The Bulldog Growl
Week of September 17th
"Reach Every Student Every Day"
- The weather has started to cool off! Please make sure your child is properly dressed to be outside. All students are expected to go outside during recess. Shorts should not be worn during cool weather days. However, students may wear shorts under sweatpants if they want to wear shorts for PE.
- Mrs. Abi sent home the book, The Trumpet of the Swan, with each family this week. We are so excited to build a community of readers in our school! A list of chapters for each week was also sent home. Before Monday, we hope all families can read Chapters 1 & 2. If you have any questions, let me or Mrs. Abi know!
- DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) will begin next Friday. Sheriff Doug Solem from Beadle County will lead the students through the class. A permission slip was sent home on Friday so please make sure it is signed and returned before next Friday. If you have any questions, let me know! DARE will take place during the school day.
- A Self-Defense Class for kids and adults, sponsored by the LIW PTO, is coming to De Smet on Sunday, September 23rd. For more information, click this link.
- Band Lessons will start next week. Students are responsible for bringing their instrument to school on days that they have lessons. Students need to bring their instruments for whole group band on Monday of this coming week (but not Wednesday or Friday, unless they have a lesson). The lesson schedule is posted below!
Band Lessons Schedule
This week, our story, Thunder Rose, was a tall tale. We read quite a few tall tales over the course of the week and at the end of the week, the students spent time writing their own tall tales! They definitely have quite the ideas! This was a fun project for them and a great way to work on merging the elements that make up the stories we read with our own writing! We will wrap them up next week.
Playing Headbandz to practice Vocabulary
We spent a lot of time inside this week as the weather just kept on raining! The students really enjoyed playing games during their recess breaks.