GES Staff Update-Week of 12/7/15
By now, you all know that I absolutely cannot resist a Kid President video clip!! His precious, yet simple, message about gift giving applies to us this holiday season. Dr. Ryan mentioned the other day to leadership that GCISD wishes it could provide pay increases and holiday bonuses to each staff member. They wish they could honor our extra efforts and the innumerable things we do to make a difference for kids each day. Unfortunately, that is not our reality with current public school taxes in Texas. In the meantime, I hope you are finding joy in the December calendar and are continuing to play along with our 'Reindeer Games' each day. We are all sounding extra cheery as we walk the halls with our bells on! Remember that you can only earn a bell when you are actually wearing your necklace (our sped team is the only exception)!
As Kid President says, "It's about spreading the love every day...and giving gifts that make the world better!" The smiles you provide and the extra holiday cheer you share with our GES family over the next few weeks are an amazing gift! I look forward to how we will all make the halls of GES jingle as we continue to earn bells for sharing some holiday cheer!
Principal Walk Throughs
Please read over the schedule for your walk-through and the rubric they will use to provide feedback. As always, let me know if you have any questions about their visit. I know this will be a time for us to SHINE and share the wonderful things we do at GES each day for our Stars! Thanks for your extra efforts as we prepare!
- Current schedule for their visit: https://docs.google.com/a/gcisd.net/document/d/1438V7BUcQTsEfI9tCh-1B_vsdb-4QmV05ndQ9-iaVdM/edit?usp=sharing Please email Nancy by Tuesday morning if you see a scheduling conflict.
- Learning Platform Rubric Principle I - Students Construct Meaning and Principle V - Students Collaborate Around Meaningful Work are the areas of focus for our campus this year. These are represented on the rubric I've provided the principals to use as they walk our building. Instructional Rounds "look fors" will be recorded by the visiting principals on the following Google form: http://goo.gl/forms/s2b3K4MtDj
Hour of Code
- Let GCISD know you're participating by filling out this form https://goo.gl/te57bi and register at https://hourofcode.com/gcisd.
- Printable cards can be found at: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/19iirhX9c7ZfA9cccSYe-YU_fru7GnQu64qmNZImaZbQ/edit?usp=sharing
Grade Level Newsletters
- In your grade level newsletters, please include a note asking our GES families to donate individually-packaged Goldfish and/or Pretzels for students that are food insecure regarding a nutritious snack during the school day. As you can see, a note is also being sent in our Monday Message asking for donations
- Please remind your grade level families that we need their help and donations to make this holiday season a good one for many GCISD families. We are collecting items for the GRACE Christmas Cottage. Items are listed on the Monday Messages dated 11/23, 11/30 and 12/7. All unwrapped GRACE Christmas Cottage items are due Monday, 12/14 and can be placed under the Christmas tree in the cafeteria.
- Classroom teachers...we hope you saw the December lunch/duty coverage gift we sent you. Kim, Nancy, Angela and I hope you enjoy a little bit of time together as a team for an extended lunch. Here is the link again: https://docs.google.com/a/gcisd.net/document/d/1FOSaI5PLuWdRs3VZSa_ByIYPR4AsXYXMV4_pl6BBwuA/edit?usp=sharing
- We are excited for Elfie Selfie Day and our school-wide Sing Along on Friday, 12/18! Please note that we are planning on starting our sing along at 9:30 and class parties will begin at 10:45.
- Six Weeks Progress Reports go home/are due on Wed., 12/9.
- Don't forget: ALL RtI student data should be entered into DMAC no later than December 18th (reading & math).
- Campus websites should be updated by 12/18. We need to help our parents find contact information. On your teacher/staff pages, please include contact information in the home page of each directory page:
- Discipline referrals should be completed in Skyward by the teacher who witnessed the incident. If an issue occurs at lunch, recess, or MAPS, the teacher who was in charge is to complete the form.
EMAIL ADDRESS (typed out, not embedded in a link)
CONFERENCE HOURS (if applicable)*Contact information should be prominent/easy to find. If you have an additional website outside of Schoolwires, the link to this site should be placed below your contact information. Please see Nancy Hale if you need assistance with Schoolwires.
November Rock Stars: Dodd, Eubank, Spencer, Fowler, Helms, VanHook, Moore, Killebrew, Creel, Lewis, Stackfleth, Choppy, Gillmen & Hendrickson. **Please see Heather for a special recognition of your extra efforts!
House Bill 2610
1. A Recovering American Soldier
C.O. Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue
NW Washington D.C.
2. Holiday Mail for Heroes
PO Box 5456Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456
Feel free to bring letters to Gina on/before 12/17 and Liz will be sure they get postage and are mailed to the appropriate place. (Please be sure to note which group you're sending them to as you bind them together.) Thanks for brightening a soldier's holiday and for making writing a purposeful activity this month!
Monday, 12/7 Choir (2:45-3:45pm)
Tuesday, 12/8 Tacky Christmas Sweater reveal & Team Leader at 3:00 in the Library
Wednesday, 12/9 Please send home sack lunch order forms for 12/18
Wednesday, 12/9 HMS Choir Program for grades 3-5 (1:30pm)
Wednesday, 12/9 KC Club, Student Council & Running Club (2:45-3:30)
Wednesday, 12/9 Red Robin Spirit Night 6-8 (PLEASE sign up for a shift to work!) Encourage your kids to go - the school earns 20% of all sales!
Thursday, 12/10 1:1 PLCs with Nancy & Amy; HMS Band concert* (9:15am)*optional
Thursday, 12/10 Choir (2:45-3:45pm)
Friday, 12/11 GES Hour of Code DAY!!
Friday, 12/11 GES Staff Holiday Party at Deb Lewis' house (invitations were placed in mailboxes & one is posted on the workroom bulletin board)
Monday, 12/14 Choir (2:45-3:45pm) & GRACE Christmas Cottage items due (unwrapped)
Tuesday, 12/15 Geography Bee (8:15am)
Thursday, 12/17 PTA Cookies & Cocoa in the Learning Commons (2:45pm) & Choir (2:45-3:45pm)
Friday, 12/18 School-wide Sing Along at 9:30am
Friday, 12/18 Holiday parties at 10:45am & Early dismissal at 11:45am
Monday, 12/21/15-Friday 1/1/15 Winter Holidays
Monday, 1/4 Teacher Work day
Tuesday, 1/5 Welcome students back with free jeans day! (exchange day for 12/9)
Where We Will Be...
- Tuesday, 12/8- Heather out all day
- Wednesday, 12/9- Heather out from 11:15 to 12:15
- Wednesday, 12/9 - Principal Walk Throughs
- Thursday, 12/10 - Angela at PLC at PDEC
- Monday, 12/14 - Nancy out at Liaison/Coaches meeting
- Wednesday, 12/16- Liz at Principal's Meeting
- Thursday, 12/17- Heather out 11:00-1:00
Monday Message to Parents
Please be sure to check out the following important information:
- GRACE Christmas Cottage gift drive
Disclaimer: IT WILL BE A WORK IN PROGRESS UNTIL LATE SUNDAY NIGHT!
Thanks to the Kinder Team & Ms. Ray for Pizza & PJs Fun!
K-2 Social Studies Materials
I have a little early holiday gift for you. As many of you encountered during November, the K-2 Pearson situation was not as we had been told it would be. Many teachers followed the directions and found that rather than the process for preparing the 6 generic logins to use, entire class rosters were populated with access to the program. We checked with Pearson about the situation, and they realized that they had inadvertently granted our district FULL ACCESS to the entire K--5 suite of My World social studies online.
Rather than trying to retract this, they have decided to allow us to keep this access for the remainder of the school year. Next year, we'll be back to the 6 login program, but for this year, you and your students are free to fully explore ALL of the resources in the program! Enjoy!
The following message was shared with parents last week...but has implications for us as a staff, too! Are you interested in learning more about LEAD 2021, GCISD's long range plan? You should subscribe to the new LEAD GCISD podcast at: https://goo.gl/z3rdsp It's a new way for GCISD to communicate information and successes with the community. A new podcast will be released every Tuesday until Christmas break.
- Lesson plans, or links to your plans, should be saved to our Google drive folder in the GES Faculty and Staff folder:http://bit.ly/1LqQ4sg
- Newsletters, or links to newsletters, should be saved to the Google drive folder in GES Faculty and Staff: http://bit.ly/1MAJbWP