December 5, 2021
Messages from Principal Lefere
THANK YOU!I want to thank all families for communicating with the front office when your child is not feeling well. This helps us keep students and staff healthy and safe.
Harvest of LoveThank you to our Howbert community for contributing to this year's Harvest of Love food drive. Below are the total pounds of food collected by each grade level.
- Preschool - 43.6 lbs.
- Kindergarten - 129.4 lbs.
- 1st Grade - 181.8 lbs.
- 2nd Grade - 262.7 lbs.
- 3rd Grade - 179.2 lbs.
- 4th Grade - 211 lbs.
- 5th Grade - 81.4 lbs.
Howbert's Drama Club Performance
Three students approached me with a proposal to begin a drama club at Howbert. Their excitement and enthusiasm was contagious. It led to Mrs. Tatum and Mrs. Dickey volunteering to organize and support students in putting on a production of Charlotte's Web.
The production was quite entertaining and knowing that students were the leads on creating the club, planning, and putting on the production added even more value.
Thank you to all the students in the drama club, Mrs. Tatum, and Mrs. Dickey for providing us with something more entertaining that watching Netflix!
LOST AND FOUND
On Thursday, December 11th, we will have all items in our lost and found out in the front of the school all morning and afternoon. Please take a minute to look through the items and take what is yours. We will also have students visit and look for lost items during the day.
After this opportunity, we will be donating all items not claimed.
Howbert Guiding Coalition (SAC)
- We will be having a special Guiding Coalition meeting on Thursday, December 16th.
- In an effort to provide a better opportunity for families to attend, we will have two meeting times; one at 8:15 a.m. and another at 4:00 p.m. Families can also choose to join either meeting virtually via Webex (https://cssd11.webex.com/cssd11/j.php?MTID=m3221053bd5db5b5bb97df72291c99a14).
- During the Guiding Coalition meeting I will be presenting information about District 11's Academic Master Plan and school pathways. I will then ask for questions and feedback about Howbert's possible application to become a pathway for outdoor education.
- Howbert is also looking for a long term teacher substitute (half-time) to serve as our gifted resource teacher during the second semester. Mrs. Herrera will be out on maternity leave. Please contact Toby Lefere if interested.
Choice Open Enrollment for 2022-2023 School Year
- Our Choice Open Enrollment window has opened! It will remain open until February 15th, 2022. Available spaces will be assigned and families will be notified in late February or early March. Families can apply here: https://www.d11.org/Page/308. Be sure to select the 2022-2023 school year.
UPDATE: 30th Street Corridor Project
- Century Link will be working on Water Street between 30th and 31st Streets for several days starting on Monday, December 6 to relocate a transmission line from overhead to underground as part of this project. There will be traffic control with possible flagging in the area.
- Click the link below for more information about the project work and timeline.
The Holiday Gift Shop is back for another year here at Howbert! This provides our students with the opportunity to purchase gifts for their loved ones. It also gives them real-world experience with handling money and budgeting. Information went home last week in Thursday folders.
WE NEED YOUR HELP! We need happy Holiday helpers to volunteer at the Holiday Gift Shop :) . Please follow THIS LINK to see the dates/times that are available.
❤The gift of your time is priceless to our students❤
ILLNESS AND COVID REMINDER
Please note: If someone in your household is being tested for Covid, please notify the office.
Band & Orchestra Concerts - December 15th
The orchestra concert will begin at 6:30 in the gym. Orchestra students should arrive in Mrs. Dickey’s music room at 6:00 to get tuned up. Parents should go straight to the gym to get their seats. Students can leave cases and jackets in Mrs. Dickey’s music room against the walls. After the orchestra concert, they may go back in there to quietly pack up their things. Please make sure they take anything they brought with them from the music room (music, instrument and jacket). Band parents will be coming in to get seated as soon as the orchestra concert is finished. The band will be getting ready at the same time so this could be tricky!
The Band concert begins at 7:15. Students should arrive at 7:00 in Mrs. Dickey’s music room. When Mrs. Kennedy is finished with the orchestra concert, she’ll join band students in the music room to get warmed up. Band parents, please wait to get your seats until the orchestra concert is finished (no later than 7:00.) After our concert, we’ll need to clean up everything. Chairs, stands, etc. And make sure Mrs. Dickey’s music room is all cleaned up, too. Parent help would be greatly appreciated.
Please remind your child to practice regularly, about 20-30 minutes a day. They have a list of songs to be practicing. When they practice, what you hear should sound like real songs now!
Dress for the winter concert is “fancy”. Dress up nice!
Be sure the students remember to bring their instrument and their music!
- Everyone, including students will be required to wear a facemask. Extras will be available if needed.
- Everyone will need to enter through the front door and adults need to scan the QR Code for the health screening form before entering the building. (Children don’t need to.) Here’s the link: Visitor Health Screening Form
- We ask that families give adequate audience spacing to follow the Covid safety protocols.
The students are working hard and getting very excited to perform for you!
Thank you for supporting Music Education in our schools!
If you have any questions, please email.
See you there!
The Howbert PTO meets the 2nd Thursday of every month at 4pm. We will be meeting in-person but will also have a virtual option for those that would prefer to attend on WebEx.
*** Our next meeting is on Thursday, December 9, 2021 at 4pm. ***
We would love to see you at the meetings! It is a great way to share your thoughts, hear about happenings in the school and support the Howbert staff and students. And you don't have to commit to anything! Come to as many or as few meetings as works for you and your schedule.
📞Howbert Contact Info📱
Monday - Friday 7:30am - 3:30pm
Monday - Friday 8am - 2:30pm
Front Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tech Help: email@example.com