Murphy Middle School ENews
August 8, 2018
Welcome Back is just around the corner!
The first day of classes is Monday, August 13th. Below is important information about the beginning of school. Parents can manage their ENews subscriptions on Parent Portal at- https://parentportal.pisd.edu/Login.aspx.
We look forward to another great year at Murphy Middle School. Go Mavericks!
6th Grade Open House - Tomorrow Night
Tomorrow night, Thursday, August 9th is the 6th grade Open House. See the schedule below. We look forward to seeing you and your student there. It is a great opportunity to meet your teachers, walk through your schedule, and see the school. Please print an updated class schedule from Parent Portal as schedules may have changed.
First Day of School
Parents are welcome to walk their child into the building on the first day of school and accompany them to their lockers. There will be plenty of teachers and staff available to assist students. Staff will remain in the hallways assisting students until all students have successfully made it to their first class.
Murphy Middle School Bell Schedule
Carpool, Arrival, and Departure
· We provide crossing guards between our building and the inner carpool parking lot and between the MMS property and the Kimbrough Stadium parking lot. You may want to consider dropping off at these locations in the morning or making arrangements with your child to meet you at one of these locations in the afternoon.
· Entering into our circular carpool area from 8:00 - 8:30 and from 3:20 – 3:40 can be a time-consuming endeavor; please be ready to spend time waiting if you enter the carpool loop. Please be courteous and patient.
· Please do not stop in the crosswalks. Students need a clear and safe path to cross through traffic.
· All student drop-offs and pick-ups must occur with your vehicle’s passenger side tires against the curb that runs closest to our building. Please do not drop your child off in the left lane; we never want students walking in between cars. Students dropped off in the carpool lane or the the Kimbrough parking lot will enter the building at the main entrance.
· Beyond the Eastern exit of the inner circle parking lot, traffic should move in a single line.
· You may pull away from the curb and into the left lane after drop-off or pick-up if the lane is open and it will move the carpool line forward.
· If you see your student standing at the crosswalk area of the carpool loop in the afternoon, you may bypass the line of cars – if the outer lane is clear – and pull past the crosswalk to pick up your student. Again, please make sure that your vehicle’s passenger side tires are against the curb.
· If your student will be walking to or from school, there will be crossing guards at the light near our entrance.
· The bus lane is located on the East and South side of the building. For this reason, there should be no drop-offs or pick-ups in the east parking lot near the tennis courts or in the bus lane.
· Do not make a U-Turn after dropping your child off at the curb of the road running between Murphy and the Kimbrough parking lot. If you choose to drop your child here, pull far forward (parallel to the gym) and then exit by using the road running in front of Kimbrough Stadium. NO U-TURNS.
· There is a double turn lane from the South bound lanes of Murphy Road. Please consider this as you pull in for morning drop off and afternoon pick up. If you want to enter the carpool circle, you need to be in the right or westernmost turn lane off of Murphy Road. The inside or easternmost turn lane will allow you to either go straight or turn left (north) toward McMillen.
Where do we go in the Mornings?
- · The building opens at 7:45AM.
- · All buses drop off on the east side of the building. Students that ride the bus enter through the cafeteria doors.
- · 6th grade bus riders will walk through the cafeteria, into the rotunda, and then teachers will direct them where to sit in the hallway.
- · 6th grade carpoolers or walkers will enter through the front door, proceed to the rotunda, and then teachers will direct them where to sit in the hallway.
- · 7th and 8th grade students will report to the cafeteria each morning.
We will release our 6th grade students around 8:10 on the first few days so that they have plenty of time to open their lockers and find their first class.
Please remember that students may only receive lunches from someone who is listed on their emergency contact card; do not bring lunch for children other than your own.
As this is a statewide policy and a safety issue, please understand that we will not allow students to eat lunches provided by anyone except for someone on their emergency contact card.
To check your child's balance and add money to his or her account visit:
*This is link is also posted in Parent Portal
Site Based Improvement Committee Parent Volunteer Form
The SBIC is composed of staff, community members, parents, business representatives, and students. It meets three times a year, typically right after school, to review academic goals. If you would like to be included in the random drawing for this year's committee, please complete the form below and then click "Submit."
If you have any specific questions about SBIC, you may contact Mrs. Ware at firstname.lastname@example.org
Athletics Information- 7th & 8th Graders
7th and 8th grade volleyball tryouts will start on the first day of school from 3:30-5:00. All players interested in tryouts must have their physicals and medical history form turned in by the first day of school. Also you must fill out all of the Rank One paperwork on line. Instructions are attached. Students that do not have their paperwork turned in are not eligible to try out. This is a state law and no exceptions will be made. Try outs will not be made up for late paperwork.
If your student is playing football all paperwork must be turned in by the first day of school. Any 8th grader that has missing paperwork on the first day of school will not be eligible to play in the first game due to state law on required practices before a game.
If your student is planning on trying out for any sport this year I would recommend going ahead and filling out all of the Rank One paperwork now. Physicals for basketball season are not due until the end of October. Physicals for track and cross country are not due until mid February.
June 21, 2018
Dear Parents and Guardians:
I hope you have had a great summer. We utilize a system called Rank One which allows you to complete required paperwork forms electronically online. All forms are available on Rank One. Two forms will need to be turned into the coaches. Those two forms are the physical examination form and the medical history form. All other forms can be completed online.
Please register online at:
https://planoisd.rankonesport.com. You will need your child’s school identification number to register. This system will allow us to have better oversight on all required athletic paperwork. It will also be much more efficient for the coaches and easier for the parents and guardians.
Thank you for your support of athletics. I hope your son or daughter has a great year.