Quiet on the Set!
Using and Creating Digital Book Trailers
- Collecting Media
- Creating a Trailer - PC
- Creating a Trailer - Mobile
- What Now?
- What is the purpose of the trailers at the beginnings of movies?
- What to they include?
- How do they work?
Talk vs. Trailer
Book trailer: n. a video advertisement for a book which employs techniques similar to those of movie trailers.
Digital Booktalk: n. a combination of both!
- Engage reluctant readers
- Literacy - digital, visual, traditional
"When did you STOP reading?" - http://youtu.be/gokm9RUr4ME?t=2m3s
"Knowledge of the fact that digital is the preferred first language of the media culture may be of some help leading the way to possible solutions to overcoming literacy deficiencies." Robert Kenny, UCF
Who makes book trailers?
Create buzz, sell books, advertise
begin a lesson, model summarization, provide a general story outline, advertise
practice summarization, build critical thinking skills, advertise
Let's go to the Movies!
Click Sample Trailers.
Book Trailer Showdown
Tips for Success!
- Remember, it's a "book" trailer - not a short movie.
- Don't always summarize the plot.
- Create a mood.
- Keep it short!
- Spend time on the script
- Find the call to action - "read this book because..."