Spanish Tutoring at LAC
Pasadena City College (D-300)
Schedule of Spanish Tutor
Mondays (Lunes) 1-4 then 4-6 p.m.
Wednesdays (Miercoles) 12-2 p.m.
Fridays (Viernes) 1-3 (LAC close 3:30)
Saturdays (Sabados) 11:30-2:30 p.m.
Strategies to maximize the tutoring experience
- Expect to receive tutoring every semester.
- Avoid misperceptions regarding tutoring (such as "tutoring is only for students with special needs." The fact is that students regulary receiving tutoring in the LAC have a higher GPA on the average than students who do not receive tutoring).
- Find out where and when tutoring is available.
- Don't be afraid to notify your instructor that you are receiving tutoring.
- If tutoring is not available in your subject, ask why it is not.
- If tutoring is not available when you are, ask if it could be.
- Attend tutoring sessions early in the semester.
- Attend tutoring sessions regularly.
- Don't expect tutors to do homework for you.
- Come prepared for your tutoring sessions.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions (no question is too simple).
- Expect to have tutors listen to you and ask questions to clarify the problem.
- Arrive in the earlier part of walk-in sessions, not just before the ending time.
- Understand that group tutoring is often more beneficial than one-on-one tutoring.
- Don't expect tutors to have all the answers.
- Don't talk negatively about your teachers to the tutor; they can't change that.
- Utilize your tutor as another resource for your learning, along with your library, learning center, teacher, and fellow students.
Learning Assistance Center
Pasadena City College LAC
1570 E Colorado Blvd, D300
Pasadena, California 91106