PV - Small Group Instruction
Continuum of Balanced Literacy, Eden Prairie Schools
Nothing small about Small Group Instruction
Small group instruction is designed to provide differentiated teaching to all students. While many small groups take place during reading, small group instruction can take place during any point during the day to help individualize instruction. Effective small group instruction incorporates weekly schedules, clear objectives, materials prepared and a growth mindset.
Small Group Instruction can be delivered through many different modalities including: strategy groups, guided reading, literature groups, high interest groups or self selecting seminars. Can you think of other ways to meet the needs of your students in small groups?
Prairie View Video Examples
Hello staff we are starting to create a collection of classroom examples of CBL (comprehensive balanced literacy). Our purpose with starting these videos is for staff to share great things that are happening in classrooms across our building.
Small Group Instruction and Your Coach!
- Ask you coach to model a specific small group instruction or you can model for your coach or a colleague a small group instruction practice.
- Ask you coach to video tape yourself teaching a small group instruction practice and reflect on it- the video tape is for your records only.
- Find out ways to collect different data on your students... how can you use reading logs or engagment surveys for flexible small grouping
- Ask your coach for Ideas of how to help manage the other students in your class while you are meeting with small groups
- Create a weekly schedule of small group instruction with your coach
- Create smooth transitions for when small groups change with your coach