ASL 1 Spring 2015 The last 9 weeks
What we'll be learning.
What's next in ASL?
- To expand ASL skills and topics of conversation
- To demonstrate an understanding of the continuum between ASL and English
- To demonstrate an understanding of topic-comment structure
- To incorporate numbers into conversation
- To become familiar with the types of ASL name signs and how they come to be
- To use possessive signs and deixis appropriately
- To sign about favorites
Watch this video about Topic Comment
Think about the facial grammar that's involved with Topic Comment
Non-Manual Markers for Topic Comment
The topic (with or without) phrase:
raise eyebrows, tilt head & pause on the last sign
The comment phrase:
adjust eyebrows, head head tilt, eye-gaze for statement, question, etc.
So what do you need to remember about using Topic-Comment structure?
· Raise eyebrows and tilt your head slightly forward when signing the topic.
· Hold the last sign of the topic a little longer than the other signs.
· Pause slightly between signing the topic and the comment.
· When the comment is signed; revert to neutral signing posture and facial expression.
Now try out what you've learned.
Access the quiz on Edmodo and type in the Topic-Comment gloss of the English sentences.