good hand washing is practiced (before & after eating, after restroom use & playing outside).
It is my privilege to care for your child while here at school. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have.
District Six Food Service Program
District Six Mobile App
In case you’ve missed the announcement, District Six has unveiled a new mobile app. Be sure to visit the App Store or Google Play and download to your cell phone or tablet and select “yes” to receive emergency notifications. We will soon delete the original District Six app, so be sure to download the new app today!
Join our School Facebook
Do you need to know updated information about Roebuck Elementary School? Please visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Roebuck-Elementary-287273514725108/