Three Little Pigs
Integrated Engineering Lesson
Learning Objectives and Standards
- SWBAT- Explain that combining different materials is necessary when using rocks, soils and minerals for construction.
- Explain how engineers need to consider material properties of rocks, soils and minerals when creating something new.
- NGSS- Generate and compare multiple possible solutions to a problem based on how well each is likely to meet the criteria and constraints of the problem.
Ask- What is the problem?
How can we make a structure or object more sturdy?
What materials do engineers need?
Gather Information- What has been done to solve the problem? What science concepts are in effect here?
Things to consider:
Weight, Resilience, Strength, Appearance, etc.
Imagine-Constraints and Criteria? What ideas can solve the problem?
Plan- Select a design and gather materials.
Cup 1- 1tsp of glue, 6sp of water and sand.
Cup 2-4 tsp of glue, 4 tsp of water and sand.
Cup 3- no glue, 6tsp of water and sand.
Create- Make a prototype and test it.
- Pouring water over it (rain)
- Setting heavy objects on top
- Blowing with fans
Have the students work in groups of 4 to create a new, more resilient structure using the same or different materials. Once their prototypes are created have them re-do the tests.
What did they do?
How did they do it?
What other things could work?