A newsletter for Alta Vista Staff~Week of April 2, 2018
Don't Forget! Next Week's Calendar
- Teacher Work Day on Monday, April 2 **Jeans allowed**
- Vertical Alignment Meeting on Monday, April 2 at 2:00 pm
- Faculty Meeting on Wednesday, April 4 **STAAR Testing Procedures**
- Adopt A School Meeting on Thursday, April 5 at 9 am
- Reading PLCs on Friday, April 6
- Mayborn Museum Discovery Box on Friday, April 6
- STAAR Pep Rally on Friday, April 6 at 2:00 pm
Coming Up: Family Arts Festival (Gr 1-2 Performances) on Thursday, April 19 at 5:30-7:00 pm
Interventions & Tutoring
Next week is MATH for intervention times for grades 2, 3, and 5 during the school day.
FOURTH grade will be doing WRITING interventions next week.
From Your Captain
- Upload and document evidence towards the completion of your 2 goals in Eduphoria Strive
- Complete "Part II: Goal Reflection" AND "Professional Development Plan" in the "Goal Setting & Professional Development" form in Eduphoria Strive
- Gather evidence to support your performance in Domain 4 of TTESS (Professional Demeanor & Ethics; Goal Setting; Professional Development; School Community Involvement) **See example that Ms. Mattoon put together for a good idea of what we are looking for.
- Print out your student achievement data to discuss (District scores, Rigby, Istation, Education Galaxy, Smarty Ants/Achieve3000, or other documentation)
- Schedule time for your End of Year Conference (Logan/Helton will email you)
Steps 1-4 are to be completed by Sunday, April 22. End of Year Conferences will begin immediately on April 23. Once the End of Year Conference is complete, your TTESS Appraiser will release your Summative Annual Appraisal on Eduphoria for you to sign (on paper and electronically).
**Please review the forms below as you prepare for your End of Year Conference.
STAAR Testing Resources
If you did NOT receive STAAR security training, please see Mrs. Logan immediately.
If you are a NEW teacher or just want to freshen up on STAAR security procedures, here is the link to the training website: https://www.texasassessment.com/administrators/training/
New teachers will need to complete Modules 1-3 and print their certificate for each module; turn them in to Mrs. Logan.
If you need to send a boy to the restroom when it's not break time, please find a trustful buddy to go with him.
I hope this helps resolve the issue because no one should be making these messes or having to clean them up. If you have additional concerns, please email Mrs. Helton.
The 3 C's
NEED A GRADE? Once your students have had practice using "Make the Case" give them a similar problem or 2 that they have to answer on their own and make them justify their answers.
Email Mrs. Helton if you would like to check out the Makerspace Cart this month! If you have already done the March cart, feel free to email Mrs. Helton to discuss a different challenge for April for your class.
Family Art Festival
Specials teachers and 1st and 2nd grade teachers will be sponsoring different arts activities throughout the evening, and we will even have a "Sandwich Art" snack station and cookie decorating. :)
While the focus of this event is grades 1-2, all students are encouraged to attend to show off their art work and engage in the different art activities that we will have around the school.
Here are the tentative plans: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17I3tyS_LXHokmuXhGZ9SJ0pBI5MLzTLVyw_Jt5DZLJY/edit?usp=sharing
FREE Math Resource
I know we hate getting lots of email, but I did sign up for the MashupMath daily email, and it's one I look forward to reading every day. It usually includes a free themed math challenge for your class that makes for a great warm-up or bell ringer.
If you don't want a daily email, you can still check out the collection of free math challenges here: http://mashupmath.com/weekly-math-challenges/. Here's an example below.
Mrs. Helton is now collecting recycled items like bottle caps, plastic yogurt containers, cardboard food boxes, and other items that students could use to create projects in Makerspace. Mrs. Helton will have a white basket in her office to collect your items (PLEASE make sure they are clean so we don't attract bugs).