Barry 5th Grade Team Orange
October 23rd, 2020
- Friday 10-23 - End of 1st Quarter
- Friday 10-23 - AR goals DUE
- Monday 10-26 - Friday 10-30 - Halloween Spirit Week
- Friday 10-30 - Grade cards sent home
- Friday 10-30 - Fall Parties
- Wednesday & Thursday 11-4 & 11-5 - Fall Conferences
Full costumes are not allowed, but if your child would like to wear a themed shirt, headband, etc. that would be great. Just remember to be school appropriate!
Please sign-up via the link emailed to you by your homeroom teacher. These times will look different for Mrs. Petty's homeroom because of athletics.
- Check your child's planner and trapper every night for important information including behavior updates, papers that need to be signed, and homework assignments.
- Please go through your child's trapper WITH them as there are important papers that need to return to school. Make sure you don't throw anything away without checking with your student first.
- HOMEWORK: Students should read 30 minutes every weeknight and complete their reading log.
Cold Weather Gear
If you would like to send a coat, hat, gloves, etc. for your child to keep in his or her locker, you may do that as well!
If you need assistance in getting a coat, etc. for your child, please email your homeroom teacher or our social worker, Stephanie Richison, at email@example.com
What's Happening in 5th Grade?
Last week we took our Inference Unit test and everyone did an AWESOME job! This week we have focused on meeting our AR goals with lots of independent reading. For second quarter, we will be jumping into theme and figurative language!
In writing, we have been writing a descriptive piece using lots of details and imagery. Students worked to create a description of a monster (it could be silly or scary) using enough details that a friend could draw it. In second quarter, we will be working on writing a narrative.
Our class will take their weekly spelling test every Friday. Please help your child study for this test each night. The weekly list and activity ideas will be sent home via email at the beginning of each week.
Students have a nightly requirement of reading for 30 minutes and completing their reading log. Reading consistently is important to your child's success in school. Please help them to be responsible and take the time needed to complete this homework expectation.
AR goals are set based on STAR scores and student reading levels. Points can be earned by reading "Just Right" books and taking AR comprehension quizzes. Visit AR Book Find to check the reading level of a book, see how many AR points it is worth, and find recommendations at your child's reading level.
Scholastic Book Club Orders
Class code: VP9T6