Keeping you "In the Know"...
"Learning begins at the edge of your comfort zone."
* Dinah Chancellor: Wednesday, January 20th- Dinah will be working with Kinder, 3rd grade, and 4th/5th grade math teachers on mathematical thinking and reasoning--and the types of questioning that generates it.
*Dinah Chancellor: Thursday, January 21st-Dinah will be working with 1st and 2nd grade teachers on mathematical thinking and reasoning--and the types of questioning that generates it.
Below you will see the poster that has some great questions students can use to support their conversations with problem solving. Some of you have these in half posters from last year. If you do not have one and would like one to support students with their conversations, please let me know so I can get them made for you.
1. ESTAR is the screener for grades 2-5. ESATR is still on hold for us as a district. The state is still working out some kinks. We are thinking maybe we can try it out in May to see what it's like and how it feels to administer it so that we are ready to roll it out with our students in the fall.
TEMI is a lower level screener. We are now able to use TEMI as a data source for those kinder and first graders who may be coming through SST or for those who are new to our country.
2. The Advanced Math Learner contract has been loaded for 4th grade cluster 3.
5th Grade MATH Professional Learning: 1/14/16
C&I dept. is looking forward to our PL via Google Hangout with ICs and all 5th grade math teachers participating (including special program teachers and administrators). Below is a list of some housekeeping items that need to be communicated to 5th grade teachers prior to the 14th:
1. Workshop Registration: All participants will need to register on Workshop by the 14th athttps://sweduphoria.friscoisd.org/wshop/default.aspx. Please make sure special program teachers know about this as well.
2. Google Form: All registered participants will receive credit for the course once they complete a couple reflection questions. The form will be sent to participants through workshop email the day of the PD (that is why it's important they are registered).
3. Google Hangout: The PD will be conducted through the tool Google Hangout. One teacher will be the spokesperson for the team when we are interacting. Feel free to pull up on the projector. Your DLC will help with setting-up the team with Google Hangout before the PD date. Anyone participating in the PD needs to be together in one room since we have a limit on the number of computers that you can use Google Hangout at one time.
4. Representation Handout: please read the Representation handout (attached to this email) before the professional learning.
- Professional Learning - 7:20-8:20 - Admin Training Rooms
- Kindergarten - April 1, 2016
- First Grade - March 25, 2016
- Second Grade - March 18, 2016
- Third Grade - February 26, 2016
- Fourth Grade - February 19, 2016
- Fifth Grade - February 12, 2016
We will celebrate the successes teachers have had with implementing the ELAR cluster pre-assessments and the utilization of that data in developing common formative assessments. Teachers will need to bring (1) an example of how they have used the ELAR cluster pre-assessments to create CFAs and (2) a technology device.
- Kindergarten - April 1, 2016
TALK, READ, TALK, WRITE
- Our professional learning at our last staff meeting goes hand in hand with what Ms. Mesa presented to us with Talk, Read, Talk, Write. I wanted to pass along a clip of a kinder teacher implementing Talk, Read, Talk, Write within her classroom.
- Here is a video of the kindergarten using one of the Talk Read, Talk Write strategies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=actb9jgnBog