Ms. Wertheim's Little Leaders
News and Resources from Room 203
February 8 - February 12
Hi Room 203 families,
I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. Our week is off to a great start. Today we celebrated the 100th Day of School! Can you believe it?! We had a fun day. We wrote about "When I'm 100..." and visited our Kindergarten Reading Buddies to make 100th Day of School necklaces. Please scroll down to see what we're up to this week.
What we're learning about this week 📚
- Reading- We are using illustrations to understand characters' emotions and motivations.
- Writing- We are continuing opinion writing and will be using reasons and examples to support opinions. They are writing about their favorite food.
- Math- We are identifying the attributes of polygons and quadrilaterals, including sides, angles, and vertices. We will also being doing a fun math art project creating cityscapes inspired by the art of Paul Klee.
- FUNdations- We are continuing Unit 9, which focuses on the r-controlled sounds er (her), ir (bird), and ur (burn). Our Unit 9 test will be on Tuesday and we will begin Unit 10 on Wednesday. For more info, please read the letter attached to their Fundations homework or visit the Fundations page on my blog: http://mswertheim.blogspot.com/p/reading.html .
- Science- Students will begin learning about sound.
- Social Studies- We will begin learning about how different cultures impact communities.
Snapshots of Learning from last week ✏️
Important Dates and Reminders: Mark your Calendars 📌
TONIGHT Tue, Feb. 2nd: Asheville City Schools Restructuring Forum at Hall Fletcher Elementary:
Come show your support and hear the latest on ACS restructuring!
Hall Fletcher Elementary will host a community forum to discuss the possibility of splitting their current K-8 campus into a pre-K-3 and 4-8 campus to include the current preschool. Teachers, parents and staff along with ACS Board Members will be on hand to discuss how this option will affect the entire district. Read the WLOS article here
Thu., Feb. 18th: Family Voices/Community Outreach Night at the Montford Center
Fri., Feb. 19th: Early Release Day
Thu., Feb. 25th: Tea & Talk with the Superintendent for Claxton Families 7:30-9 a.m.
Tue., Mar. 1st: PTO Meeting 6 pmat the Grant Center
Fri., Mar. 11th: Early Release,PTO provides lunch for staff
Tue., Mar. 15th - Chicken Dinner & Math Carnival
Fri., Mar. 18th - 6 pm Light the NIght Auction at the Salvage Station, 468 Riverside Dr., Asheville - casual dress
Sat., Mar. 19th: Spring Grounds Work Day: Parents are welcome to volunteer to help
Thurs., Mar. 24th: Family Voices/Community Outreach - Grant Center, 5:30-7:00pm
Mon., Mar. 28th - Fri., Apr. 1: Spring Break
Ms. Wertheim’s and Ms. Roberts's Class
Wish List 🌟
- To help create a calm and peaceful classroom environment, we would LOVE an oil diffuser for our classroom. If you are interested in donating, please let me know :)
- Skinny dry erase markers
- Snack (healthy options please) Pre-packaged snacks such as fruit snacks or granola bars are so helpful to pass out snack quickly :)
Positive Quote of the Week
Class Dojo, Behavior Assessments, and Homework 📓
Behavior assessments are filled out each day by your child. I am so proud of their self-reflection skills! They've done an excellent job with their self-assessments so far. Please be sure to discuss their achievements with them and sign the assessment each evening.
Homework this week consists of:
- Read each night for 20 minutes and fill out reading log/Bingo board
- Math packet (due Friday)
We will begin reading responses next week.