Knightly News: EXCEL
Week of May 23rd
We are approaching the Finish Line--SGMS is on track to Finish Strong!-
- Having your child in attendance on time and for the full day each day (8:20 am - 3:20 pm)
- Motivating your child to be actively engaged in the learning and free from distractions
- Review standards that have been taught throughout the year and reinforced during boot camp to showcase their best on EOG's
- Leave cell phones at home OR off in bookbags--they will not be allowed to have them on during testing at all as it will cause a misadministration
- Following dress code
- checking current grade status--Students are in danger of retention if failing 2 or more CORE classes (ELA, Math, Sci, SS)
Summer School: June 14th-July 25th
You may register your child by:
1) returning pink form to admin
2) calling the school office and have secretary register your child
3) emailing Ms. Brake our Curriculum Facilitator at firstname.lastname@example.org to register
BREAKFAST AND LUNCH INFO:
The federal waivers that allowed all schools to serve free breakfast and lunch to all students are ending this summer. To ensure that students who qualify for free or reduced-price meals are able to receive those meals on the first day of school, we are asking parents to fill out the application at www.lunchapplication.com. This will establish a family’s qualifications for meal discounts for the first 30 days of the 2022-23 school year. We will also have paper copies for you to complete at our family night to take care of ASAP.
A new application must be completed after July 1 for the remainder of the school year. One application per family is required so please put all students from your household on same application even if they are at Elementary, Middle or High school.
Vaping Epidemic! Please take note:
The vaping epidemic continues to affect our students and our schools. The latest national statistics (2021 - NYTS) 11.3% of high school students and 2.8% of middle school students vape.
The GCS Nicotine Vaping Prevention Toolkit was adapted with permission from the Tobacco Control Branch of NCDHHS. It contains resources for families, and cessations programs to share with youth who want to quit. See attachment below for resources at your fingertips.
Attendance Matters--Compulsory Attendance Law in North Carolina states that all children AGES 7-16 must attend school
Our School Social Worker will be following up on all Tier 2 and 3 attendance please ensure your child is at school when they are well.
Last quarter: Pope, Brown, Kane and Groff had the highest % of attendance for their homerooms at 94% or higher. Who will have the highest % for Quarter 3, announced this week?
- · Football summer workout info meeting for current 6th and and 7th graders Friday 5/27 3 pm in the pit.
- · Southern Guilford Middle School--2022-2023 Cheerleading tryouts-this week-students should meet in the pit after dismissal and have rides pick them up at 5:45 pm.
· May 23rd: Summer school registration due to ensure transportation
· Modified schedule for May 24-31
· May 24th: Rdg GRADES 7 AND 8 ONLY;
· May 25th: EOG Rdg GRADE 6 AND GRADE 7 AND 8 Rdg makeups
· May 26th: EOG Math GRADES 7 AND 8 and 8th Math 1 ONLY
· May 27th: EOG Math GRADE 6 AND GRADE 7 AND 8 Math makeups
· May 30th: Memorial Day Holiday
· May 31st: EOG GRADE 8 Sci and 7th Math 1 AND ANY MAKE UP'S;
· June 1st: Grade level awards 12:15-7th grade; 6th grade 2:00 in Gym
· June 2nd: 8th Grade Celebration of Excellence 9 am ; 8th grade Formal 6-8 pm
· June 3rd: Last day of school
· June 6th Mandatory Workday and 7th Workday
· June 8th and 9th: Enrichment and Remediation for students Not proficient on EOG's
· June 9th and 10th: Retest EOG's
· June 13th-July 25 Monday-Thursdays except 6/20 and week of 7/4 Summer School
**ALL STUDENTS MUST COMPLETE ALL EOG'S FOR THEIR GRADE LEVEL. IF YOUR CHILD IS ABSENT ON ANY TEST DAYS MAKEUP'S WILL BE REQUIRED SO PLEASE LET US KNOW IF THERE ARE EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES WHY THEY WILL NOT BE THERE ON TEST DAY SO WE CAN MAKE ARRANGEMENTS TO TEST ON ANOTHER DAY.
Our administrative team is available to assist with any and all SGMS questions or concerns. You may reach us at 336-674-4266 or by email. We love your partnership please reach out if you have suggestions or shout outs for our amazing staff.
Tracy Roof, Principalemail@example.com (students with last names P-Z)
Lorie Rainey, Assistant Principalfirstname.lastname@example.org (students with last names G-O)
James Moore, Assistant Principalemail@example.com (students with last names A-F)